Vaginal cuff tear 2.5 weeks after hysterectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Vaginal cuff tear 2.5 weeks after hysterectomy Vaginal cuff tear 2.5 weeks after hysterectomy

Unread 10-18-2021, 02:09 PM
Vaginal cuff tear 2.5 weeks after hysterectomy

Hello,
Had a vaginal cuff tear at about 2 1/2 weeks post op laparoscopic hysterectomy. I was doing well and following all guidelines and just slow short walking. One afternoon I passed a half dollar blood clot and then hours passed by and I started to bleed more filling up entire overnight pads. Heavy gushes of blood when I would get up and clots would come out of me.
I went to the ER. They said I had a minor cuff tear with artery bleed. They put me under anesthesia and stitched me back up.
It was super scary but I am better now and having no more bleeding. Just very slight normal discharge and feeling ok mostly besides typical aches and pains and stiffness. Has anyone had this experience with a vaginal cuff tear??
Thank you, Martie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-19-2021, 06:39 AM
Re: Vaginal cuff tear after hysterectomy

How scary for you - but also wise of you to head to the ER! Understand it’s not necessarily something you did: sometimes this just happens. As you know, it does set you back on healing, so continue to adhere to restrictions. Our article Vaginal Cuff Tear After Hysterectomy | Now What? has a bit more insight. There have been Sisters who have posted about their own experience. A few of those threads (for info and reading only):You can also scroll below your thread here and see Similar Threads From This Forum for a few more recent discussions.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Since you've just joined us (and at the risk of link overload!), you might find these resources helpful: Finally, I'd also like to invite you to connect with your Recovery Thread for women who had surgery the same week as you at Recovery Progress Reports for Sep 20-26. Recovery Threads are wonderful for getting support, comparing notes, encouraging others, and keeping one another company.

Unread 10-19-2021, 08:00 AM

Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-19-2021, 10:55 AM

Hi Martie,
I’m new here…
I had the exact same thing at 2.5 weeks, just got stitched back up last Thursday and I feel like a truck hit me now…ugh! I feel like I’m a day one all over again minus that horrible trapped gas pain.
How are you feeling now?
Unread 10-19-2021, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvraye View Post
Hi Martie,
I’m new here…
I had the exact same thing at 2.5 weeks, just got stitched back up last Thursday and I feel like a truck hit me now…ugh! I feel like I’m a day one all over again minus that horrible trapped gas pain.
How are you feeling now?
Hello!! So glad to hear from someone else who had same experience! I did feel like total crap the first few days. Like week one. But, now I move better again. My trapped gas is mostly gone now. Thank God. I am just still so sore, achy, and get stiff. Still take 600mg ibuprofen around the clock mostly. I walk super slow. Tummy is still super bloated and tender. But, no bleeding. Get sad off and on about the whole hysterectomy thing. That whole ER thing didn’t help!!
Could you tell me more about you experience? And more on how you are doing?? Did they tell you if your recovery will be longer or not now??Thank you!
Unread 10-22-2021, 02:26 PM
Re: Vaginal cuff tear 2.5 weeks after hysterectomy

Hi Martie. I had the same problem. Two weeks post-op I started losing blood, bled through my bedding over night, and passed some large clots. My surgeon was out of town so my choices were bed rest for 2 days or ER. I chose bed rest and then met with him when he got back...ending up back in the OR to have things stitched up again. My MD couldn't see any major issues on a vaginal exam at the time but he said he couldn't really poke around like he wanted unless I was asleep. I was given the option for bedrest for several weeks or OR to fix things up and continue on my normal trajectory of healing. I chose OR. At my 6 week post-op I was still having a little bleeding (after swimming) and it turned out to be granulation tissue so he put some silver nitrate on that. I haven't had any bleeding problems since. I still have bladder pain/spasms and lots of swelly belly still even though I am around 11 weeks post-op now. I have quite a bit of pain in my belly if I do too much, take ibuprofen daily, and certain positions of intercourse haven't been possible yet. My doctor said 3 to 6 months for all of the issues I'm experiencing to go away and to feel "normal" again. I sure hope so. I heard so many positive experiences about hysterectomy that I'll be super bummed if I don't ever feel the same again :/
Unread 10-22-2021, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanfambo View Post
Hi Martie. I had the same problem. Two weeks post-op I started losing blood, bled through my bedding over night, and passed some large clots. My surgeon was out of town so my choices were bed rest for 2 days or ER. I chose bed rest and then met with him when he got back...ending up back in the OR to have things stitched up again. My MD couldn't see any major issues on a vaginal exam at the time but he said he couldn't really poke around like he wanted unless I was asleep. I was given the option for bedrest for several weeks or OR to fix things up and continue on my normal trajectory of healing. I chose OR. At my 6 week post-op I was still having a little bleeding (after swimming) and it turned out to be granulation tissue so he put some silver nitrate on that. I haven't had any bleeding problems since. I still have bladder pain/spasms and lots of swelly belly still even though I am around 11 weeks post-op now. I have quite a bit of pain in my belly if I do too much, take ibuprofen daily, and certain positions of intercourse haven't been possible yet. My doctor said 3 to 6 months for all of the issues I'm experiencing to go away and to feel "normal" again. I sure hope so. I heard so many positive experiences about hysterectomy that I'll be super bummed if I don't ever feel the same again :/

Thank you for sharing! I am almost 5 weeks now post op. The belly is still tender and swelly belly. I am still taking meds as well. Just gets sore and tender. Achy. But, I do have more energy and mobility now. I can’t imagine what it’s going to be like when I am cleared for sex at 8 weeks. I am scared it’s going to hurt. No more crazy positions maybe for a while. Lol. I hope like you said in a few months time I will be my full self again. Seems so far away now. Please keep me updated on how you are doing! Hope you will tell me soon you are feeling your full potential again!
Wish you well, Martie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register