Pre-Op Hysterectomy: Open House Chat Thread - Today Feb 28, 2021 - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Closed Thread

Pre-Op Hysterectomy: Open House Chat Thread - Today Feb 28, 2021 Pre-Op Hysterectomy: Open House Chat Thread - Today Feb 28, 2021

Unread 02-28-2021, 08:50 AM
Re: Pre-Op Hysterectomy: Open House Chat Thread - Today Feb 28, 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_deforke View Post
Hi my name is Jenna I am going on 36 and have my hysterectomy on the 3rd. They will take my remaining ovary out and check for endometriosis in and on my bladder kidneys and liver and anywhere else. I have had so many laparoscopic surgeries since I was 19 so I am ready. I have been in pain since December and I can’t stand or sit or lay without needing to be on pain medicine and a heating pad. I have a two year old and some family flying in to help. I would love any support and advice along the way. Thank you.
Best of luck, we'll be on our tables at the same time A few weeks of getting pampered in recovery and you'll be free from having to worry about all of that for good!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-28-2021, 09:11 AM

Hi all, I'm Gracie. I'm going in for the abdominal version on 3/3, taking out the minimum possible.

Apprehension is a constant companion of course, but I've been reading every positive surgery/recovery story I can find and focusing on the benefits. Altogether, I can't wait to kick these fibroids to the curb and get my body working properly again! When it comes right down to it, there's not much else to do...being scared isn't going to eliminate the need for the surgery or speed up recovery.

Support is fabulous, thank Heaven I married a magnificent cook (I am in more danger of setting my kitchen on fire than complications from this surgery, lol) and all supplies will be laid in during the next couple of days. Aside from the dread of physical inactivity for weeks on end and some concerns about post-op pain, I'm fine. Perhaps I'm looking through rose-colored glasses, but I'd rather cross the complications bridge if I come to it.

Cheers to all the ladies that are going or have gone through this!
Unread 02-28-2021, 09:16 AM

Welcome Ladies to your Pre Op Open House! We are so glad you’ve joined us.

Awaiting surgery is often the most stressful part of this hysterectomy journey. All the worries & what-if's can swirl around and cause that anxiety I am so familiar with. Deep breaths Ladies, you can do this!

Here are some articles to help you prepare:
Make sure you drink lots of water in the days leading up to your surgery. It's very important to be well hydrated, this will make it easier for staff to start your IV and will put you on the best foot for your recovery.

Please ask all your questions, we are here to help.

Unread 02-28-2021, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_deforke View Post
Hi my name is Jenna I am going on 36 and have my hysterectomy on the 3rd. They will take my remaining ovary out and check for endometriosis in and on my bladder kidneys and liver and anywhere else. I have had so many laparoscopic surgeries since I was 19 so I am ready. I have been in pain since December and I can’t stand or sit or lay without needing to be on pain medicine and a heating pad. I have a two year old and some family flying in to help. I would love any support and advice along the way. Thank you.
Hi Jenna,
Having family in to help is such a blessing! Remember they are there so you can rest and heal. Let them do your laundry, tidy up after you, and keep your little one busy.

You have been dealing with endo for so long! Prayers to you that this surgery gives you the relief you need so you can get back to your regular life! I would like to invite you to browse through our Endo Articles List or post in our Endo Forum. There is lots of information and support here for you on your journey!

Unread 02-28-2021, 09:25 AM

Hello, I'm Wendy, age 55. Scheduled for Thursday 3/4 for a laparoscopic total with bilateral salpingo-oophorectomy. Reason: complex endometrial hyperplasia. I was just diagnosed less than 3 weeks ago and my surgery was scheduled barely 2 weeks ago so I've mostly spent the past 2 weeks getting stuff at work done to prepare for being out of the office (I'm a litigation attorney). My hearings for the next month are covered, and I don't have any trials between now and June so I'm good. Got my covid test done Friday (negative). Husband is here for support. Son (college senior) will be here for a few days. I'm just ready to get this done.
Unread 02-28-2021, 09:26 AM

Recovering with Small Children?

I see we have several ladies here this week that will be recovering at home with small children. It can be very difficult to not pick up your child, but it's so important to follow those lifting restrictions post op. Lifting puts stress on the stitches at the end of the vagina, as well as the rest of the pelvic area. Now is the time to strategize alternatives to lifting and carrying your little ones. Here are some articles to help:

Explaining Hysterectomy to Your Child
10 Tips to Prepare for Hysterectomy with Young Children
Recovering From Hysterectomy with Small Children

Enlist any and all help that is available to you! Local high schoolers may enjoy making a few dollars after school so you can take a nap; church groups or neighbors may wish to drop off a few meals. We only have one chance to heal right.

Sending hugs for a safe surgery and uneventful recovery!

