What to buy prior to surgery? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What to buy prior to surgery? What to buy prior to surgery?

Unread 02-18-2011, 06:43 PM
Re: What to buy prior to surgery?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzyMarie View Post
Thanks for all the great idea's ladies. Not thrilled about the grannie panties but I can see why they would help ( : This site is really helping me get through these stressful days of waiting....Aniston & Cupcake - good luck with everything! Soon it will be over and we'll be on our way to recovery. Most comments I get from ladies who've been there are "it was the best thing I've ever done", so I'm clinging to that. Today one of my friends told me she was a little jealous! We'll see about that.
I had 4 friends, 3 had hysterectomies, 1 had endometrial ablation (and it was successful, never had any bleeding at all after that) and I was a little jealous. The 1 with ablation used to rub it in every time I complained about my periods. If your friend has problems also, maybe after you've recuperated and if she's still jealous, you could go with her to a consultation?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-18-2011, 07:26 PM

iPad. Games, books, facebook , music and online shopping made easy.
Unread 02-19-2011, 01:02 AM

I'll add cool packs/ice packs to the list, they've made the biggest difference to me post-op (I'm now 10 days out), I put them on my belly and they take away all the aches and soreness.

In hospital, the best idea I got from here (and believe me, I got LOADS of good ideas from here!) was a very small basket to hold all the bits and pieces: my glasses, iPod/MP3 player and headphones, lip balm, hand cream, face cream, throat soothers, pen and tiny notepad, wet wipes, my meds, etc. The basket is about the size of a CD case in all dimensions and it's great, I still use it now to carry the stuff from nest to nest :-)

Other essentials: the grabber thing, definitely. A nice soft squidgy pillow for those tummy moments (sneezing, coughing, laughing!). The belly binder. Tons of pillows for my nests (I have one nest in the bedroom and one downstairs in the living room) - I still can't sleep flat on the bed yet, so i use the pillows to prop me up in a semi-seated position and that's soooo comfortable. And tons of water to drink throughout the day.

Good luck for your surgery and your recovery, and yes, I'm another one who says this was the best thing I ever did, I wish I hadn't waited so long to get it done!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-19-2011, 01:15 AM

You want to stock your cupboard with easy prep stuff, soup, granola bars, easy nutrition. And water. Lots and lots of water! best of the best to you!
Unread 02-19-2011, 01:17 AM

That's what i did, i had a notebook and started writing it down my meds that is, I also bought me a backrest so i wouldn't have to lay all the way down once i came home that really helped me, my surgery was 2/1/11
Unread 02-19-2011, 02:40 AM

By the way, get the 500ml bottles of water, you won't feel like lifting anything bigger than that, and stack them at waist height so you don't need to bend to get them
Unread 02-19-2011, 07:42 PM

I brought a stocked bag to hospital for my hyst and a second surgery and the only thing I used both times was chapstick. It was a life saver. Best wishes!
Unread 02-20-2011, 03:12 PM

Ok, I think the biggest treat that I gave to myself and got me through any discomfort was to load my Ipod with relaxing music that I love- Yanni, Piano music, new age jazz and others that soothe me. I lived with my ipod on, pre op to stay calm while waiting, post op when alone in my room and every night to sleep for about 2 wks. I can't tell you enough how easy and calm it kept me and without need for pain meds.
Also, get some Underware that is several sizes larger if you are having a TAH, high cut, attractive. Only looking "granny" by the size and not style.
Get some DVD's that only you would enjoy watching- romantic comedy or such, as your own time.
Draw string pants. I liked my shower stool too, so that I cold sit int he shower and had a long handle puff sponge to wash my back and feel.
Had a lot of homemade broth ready and favorite whole wheat bread with low fat cheese for toasted cheese sandwiches which is all I ate for a long time. A plain cookie here and there or crackers. Good luck. Treat yourself well!
Unread 02-20-2011, 03:30 PM

My surgery is March 3 too. I got myself a blanket fleece and gas meds and printed a coupon to get colace for constipation. Lovely Have some books next to bed, puzzles, and my netflix list made out Getting anxious about surgery. Trying to get house cleaned, next weekend cooking some meals to freeze. Good luck to you. Hope all goes well with your surgery
Unread 02-20-2011, 04:23 PM

Thanks again for the idea's. Dolphin 670, I'm sure you're feeling as anxious as I am right now. I tend to spend too much time on this website but it really helps. Just got back from WalMart and got some nice lounge pants and PJ's. I read to get some that don't have the pants so I found something cute and comfy for the hospital. I like your idea of getting some meals frozen and ready to go, I'll have to do that this week. The hubby will be in charge so that will help him out. Plus my son, the future chef, plans on cooking for me too. Still need the grannie panties though, forgot those!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register