Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Oct 18-Oct 24,2021 - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Oct 18-Oct 24,2021 Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Oct 18-Oct 24,2021

Unread 10-24-2021, 12:07 AM
Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Oct 18-Oct 24,2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micheletmoore View Post
How long until you can shower? I was clear for that next day but no baths (which I think would help, like after childbirth) for SIX WEEKS. My sites are bruised and a little tended but my belly button is the worst because I forgot and scratched it.

I need a keeper. Wishing I had found this group pre-op! So much more and better quality info than my pre-op and discharge instructions. Not taking medical advice but things like hydration and what is best to eat for ease of digestion.

There needs to be a what to expect when you are done expecting book.
I technically could have showered today but was still in too much pain for the first half of the day to manage it. I find if I am not applying pressure to my lower left side I can barley stand. I wish baths were allowed but I totally understand why.

I agree this site is wonderful. Have you found any foods that have been particularly helpful for digestion?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-24-2021, 01:00 AM
Re: Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Oct 18-Oct 24,2021

Welcome, welcome Steelers, Souther, Michele and ldh!
Welcome to the other side! Sounds like you are all home and resting as comfortable as possible under the circumstances.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelersfan07 View Post
I had my surgery yesterday (10/22) I have my post op in 2 weeks where I will find out more but I got to keep my ovaries. I know endo was found and they took my tubes and send some stuff off to pathology

I’m not in as much pain as I expected and although it is slow I can walk around just a little but it upsets my stomach. My belly is huge and swollen like a rock. I’m guessing that’s gas so trying to deal with that.
Gas trapped within the abdominal cavity can take a bit to be absorbed, hot tea (peppermint is highly recommended) and walking around the house a bit every hour or so will help to ease gas discomfort, increase circulation and hopefully aid in the absorption of that CO2!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarrah62 View Post
I still have gas in my neck and settles right above my collar bones 4 days later. That is the most painful part. Other than that I don’t have much pain and am getting around well. My post op is in four weeks which seems like a while. I thought it would be 2 weeks.
That gas dissipation can vary from one person to the next. Some women find it gone in a few days, then there are gals like me who struggled with it for over two weeks. I hope you fall into the former category.

Follow up appointments are all over the place depending on the surgeon. I had my one and only post op appointment at 11.5 weeks after surgery, some gals have to make the trip to the dr’s office as soon as day three, some gals don’t have any follow up at all (I’m my opinion, that’s just ridiculous!).

Quote:
Hello ladies!
I had a robotic assisted abdominal hysterectomy on the 20th and I think I am doing ok. Came home the day of surgery, just glad to be in my bed. Thursday was good. Got up, did the walking (maybe too much) felt like a total badass. Yesterday I didn’t see the truck that hit me but spent the day taking meds. Today I haven’t needed meds but lord I would love to poop.

Not hungry, slightly crampy, peeing, acid reflux is not great, but if I could poop. Come on stool softeners and fiber!!!
It’s possibly you were still quite under the effects of the anesthesia, when it wore off, that may have been the truck you encountered. Or perhaps it just took a bit for your body’s response to the trauma to kick in. Be sure to rest as much as possible with walking around the house or outdoors for 15-20 minutes a day is a good goal at this stage.

As for the appetite and lack of BM, make sure your getting lots of water, fiber and walking. As helpful as those tips are, it helps to understand that anesthesia has a paralytic component that can slow your digestion down to a near standstill. Sometimes it takes longer than we’d like for it to start back up and resume normal function.

Quote:
Every day O feel better and have done laundry and can easily get around so I am thankful for that.
Dear sister, please leave the chores to family and friends and let your body’s precious resources go to healing all the trauma of surgery. Though the incisions are minimal from laparoscopic surgery, the extent of work inside was not minimal. At this point in recovery, no one should be lifting more than a gallon of milk, no pushing, no pulling, no twisting or sharp movements and avoid bending. Please be gentle with yourself. There are risks of doing too much too soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldh11 View Post
Had my TLH with salpingectomy on Thursday morning and am just now able to see the light. I was really struggling with my blood pressure being too low so wasn’t given much for pain until that was more stable. Now I’m on stronger pain meds I’m finally able to move around more and not pass out from pain. Overall I was surprised by how painful my lower left port site was/is. Everywhere else I feel fine but this spot is excruciating. Doesn’t appear to be an infection or anything out of the ordinary so I guess it is just because the doc had to spend more time in that area and dig around more so my transverse abdominals are affected. I’m really looking forward to a shower soon!! Stay strong sisters. We’ve got this.
Sorry to hear your pain was delayed from being controlled! Besides one port being more manipulated than the other incision sites, it’s possible a nerve was involved. Have you tried using an ice pack? They really do work wonders!