Unread 02-28-2021, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klagmo View Post
Hello March Hyster Sisters!
My name is Molly. I am 48. I went in for my annual on December 28th.
They said that my uterus was "swollen". An ultrasound revealed an 11 cm cyst on my left ovary. The cyst is most likely benign. Overall the cyst makes my back tender, but I am not in acute pain.

My doc recomended taking out my uterus and cervix as well.
I am quite nervous about that, but I think it is the best thing to do.
Hi Molly,

It's normal to be nervous, waiting for surgery can be very stressful. And this has come about relatively quickly for you, so you've had less time to process. Removing your ovaries will put you into surgical menopause and it can be helpful to be prepared for that. I suggest keeping a list of any questions you have for your doctor, I found this very helpful.

You've got this, Sister! We will be waiting for you on the other side!

Unread 02-28-2021, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betharoni30 View Post
Hey ya'll. I am 39 and scheduled for a vaginal hysterectomy on 3/2 . I have grade 3 changes on my cervix and they have come back with other treatments. I have always had super heavy, painful periods. So it has to go. I will be keeping my ovaries as long as they look good.
I have three kids,3,16,15 and my hubby so plenty of help.
I am not looking forward to recovery. I have a list of daily reminders to help me remember to take it easy and slow.

Hi Betharoni30,

I also had a vaginal hysterectomy due to cell changes on my uterus. The best part of my hysterectomy was that I never, ever had to walk into the Colposcopy Clinic again! I did however still need to have pap tests done on the vaginal vault for a few years to ensure that no unhealthy cells migrated there. Sending best wishes that your ovaries are healthy & you are able to keep them. Please check out my previous post #16 for tips on recovering with small children.

Deep breaths, you can do this!

Unread 02-28-2021, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeFan14 View Post
Hello, I'm Wendy, age 55. Scheduled for Thursday 3/4 for a laparoscopic total with bilateral salpingo-oophorectomy. Reason: complex endometrial hyperplasia. I was just diagnosed less than 3 weeks ago and my surgery was scheduled barely 2 weeks ago so I've mostly spent the past 2 weeks getting stuff at work done to prepare for being out of the office (I'm a litigation attorney). My hearings for the next month are covered, and I don't have any trials between now and June so I'm good. Got my covid test done Friday (negative). Husband is here for support. Son (college senior) will be here for a few days. I'm just ready to get this done.
(((SmokeFan14))) I'm so sorry you're facing all of this. But, it sounds like you are catching things when they are most treatable which is very good in the grand scheme of things. And, with the quick turnaround, there's less time to worry and to have your mind race too far ahead of things (to the dark side!). Speaking of which, even if things would be a bit more advanced than CAH, surgery likely could still be your "only" treatment, so please try not to worry so much on that front.

For any issues specific to your diagnosis, we also have a Cancer Concerns forum you're welcome to check out, if you'd like. There's lots of good information as well as ladies who've been there/done that. We'll definitely keep our fingers crossed for the best possible final path report. Sending hugs and positive thoughts to you and everyone having procedures this week!
Unread 02-28-2021, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildyVivid View Post
I had never researched endo that much until this constant pain came into the picture. It explains a lot of the come and go pain I've had for years, the weight gain and difficulty getting it off, the IBS, hopefully, even the migraines. I'm extremely optimistic to see what new lease on life I'll have after I heal up.
Christina
  Quote:
Originally Posted by Satnin View Post
Hello, friends! My name is Natalie, I'm 43, and having a hysterectomy on 3/2. They're removing my uterus, tubes, ovaries, cervix, and doing reconstructive work on my colon. They are going to start laproscopically, and move to an abdominal cut if that isn't working. I was supposed to have this surgery on 2/18, but they moved my surgery back (two days before!) because the colon Dr decided to do a colonoscopy on 3/1. I have Stage 4 Endo that has really done a number on my bowel and now a section of it is dead and must be removed.

... I'm spending this entire week with my mom, who doesn't have stairs, and my biggest worry about this procedure and then surgery is bringing covid home to my mom...
Hi Christina & Natalie,

It sounds like you've both had a long road with endo. This is a tough condition to live with & I am sending my best wishes that your surgeries give you much needed relief! Please know that a hysterectomy is not considered a cure for endo, but with a proper surgeon and careful excision of endo implants, you may be symptom free. Below are a couple of articles I found interesting:

10 Things I Wish You Knew About Endo
10 Surprising Facts About Endo

Please feel free to check out the Endo Articles List or post in our Endo Forum. We have lovely ladies here who have walked this path & are here to help.

Natalie, I understand your concerns about bringing Covid home to your mom. Are you staying overnight in the hospital? If you and your doctor feel comfortable with you going home the same day as surgery, this could help minimize your risk. Communicate with everyone on your health care team that you need to be extra careful, and wear your mask the entire time you're in hospital. Ask your surgeon if there is anything else you can do to minimize your risk.

Closed Thread

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register