Female Boss thinks I will only need 2 weeks off! - Page 5 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Female Boss thinks I will only need 2 weeks off! Female Boss thinks I will only need 2 weeks off!

Unread 08-19-2013, 11:24 AM
Re: Female Boss thinks I will only need 2 weeks off!

What ever you do. Do not go back to work until You are ready
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-19-2013, 11:39 AM

Here's two sides of that coin. As an employer, I would be required to follow the written advice of the doctor, and if the doctor said 6 weeks, I would be legally obligated to give the employee six weeks. As an employee, I would probably take the full six weeks if I could.

On the other side of the coin, I had an abdominal hysterectomy on Wednesday Aug 7th. I'm not superhuman, I just own my own business so my not working was really going to hurt me the most. So by Saturday, Aug 10th, I had stopped in my office for 1 1/2 hours to go over my mail. By Monday Aug 12, I went in for 6 hours, by Tuesday Aug 13, I was back to work full time as normal. I had planned on just seeing how I was feeling, and quite frankly, I felt I was just fine and getting more walking in at work. I'm only taking Motrin so I'm not on any heavy medication.
I personally think that I am not dwelling on my incision or pain while I am at work. Just happy that life is getting back to normal.
I'd probably be one of those insensitive employers that would have said you'd be okay in two weeks, but I wouldn't have let you come back unless the doctor said you could.
Unread 08-19-2013, 11:44 AM

Everyones body is different. there is no way i would have been able to work at 3 days. i had complications from the surgery, bladder got torn, and had to wear a cath bag for 10 days, plus i had extremely painful gas pains pressing on my lungs so i had a hard time breathing and i just had no energy. take the time to heal. work will still be there when you're healthy again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-19-2013, 12:12 PM

Every time I see this thread I think "Female boss is an eejit".
Unread 08-19-2013, 02:49 PM

Hmm, I live in the U.K. and would ask for union support on this issue. I'd tell your boss you are going to seek advice and I'd be tempted to say that if returning to work too early causes you any physical or psychological problems you'll sue the company but you must be prepared to follow this up of course. Yuk, I hate bosses like that. Hope you sort it out.

All the best

Sharman
Unread 08-19-2013, 07:58 PM

I'm trying to remember if I had gotten dressed yet at two weeks post op.....doubtful! I think I was still in my pjs all the time
Unread 08-20-2013, 04:52 AM

Take all the time ,I thought I was superwoman thank god my boss said a min of 4/6 weeks I needed every day and I had no complications so don't be pushed
Unread 08-25-2013, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Facial View Post
How to best handle a female boss, who seems to think I should just need two weeks off after robotic hysterectomy. I've told her that my doc says minimum 6 weeks. I'm sure she will make my life miserable for being gone that long.
If you and your doctor have determined this surgery is the right course of action for you, she can't say squat. Your doctor determines your leave, not your supervisor. But, I wouldn't be rude or catty to her, just facts, as needed and the paper work from the doctor. This is a big deal surgery and it takes much longer than the first 6 weeks to fully recover. You can thank the healthy advertising for robotic surgery for some of your dilemma. Try to educate yourself as best as possible and connect with others on this forum who have had robotic surgery. I haven't seen one post of a woman who could go dancing at two weeks after a robotic hysterectomy!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register