Pre-Op Hysterectomy: Open House Chat Thread - Today Oct 24, 2021 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Closed Thread

Pre-Op Hysterectomy: Open House Chat Thread - Today Oct 24, 2021 Pre-Op Hysterectomy: Open House Chat Thread - Today Oct 24, 2021

Unread 10-24-2021, 02:01 AM
Pre-Op Hysterectomy: Open House Chat Thread - Today Oct 24, 2021

Welcome!

This special Pre-Op Hysterectomy: Open House Chat Thread is for YOU if you are having surgery this week. This thread chat will help you meet others who are having surgery the same week as you, calm your anxiousness, and help answer your last minute questions.

To get started, please introduce yourself, sharing a few things about yourself and your upcoming hysterectomy. Tell us what concerns you have as you prepare for your surgery.

Have patience! Because this is a "COME AND GO" event, check back here during the day for replies with answers, support and hugs from new friends. Our post-op members will be stopping by, too!

As you get to know the other members having surgery this week - you will be meeting up again, after your hysterectomy, in a special thread created just for this week's surgeries in the Post Op Hysterectomy forum.

Please note this thread will close at 11:59 PM Central Time.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-24-2021, 07:22 AM
Re: Pre-Op Hysterectomy: Open House Chat Thread - Today Oct 24, 2021

Good morning. My name is Korin. I am 48 and had an incidental discovery of a "significantly enlarged fibroid uterus" from an MRI ordered by my rheumatologist for low back pain. I am scheduled for an open bikini line hysterectomy this Thursday 10/28. I have been vacillating between anxiety and just wanting to get it over with. The funny thing is I work in health care and probably have a better than average understanding, but was obsessing over everything I should do to "be ready" beforehand. I think it is wonderful that we have this group and look forward to us supporting each other.
Unread 10-24-2021, 08:31 AM

Good morning! Like Korin1017, Iím also having an abdominal hysterectomy due to fibroids. Mine is scheduled for Wednesday. Iím working from home until Tuesday as my paid time off is very limited due to my short tenure at my job. Iím getting all of the things ready at home this weekend. Laundry and cleaning, organizing anything that will bug me while I recover, and taking breaks to just relax.

Iím just ready to get this over with at this point. I expect 2 nights in the hospital and thankfully my husband is off work next week as well so Iíll have help. We have a large dog and her jumping on me is our biggest concern. She isnít allowed in our bedroom though and weíve been working with her to not jump on me while Iím in the recliner. Hopefully that will help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-24-2021, 08:59 AM

Blessed Sunday All
My name is Tamala everyone calls me Tammy. Iím due to have my hysterectomy surgery this Thursday 10/28. I been having abnormal paps for years and just a couple of years ago real bad periods and cramps I was passing clots the size of my fist. I probably could have gotten it done sooner if I had showed them the size of my clots, but things work when God is ready. I have fibroids too but they said they are not that big. I also had the Essure done 7 yrs ago for birth control and they doctors feel a lot of the pain is from that. I have cleaned fridge and freezer, washing everything, vacuuming, cleaned dog Kennel got him groomed yesterday, bleaching bathrooms, just getting ready I know my daughters which is 13 and 7 will not clean like that for me. My son which is 29 yrs old I told him the name of life insurance and will email him just in case - guess Iím preparing for the worse but praying for the best. I ordered a grabber, Hibiclens antibacterial body wash, squatty stool, and a hysterectomy pillow/ seat belt. I will get my groceries this week. Iím scared, but ready I been bleeding since June 4th, just tired of wearing pads and everyday and feeling drained. They gave me some pills to take to stop it nothing the went on the dose and nothingÖ
I go in the morning for my COVID testÖ Then they will call me Wednesday to tell me the time of my surgery. Oh I also got appointments out the way like teeth cleaning, and exam - my allergy doctor since I will be down for 6 weeksÖ
Unread 10-24-2021, 09:05 AM

Good Morning,
I think we all are having anxiety about our surgery. Being out to sleep cut on or laparoscopic is nerve racking. I been praying and my friend told me to try mediation. Iím with you - Iím glad we have this group tooÖ Very glad I joined and read others to calm my nerves. Iím also nervous about afterwards the painÖ Praying for you we go in the same day for surgery. Praying God will watch over us all and guide the surgeon hands during our surgery and our pain will not be that bad and our healing process will be great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korin1017 View Post
Good morning. My name is Korin. I am 48 and had an incidental discovery of a "significantly enlarged fibroid uterus" from an MRI ordered by my rheumatologist for low back pain. I am scheduled for an open bikini line hysterectomy this Thursday 10/28. I have been vacillating between anxiety and just wanting to get it over with. The funny thing is I work in health care and probably have a better than average understanding, but was obsessing over everything I should do to "be ready" beforehand. I think it is wonderful that we have this group and look forward to us supporting each other.
Unread 10-24-2021, 09:28 AM

Good Morning. My name is Allison. I'm 47 and have two kids ages 12 and 14. I've been home with them the last 5 years and am looking forward to returning to the working world in 2022. My hysterectomy on Wednesday the 27th should help me have the confidence to know that at least my period will not longer be an impediment.

I've actually been a member of HysterSisters since 2018. During those years I've been in the "Alternatives" forum. I've had a myomectomy (2018) and just recently endometriosis excision and hysteroscopy (September). I would call the endometrial excision a success but on hysteroscopy, my surgeon couldn't find the fibroid indicated on imaging. Despite having a D&C as part of the hysteroscopy, I had even worse pain and bleeding just two weeks later during my period.

