Upcoming hysterectomy 10/19: I live alone and need to be prepared | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming hysterectomy 10/19: I live alone and need to be prepared Upcoming hysterectomy 10/19: I live alone and need to be prepared

Unread 10-03-2021, 08:22 AM
Upcoming hysterectomy 10/19: I live alone and need to be prepared

Hi, I'm still a little unclear with the acronyms, but I'm having a robot assisted hysterectomy and my remaining ovary and fallopian tube removed on October 19. I live alone and I'm having trouble lining up help. If things go well and I'm outpatient like expected, will I need someone more than the first night? I will have people check in on me periodically during the days, but I can't have someone here more than the first night. Any tips on how to navigate solo?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-03-2021, 11:53 AM
Re: I live alone and need to be prepared

I recovered alone from my hysterectomy and other surgeries.

It was not an issue for me, I only asked a neighbor if I could reach her in case of an issue the first night. It was not needed.

Make sure you understand your restrictions, typically weight lift restrictions, core usage restrictions so forget about lifting heavy laundry and vacuuming, mopping for a while.

I brought anything needed, requiring a reach up to my counters in the kitchen and got a shower caddy.

Also got my pain meds, including prescriptions before surgery.

Food, get some healthy, fresh food (to make smoothies, get protein shakes, fruits and nuts to snack.

You’ll likely be not hungry the first week but lean protein and healthy food is key.

Water: I ordered a big delivery of water, this is very important that you drink a lot of water.

Walk regularly inside at first, this is also important.

You’ll more than likely not do much the first 3 days, but you’ll be able to do more gradually each day.

You should read the Hints from members section, there are great tips for gas, ice packs (a must), etc
Unread 10-03-2021, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPMS View Post
I recovered alone from my hysterectomy and other surgeries.

It was not an issue for me, I only asked a neighbor if I could reach her in case of an issue the first night. It was not needed.

Make sure you understand your restrictions, typically weight lift restrictions, core usage restrictions so forget about lifting heavy laundry and vacuuming, mopping for a while.

I brought anything needed, requiring a reach up to my counters in the kitchen and got a shower caddy.

Also got my pain meds, including prescriptions before surgery.

Food, get some healthy, fresh food (to make smoothies, get protein shakes, fruits and nuts to snack.

You’ll likely be not hungry the first week but lean protein and healthy food is key.

Water: I ordered a big delivery of water, this is very important that you drink a lot of water.

Walk regularly inside at first, this is also important.

You’ll more than likely not do much the first 3 days, but you’ll be able to do more gradually each day.

You should read the Hints from members section, there are great tips for gas, ice packs (a must), etc
Thank you so much!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-03-2021, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrephd View Post
Hi, I'm still a little unclear with the acronyms, but I'm having a robot assisted hysterectomy and my remaining ovary and fallopian tube removed on October 19. I live alone and I'm having trouble lining up help. If things go well and I'm outpatient like expected, will I need someone more than the first night? I will have people check in on me periodically during the days, but I can't have someone here more than the first night. Any tips on how to navigate solo?
Mrephd,

I stayed in the hospital my first night after surgery, and kinda wish I hadn’t had to. It was my surgical centers policy for my surgery. I had help, but I probably could have made soup for myself those first couple of days if I had needed to. I agree with everything GPMS recommended, and would only add canned soup to the list. My help went to work two days after my surgery, so from that point on I was on my own during the day. Definitely keep water close by, but out of the way. Do as much before hand as you can. I bought extra pillows a few days before, and I don’t know where I would be if I hadn’t. I also made hot socks as we call them in my house, they’re just a sock filled with real (not minute) rice; they just started to come in handy, but you might find them soothing. Basically anything that can be done before will help you. Get your “spot” ready for your first week home. You won’t want to look for anything, and make sure things like remotes, and lamps are within reach. It may seem like a lot, but you’ve got some time before surgery, and I know these things came in handy.
Unread 10-04-2021, 02:53 AM

Mrephd: I wanted to chime in here and add to the great advice you have gotten already from others replying to your post. Glad you found this website as there is tons of useful information to assist you. I pulled a few articles that I think will be helpful as you tackle recovery the majority of time alone. For the most part with some prep ahead of your surgery date, you should be okay home alone. I am glad you do have some people that you can count on to just check in to see if you need anything.