Quote:
How long until you can shower? I was clear for that next day but no baths (which I think would help, like after childbirth) for SIX WEEKS.
The reason bathing is prohibited for 6 weeks and sometimes longer, is for to the slow healing nature of your vaginal cuff and the risk of infection. In childbirth, the cervix dilates and there is minimal trauma. With hysterectomy, the cervix is removed and the top of the vagina is stitched together in a way that creates a new support structure for the pelvic organs above it. The warm, moist, dark environment inside the vagina is neither internal nor external and heals slower than either of the aforementioned. Not only is bathing prohibited, but nothing in the vagina at all.

Six weeks is a long time for no bath, especially for those of us who held them dear. It will be alll the more enjoyable when the restriction is lifted!!

Unread 10-24-2021, 07:56 AM

For the person who mentioned feeling like sheíd been hit by a truck, I wonder if you had postoperative myalgia, which can be caused by the anesthesia. I had that after 2 procedures earlier in my life with general anesthesia and that is precisely how I described it. My entire body hurt for a day or two and I was miserable, literally moaning in bed. It wasnít diagnosed the first time, but the second we had been given a number to call the anesthesiologist after hours so my husband called and described my symptoms and they diagnosed it. As I recall there wasnít much to be done but wait it out but it helped to know thatís what was going on. I mentioned it repeatedly to the anesthesiologist before my hysterectomy this week and he said thereís not a way to guarantee you wonít get it but there is one drug in the anesthesia cocktail that can cause it and that they werenít going to use that drug with me. I didnít experience the myalgia this time and my recovery experience has been night and day. I went into this surgery in better physical shape and I think pain management protocols have changed for the better in intervening years (E.g., I was given a shot of gabapentin pre-op to help with pain post-op), but I think not having the postop myalgia was a significant component. Might be worth asking about at your follow up just to know for the future. Iím sorry youíre hurting and hope everyone is feeling better soon!
Unread 10-24-2021, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDBulldog View Post
For the person who mentioned feeling like sheíd been hit by a truck, I wonder if you had postoperative myalgia, which can be caused by the anesthesia. I had that after 2 procedures earlier in my life with general anesthesia and that is precisely how I described it. My entire body hurt for a day or two and I was miserable, literally moaning in bed. It wasnít diagnosed the first time, but the second we had been given a number to call the anesthesiologist after hours so my husband called and described my symptoms and they diagnosed it. As I recall there wasnít much to be done but wait it out but it helped to know thatís what was going on. I mentioned it repeatedly to the anesthesiologist before my hysterectomy this week and he said thereís not a way to guarantee you wonít get it but there is one drug in the anesthesia cocktail that can cause it and that they werenít going to use that drug with me. I didnít experience the myalgia this time and my recovery experience has been night and day. I went into this surgery in better physical shape and I think pain management protocols have changed for the better in intervening years (E.g., I was given a shot of gabapentin pre-op to help with pain post-op), but I think not having the postop myalgia was a significant component. Might be worth asking about at your follow up just to know for the future. Iím sorry youíre hurting and hope everyone is feeling better soon!
I had my robotic assisted hysterectomy last Tuesday and am 5 days post op. I was also given gabapentin before surgery. I also was sent home with a prescription of it. I need to take every 8 hours for 4 days. I still have gas in my chest and above my collar bones five days later. I hope it dissipates soon. Thinking what if gas is stuck in body what are long term effects? My post op is set at 4 was from surgery. Feel better soon!
Unread 10-24-2021, 09:57 AM

Quote:
I had my robotic assisted hysterectomy last Tuesday and am 5 days post op. I was also given gabapentin before surgery. I also was sent home with a prescription of it. I need to take every 8 hours for 4 days. I still have gas in my chest and above my collar bones five days later. I hope it dissipates soon. Thinking what if gas is stuck in body what are long term effects?