The new suggestion is that perhaps the fibroid is a softer atypical polypoid adenomyoma combined with adenomyosis. So I've finally arrived at the hysterectomy I've been avoiding for almost 4 years now. My biggest concerns going into the hysterectomy just 6 weeks after the last surgery are: vaginal cuff healing and sexual functioning afterward.

I had an allergic (likely type IV) reaction to the Dermabond after the last laparoscopy. I'm concerned the same sort of inflammation will happen at the vaginal sutures.

I'm also going to be using Dr Bat Sheva Marcus's book "Sex Points" (no I'm not a sponsor or anything) to methodically approach sexual healing afterward. I would like to hear a moderator comment on whether other members have ever mentioned success in sexual recovery with a particular book or method. Thank you.
Unread 10-24-2021, 10:15 AM

Hello, Iím your Sunshine Sister and Iíll be walking by your side during recovery on the thread for everyone who has surgery this week.

These last few days or hours before your date can be hectic and nerve wracking. Many of you will find the apprehension and waiting are the hardest part of this journey. Keeping busy with preparations is a good way to fight the pre-op jitters.

If you havenít already, preparing a recovery nest is a big comfort to come home to, with everything you need your first days. Either your bedroom or the recliner in the living room, you may want to have pillows, maybe even a special wedge pillow if you are normally a dedicated side sleeper, a large water bottle with a straw, a notepad and pen to record taking medicine, maybe a sleep mask, itís also a good idea to bring a small pillow in the car to to place between your tender tummy and the seatbelt on the ride home.

The day before your surgery try to relax and spend some quality time doing something you enjoy.

Things that I found most helpful the first couple days home;
ēan electric heating pad,
ēa few gel ice packs in the freezer,
ēa large cup with a lid and straw,
ēsmall notepad and pen to keep track of medicines,
ēa box of peppermint tea,
crackers,
ēbland-homemade chicken soup-the broth was the most important part because appetites can be nonexistent for a while after surgery and this soup was nourishing, even just the broth, crackers,
ēunderwear that were either low cut below my hip bones or high above my belly button.

Thought given to food choices now may make for easier bowel movements later in the week!
Lots of fiber and simple carbohydrates ( it might be good to avoid constipating/hard to pass foods like red meat, dairy, greasy or processed foods ). Later in the week bowel movements may be the most exciting part of the day

The carbs the day before, if you donít have to do bowel prep, give your body readily available, easy to digest energy that some studies show help restart digestion faster.

Looking forward to meeting everyone this coming week!
Unread 10-24-2021, 10:48 AM

Hello. Iím Bekah, 39, no kids. I too have fibroids. Iím scheduled to have my hysterectomy on Tuesday. My nerves are starting to get to me. Iím mostly afraid of the anesthesia. I have never had surgery before and the thought of going under is terrifying.

Iíve loaded up on Gas-X and Miralax (as suggested by several members of this forum, thanks), I have a small travel pillow and several sets of comfy PJs that wonít constrict my belly. As far as preparedness goes, thatís it. My apartment is a mess and I have no groceries but I donít really care anymore. Iím so depressed that nothing matters. Sure I know that the recovery will be painful but I canít bring myself to even get out of bed today, never mind do anything productive to help me in the upcoming days. I live alone and will be alone throughout the recovery process. Iíll get through it.

Best of luck to you all.
Unread 10-24-2021, 11:00 AM

I have noticed that most of us are focused on getting the house ready. I was told that I would be in the hospital one night, discharged late the day after surgery. I had a friend come over yesterday and help me write a packing list for my overnight bag, which somehow helped me feel more relaxed. I am a dedicated side sleeper and bought a large body pillow, plus have about four spare pillows. Luckily I only live about a 5-minute drive from the hospital but I like the idea of a small pillow or folded towel under the seatbelt. I bought a grabber, peppermint tea, Gas X, very comfy high-waisted underwear and pants, easy foods like soup and sandwich stuff, and my husband will be home for the first week. Yet I still find myself getting anxious that I am forgetting something.
Unread 10-24-2021, 11:02 AM

Good Morning Bekah,
Itís okay to feel the way your feeling. I have had emergency surgery twice in my life gallbladder and an cyst that ruptured in my ovaries years ago. This one is different because itís been planned, so yes Iím scared and been having bad thoughts, but I rebuke them thoughts and been talking to God. Well it will be good if you do get up and tidy up a bit - play some music if you like music and think positive. I just know to look at a mess after surgery will stress me more. You are in my prayers as well. Donít like to hear your depressed and feel like your going through this alone. Sounds crazy your not alone you have this group and if you believe in God your definitely not alone. We all may not be there physically but we are here for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FindingNarnia View Post
Hello. Iím Bekah, 39, no kids. I too have fibroids. Iím scheduled to have my hysterectomy on Tuesday. My nerves are starting to get to me. Iím mostly afraid of the anesthesia. I have never had surgery before and the thought of going under is terrifying.

Iíve loaded up on Gas-X and Miralax (as suggested by several members of this forum, thanks), I have a small travel pillow and several sets of comfy PJs that wonít constrict my belly. As far as preparedness goes, thatís it. My apartment is a mess and I have no groceries but I donít really care anymore. Iím so depressed that nothing matters. Sure I know that the recovery will be painful but I canít bring myself to even get out of bed today, never mind do anything productive to help me in the upcoming days. I live alone and will be alone throughout the recovery process. Iíll get through it.

Best of luck to you all.
Closed Thread

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register