Living Alone and Recovering from Hysterectomy
10 Tips for Recovering at Home Alone after Surgery
50 Things I Wish I Knew Before Surgery
6 Things Your HysterSisters Think You Should Do When Preparing for Your Hysterectomy

Also, there is always support here! Be sure to check in after your surgery, as there will be a special recovery thread set up just for those having surgery the same week as you.

Wishing you all the best on your surgery day
Unread 10-04-2021, 07:55 AM

My surgery was laparoscopic, and I second the hot sock, which can help to relieve pain from the laparoscopic gas, as well as from intestinal gas. My top pick for a protein shake during the first few weeks of my recovery was Vega One, which can be found at most health food stores and major supermarkets, and includes essential nutrients for a healthy recovery. A few more suggestions for what to have on hand: a good pair of walking shoes; a freezer and pantry filled with easy to prepare meals and snacks; disposable dishes and cutlery to minimize clean-up work; peppermint tea, fiber from frozen blueberries and whole grain cereal like oatmeal or All Bran, fennel or coriander seeds, Gas-X, and magnesium-rich dark chocolate and pumpkin seeds for constipation and gas relief; a Squatty Potty or small footstool to elevate your feet while you're on the throne, which can help with those post-op bowel movements by properly aligning your rectum so the poop can pass through more smoothly; loose fitting clothes; a grabber to pick up small objects off the floor; extension cords for plugging in your electronics; activities to occupy your brain. Wishing you all the best for a successful surgery and a smooth recovery!
Unread 10-04-2021, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hibiscusorchid View Post
Mrephd,

I stayed in the hospital my first night after surgery, and kinda wish I hadn’t had to. It was my surgical centers policy for my surgery. I had help, but I probably could have made soup for myself those first couple of days if I had needed to. I agree with everything GPMS recommended, and would only add canned soup to the list. My help went to work two days after my surgery, so from that point on I was on my own during the day. Definitely keep water close by, but out of the way. Do as much before hand as you can. I bought extra pillows a few days before, and I don’t know where I would be if I hadn’t. I also made hot socks as we call them in my house, they’re just a sock filled with real (not minute) rice; they just started to come in handy, but you might find them soothing. Basically anything that can be done before will help you. Get your “spot” ready for your first week home. You won’t want to look for anything, and make sure things like remotes, and lamps are within reach. It may seem like a lot, but you’ve got some time before surgery, and I know these things came in handy.
These tips are really helping to reassure me.
Unread 10-04-2021, 04:39 PM
Re: Upcoming hysterectomy 10/19: I live alone and need to be prepared

I live with my boyfriend but I think beyond the first night I stayed in the hospital, I could have managed ok on my own at home. Get paper plates/cups so you don't have to do dishes. Do all your laundry the day before and have enough clothes to last a couple weeks. I lived in nightshirts the first two weeks.

Get some non perishable things to snack on or frozen foods for easy prep. I liked fruit, smoothies, and nuts since I didn't have much of an appetite.

I was able to function pretty well at 2 weeks and was driving at that point. Just be careful buying groceries since you have lifting restrictions. I just loaded/emptied card one item at a time and only bought a few things at a time. Lots of grocery stores will do free delivery too. I used Amazon a LOT!

Keep showers short but I was showering by myself on the third day, I just got a little lightheaded at times so I got out as quickly as I could and didn't wash my hair for probably a week since I was nervous about reaching up.

I think you'll be just fine and join your recovery group after your surgery, I loved checking in with women who'd had the surgery the same week as I did.
Unread 10-07-2021, 02:01 PM

I also live alone but have had my adult son helping out some. Things I’ve found very useful:

A grabber! I was impressed with my own self-sufficiency when I used a combination of my phone’s camera (to see the floor beside the bed without stretching) and the grabber to pick up a dropped charger cord!

A handle thing that fits between the mattress and box springs and can be used to get out of bed more easily. I forgot the actual name of it, but it helps to get up and down.

A basket beside my bed (sitting on a box so I can reach it) full of stuff I need. Chap stick, books, lotion, a coloring book, snack, etc.

Tell a few trusted people about your surgery and let them check on you. I have trouble with asking for help, but it is comforting to know that a few friends are aware of what’s going on and text daily.

You got this! We are all here for you!
Unread 10-18-2021, 03:28 PM

I would get a charger extender and put it on your nightstand or where you need it. Bending down for me is the worst. Everything else here is great advice. Also if you have a chair handy for the shower, the first couple of times I got very dizzy. Good luck on your procedure.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register