CO2 gas is not harmful to your body, your cells absorb it. It can take anywhere from 48 hours to 14 days to resolve. If you are concerned, put in a call to your doctor. Walking, hot tea and a heating pad are your best options to reduce the discomfort. In my experience, the strong prescription pain medicine did nothing to reduce the pain. The trapped CO2 gas was by far the most painful symptom I experienced during recovery. Knife sharp pains.

I do remember a gal on here went to the ER for the gas pain, scans did show an abnormal amount of gas, but it was allowed to dissipate on its own. You can try taking a gas remedy like GasX, but thatís intended for intestinal gas, this gas is outside the intestines.

For the heating pad, try putting a damp towel between the pad and your skin for moist heat. If you have bubbles against
the diaphragm, just be cautious to keep the heating pad away from the surgery area. Heat will not help the swelling and inflammation going on in the abdomen.

Doctors do try to expel as much gas as possible, but depending on your position, some travels to areas that canít be compressed, like up near your liver. It is thought that the drying effects of the gas and temperature can also contribute to the pain. My own surgeon heats the gas to try and reduce post operative discomfort thought to arise from the temperature difference. The gas bubbles naturally rise and become lodged up under your ribs/diaphragm and can press on your phrenic nerve causing pain in the shoulder and even the jaw.

When I would roll over or get out of bed, I had what felt like big Boulder bubbles tumbling around, it was the most alien feeling ever! I did all the home remedies, which did relieve discomfort temporarily. My first car ride at two weeks post op, two miles of bumpy, twisty, hilly dirt roads to the highway actually seemed to help break up the gas really well. I felt it no more after. Made me wish I went out sooner.
Hang in there.
Unread 10-25-2021, 01:51 PM

Ok, Iím just going to jump right in with the uncomfortable question. Who from this post op time line has had a successful bowel movement? Any tips? I am post op day 4 (surgery on the 21st) and this has not happened for me yet. Iím having a hard time distinguishing between intestinal discomfort and bloating from the CO2 gas during surgery. Last night I had that alien feeling in my belly - giant bubbles moving around - and my belly was so big and tight and painful. I decided to stop taking any narcotics until I have had a BM (so last dose was over 18 hours ago) and I have been using a stool softener, drinking lots of water, walking around and eating lots of fibre but So far no luck.
Unread 10-25-2021, 02:02 PM

Hello ladies! Hope everyone is healing well! Has anyone figured out what to do for itching?
Unread 10-25-2021, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Ok, Iím just going to jump right in with the uncomfortable question. Who from this post op time line has had a successful bowel movement? Any tips? I am post op day 4 (surgery on the 21st) and this has not happened for me yet. Iím having a hard time distinguishing between intestinal discomfort and bloating from the CO2 gas during surgery. Last night I had that alien feeling in my belly - giant bubbles moving around - and my belly was so big and tight and painful. I decided to stop taking any narcotics until I have had a BM (so last dose was over 18 hours ago) and I have been using a stool softener, drinking lots of water, walking around and eating lots of fibre but So far no luck.
Kinda. A little. Not normal and not easy. Iíve been on stool softeners and fiber and honestly canít eat. I feel ick I am so full. My tummy isnít like yours itís just sore. The gas seems to be breaking up.
Unread 10-25-2021, 02:29 PM

Quote:

I got lucky with an easy go of it 48 hours after surgery, and 1-2x daily since (Iím on day 6). I got off the narcotics as soon as I comfortably could, and am hydrating like mad, didnít eat anything remotely binding (cheese, pasta, bread, bananas, rice) for the first few days and am only very slowly easing back into that, did and continue to do lots of fiber - straight up ordered prune juice from the hospital cafeteria, take a daily stool softener, walked a lot, chewed gum the first few days (read on here the saliva it generates helps jumpstart digestion), and used a squatty potty. Iím still kinda traumatized about the first (and beyond) bowel movement after I had my first kid several years ago so I pulled out ALL the stops to avoid that. Good luck!
Unread 10-25-2021, 06:16 PM

My procedure was 4 days ago and I am grateful and shocked as to how ďokayĒ I feel. Following med orders and walking around the house when Iím awake, which has all been good. The first shower was difficult without the extra support of a belly binder or pillow. No real appetite but Iím having small regular meals to help aid digestion and healing. My main issues are no BM yet and laying down without a pretty harsh howl. Overall I expected much worse and canít wait to see how I feel without any pain for the first time in years.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register