Having TAH this Friday! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Having TAH this Friday! Having TAH this Friday!

Unread 07-23-2006, 03:28 PM
Having TAH this Friday!

Hi all- New here but wanted to post..my total abdominal hyst with ovaries out too is this Friday. I'm quite nervous.. i will have epidural..(anyone do this)?..also, they said since my uterus is so retroverted that there is increased riskof injury to ureters from kidneys to blader..risk of them kinking..anyone hear about this? this has me freaked out..also,i have a C-sec scar..she said they can't go through it cuz too much scar tissue and can't cut it out totally cuz it will heal deofrmed/puckered..anyone know more about this? I'm a nervous wreck but trying to focus on the positives..like no more periods. Reason for surgery: Enlarged uterus (like 12-13 week gestation), fibroids, endo, VERY heavy bleeding/anemia...
thanks for listening!
Maddalena
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-23-2006, 07:12 PM
Having TAH this Friday!

Welcome and Yikes,

You do have alot to think about. You're going to have to put your trust in God and your doctor's. You'll be in very good hands.
Keep posting in the meantime.

Read the Checkpoints, very important info there and teh Hyster Stories, very helpful.

We will be glad to support you in any way we can. Ask away!!

Good luck and breathe.............

Liz
Unread 07-23-2006, 08:15 PM
Having TAH this Friday!

Hello Maddalena,

I am nine days post-op, I had my TAH last Friday. I have had three abdominal laparotomies ( Incisions the same size as a c-section). The TAH was my fourth and each time the doctors went through the same incision. I am not sure why your doctor would want to make another incision in a different spot. I have had not had any problems with my surgeries, except that my bladder is adheared to my cervix, my doctor was glad that I opted to keep my cervix since it there would have possibly been some bladder damage.

As for your uterus, my mother had a similar problem, however, the doctors fixed hers, they did not remove it. They told her that even after surgery, she probably would not have children...she had three ;-)

I am sure everything will be fine and I will be praying that you will not have any complications. I was out of bed at 5:00 the next morning and continued to walk the rest of the day. I still have some pain, it feels like my entire abdomen is bruised, my back aches and it hurts to sit for a cerain period of time, but I am feeling better everyday.

Good luck and I will be thinking about you on Friday.

Kim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-23-2006, 08:44 PM
Having TAH this Friday!

With all my abdominal surgeries (5), they have cut through the same incision. The scar is puffy, but I have learned to live with it. When I go in for my hysterectomy, they are going to cut in the same place and "try" to make the scar look a little better.

Best of luck to you, and I am sure things will go well.
Unread 07-23-2006, 09:28 PM
Having TAH this Friday!

Thanks all for your kind words...think I"ll talk to her again about the incision before i go in... it helps to know you'er not alone..!
Maddalen
Unread 07-25-2006, 11:49 AM
Having TAH this Friday!

I am going in on Friday as well, 2 year anniversary of my TVH, but this time to remove the one ovary they left in! Your situation sounds exactly like mine 2 years ago. Anemia, 12 week uterus, the whole works. I felt so much better after I stopped having the nightmare periods. During one of my surgeries (i've had 4 total) they nicked a ureter and i had a little blood in my urine, but that was all. During my hyst I had a tummy tuck at the same time since my scar was so bad. It helped a lot. This time my dr is going to cut a little below the scar so he can pull the skin tight when he closes up. My dr is also a little worried about scar tissue and adhesions. Hopefully all will be fine.
good luck
Unread 07-25-2006, 03:07 PM
Having TAH this Friday!

Hi,
I am curious to know if the epidural was your anesthesiologist's recommendation, your preference, or is that the norm? I am "not there yet" with my surgery plans. Do you get to choose? wheew, another thing to think about!
Unread 07-25-2006, 03:27 PM
Having TAH this Friday!

I too am having what the doc called a "Radical" hysto on Friday. Also, two year anniversary of another surgery... laprscopic "get pregnant surgery"... didn't work. A couple of weeks ago my DR found cancerous cells and I've hurt for about 3 months straight with lots of bleeding. Imagine my surprise when he said I needed a hysto after my leaving the original surgery thinking I would finally be able to carry a child to term... 3 miscarriages... I am so nervous that I had to meditate with my husband last night and, for the record, my house has never been so clean... Let's all be excited because this time next week I will be in bed watching soaps and preparing to be rid of the period panties forever.... I am definately going to burn them using a little fire pit we have in the back yard.... can't wait.
Unread 07-26-2006, 09:17 AM
Having TAH this Friday!

My doctor mentioned the epidural to me last night. He said that when they use the epidural with a local, the pain management is much better during post op since they leave the epidural in for a day. also, none of that groggy, coming out of anesthesia feeling. I have to talk with the Anesthesiologist about it to decide whether to do it or not.
Unread 07-26-2006, 03:39 PM
To Backformore & others re Tummy Tuck and Epidurals

Backformore-
please tell me, is your gynecologist bringing in a plastic surgeon to do the tummy tuck?... i am concerned about cosmetic result since she didn't think she coudl go through the same scar..i need to talkto her about this more!..(I guess as they wheel me in Friday morning!)..

The epidural was suggested by my gynecologist as better for pain mgmt and safer (plus no post-surgery puking)... BUT she did say if complications arise during surgery they might have to put me under...

The unknown is what is scary... but I must say, no more periods sounds good to me!
MAddyB

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register