New, Scared, Pre-Cancer or Cancer, Conization Soon, then Hysterectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

New, Scared, Pre-Cancer or Cancer, Conization Soon, then Hysterectomy New, Scared, Pre-Cancer or Cancer, Conization Soon, then Hysterectomy

Unread 01-29-2021, 09:05 AM
New, Scared, Pre-Cancer or Cancer, Conization Soon, then Hysterectomy

Good morning!

I learned last week that I have suspected high grade glandular lesion that is probably either AIS or CIS caused by HPV 16 and 18. I will have conization in the next two weeks or so (waiting for them to schedule) and then 6 weeks after that will have the hysterectomy. I understand that the cone biopsy will inform what kind of hysterectomy and how much they remove.

I'm scared of the cone biopsy itself, scared of finding out whether there is anything invasive going on, and scared for the hysterectomy! I have anxiety and this is, of course, making it much worse. I am grateful, however, for having had early menopause so that I don't have recovery and menopause at the same time.

The news also comes after extremely difficult circumstances under the general difficulty of a pandemic: my aunt died of COVID in May, both of my parents were suffering from medical issues over the summer and neither one could take care of themselves, so my mother lived with me for over two months and I was her full-time caregiver (while juggling my regular full-time responsibilities and navigating my challenging relationship with her), my live-in boyfriend moved out in August, and in October my [ex] mother-in-law, who was more of a mother to me than my own mother, died suddenly and unexpectedly 10 days after learning she had lung cancer.

I really haven't even processed all of that yet and now have to put my energy toward another challenge. I'm not one to ask for help usually - but I definitely need all the support I can get! I'm grateful for this community and appreciate all the information as I prepare.

I'm working on learning about how to prepare myself physically with exercise and nutrition and emotionally and spiritually as well. I want to practice being as accepting as possible of this time and transition and open to whatever help, guidance and wisdom will come.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-29-2021, 07:55 PM
Re: New, Scared, Pre-Cancer or Cancer, Conization Soon, Hysterectomy

Hi ChickenPaw -

First off, I want to say that I am sorry about the losses of your aunt and your ex-MIL. I am also sorry your boyfriend moved out, and that you are taking care of your mom with whom you have a challenging relationship with. You certainly do have much on your plate.

And now, you are facing a hysterectomy, which is MAJOR SURGERY. Recovery is different for everyone, but you do need to think in terms of weeks and not days. You will not be bedridden, but you will need to rest much. You will need help with cooking, cleaning, dishes, laundry, shopping, driving, etc. You will be able to do minor items around the house, but much will be left undone. You will have lifting restrictions: 10 lbs for 6 weeks and 20 lbs for 8 weeks is common. You will have driving restrictions: 2 to 3 weeks is not unusual. You will be doing brief walks, as these help you heal. But given your scenario, you may need to bring in outside help to deal with your mom.

Here are 10 Tips for Preparing for Your Hysterectomy. What I found most useful were the following:
-Meals in the freezer that can be put in the microwave
-Easy foods for breakfasts and lunches
-Loose fitting clothing
-Prepare your recovery corner with pillows and blankets
-Plan entertainment for your brain
-Small pillow to hold against your tummy for coughs and sneezes (or pet visits)
-Super clean your house
-Get your hair cut

Regarding menopause: You can experience surgical menopause after your natural menopause: Here is an article: Surgical Menopause after Natural Menopause

Know that all of your feelings, fears, emotions and anxieties are completely normal. Regarding your biopsy: I know this is easier said than done, but do not get ahead of your diagnosis. Take this one step at a time, one day at a time.

We will be by your side throughout this process.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register