Scheduled TLH Upcoming hysterectomy 11/2: Pre Op Questions | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming hysterectomy 11/2: Pre Op Questions Upcoming hysterectomy 11/2: Pre Op Questions

Unread 10-08-2021, 09:36 AM
Upcoming hysterectomy 11/2: Pre Op Questions

I’m 25 days away from surgery. I’m so excited but also incredibly anxious. My pre op appointment is next week and I have quite a list of questions that I want to ask. I’m worried that I am missing questions that I should ask. What do you wish you had asked but didn’t know to ask until after surgery?

Also, is this appointment just talking or should I expect an exam as well? I’m an anxious person so I like to be as prepared as possible for anything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-08-2021, 08:26 PM
Re: Pre Op Questions

The articles here helped me prepare for my pre op appointment. The things I most wanted to know were:
1. Was the plan for my cervix to be removed? (I couldn't remember what she had said.)
2. How long would I be in the hospital?
3. When could I drive?
4. What type of incision was she planning because was uterus was very large and I am short waisted.
Unread 10-08-2021, 09:31 PM
Re: Pre Op Questions

Hi Jh9 to HysterSisters!

I am so glad you found this site.

You may be examined at your pre-op. I was. For me, it was the standard pelvic exam, even though he had all of my MRI and ultrasound results, as well as my GP's notes. So, you probably should prepare for an exam if that helps your anxiety.

Write all of your questions on a pad of paper. And bring someone with you - a family member or friend. They cover quite a bit, and you will be nervous. I brought DH, and between the two of us we heard everything.

Here are articles that may provide information:
Making the Most of Your Pre-op Appointments for Hysterectomy
Questions for Your Pre-Op Hysterectomy Appointment

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-09-2021, 04:28 AM

When I had my first meeting with my surgeon, he did an examination to check on my fibroids, and then we discussed his surgical plan. We had another appointment a few weeks later, when he gave me the first of two prescribed shots of Lupron to shrink my fibroids to enable a laparoscopic procedure, at which point I'd done my research and recognized that his plan to do an LAVH, which would have mandated removal of my cervix, would not work for me because I'd never had children; we discussed it and agreed on LSH. Our next meeting was for my second shot of Lupron, and my pre-op appointment, when I signed the paperwork and asked questions like those in the above article. I wished I'd thought to ask about pain management, because I have chronic stomach issues, and it was only after I threw up on day 3 that I found out that narcotics were contraindicated for my particular condition. If you have a smartphone, then I suggest checking your app store for a notepad or voice recorder app, so you can record your questions and your surgeon's response. Best wishes for a productive appointment, and for a successful surgery and a smooth recovery!
Unread 10-13-2021, 01:18 AM

Thank you everyone for your replies!

I had my appointment today and had a huge list of questions written out. He reviewed my surgical plan: TLH with bilateral salpingectomy. There are zero plans to remove my ovaries, thankfully. I’m only 30 so I would prefer to not be thrown into menopause.

My surgery is exactly 3 weeks away. I’m so excited to not have to deal with my heavy periods but very anxious about the recovery. I work at the clinic that my surgeon is at which throws its own oddities into the mix. My surgeon has been incredibly professional but I feel bad taking up to 6 weeks off for recovery because we are so short staffed right now.

How did people feel at 2 weeks post op? I have my 2 week post op appointment scheduled exactly 2 weeks after. He said I would be back to 80% but likely still pretty tired and definitely would not recommend full time work at that point. He said maybe half time but that could still be too much.

I keep coming up with questions but I have a feeling that I won’t be able to have every single question answered before my surgery.
Unread 10-13-2021, 08:02 AM
Re: Upcoming hysterectomy 11/2: Pre Op Questions

At two weeks I was feeling maybe 75%. I was moving very carefully, but ready to be more independent and drive because I had things I wanted to be able to do. I was wearing soft stretchy pants like the Lands End Sport Knit jeans and their Starfish pants. I dropped my afternoon nap about that time too. I was still taking IB 800 three time a day.

As far as work goes, I began homeschooling my kids at 7 days post-op, but I took it really easy. I stayed on the sofa and took breaks when I needed. Plus my kids are teens and don't need too much supervision. I was still having pain until about 5 weeks.
Unread 10-15-2021, 12:44 AM
Re: Upcoming hysterectomy 11/2: Pre Op Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jh9 View Post
Thank you everyone for your replies!

I had my appointment today and had a huge list of questions written out. He reviewed my surgical plan: TLH with bilateral salpingectomy. There are zero plans to remove my ovaries, thankfully. I’m only 30 so I would prefer to not be thrown into menopause.

My surgery is exactly 3 weeks away. I’m so excited to not have to deal with my heavy periods but very anxious about the recovery. I work at the clinic that my surgeon is at which throws its own oddities into the mix. My surgeon has been incredibly professional but I feel bad taking up to 6 weeks off for recovery because we are so short staffed right now.

How did people feel at 2 weeks post op? I have my 2 week post op appointment scheduled exactly 2 weeks after. He said I would be back to 80% but likely still pretty tired and definitely would not recommend full time work at that point. He said maybe half time but that could still be too much.

I keep coming up with questions but I have a feeling that I won’t be able to have every single question answered before my surgery.
Take the 6 weeks. Your body will thank you. 4 weeks was my turning point. Okay for mental work. Had a setback at 8 weeks due to too much physical work and it put me into spasms, cramps feeling like day 2 out of surgery. Had to take another week to let that settle down. Even now I feel it if I bend too much, etc. I am at the 4 month mark tomorrow. It is MAJOR surgery. Parts are removed, stitches are applied, there is inflammation, intestines & bowels, whatever, get moved around and take time to readjust.

Just my 2 cents. Be good to yourself.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register