Upcoming Total robotic vaginal hysterectomy 10/8 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming Total robotic vaginal  hysterectomy 10/8 Upcoming Total robotic vaginal hysterectomy 10/8

Unread 10-06-2021, 06:01 PM
Upcoming Total robotic vaginal hysterectomy 10/8

Hello everyone. I am so nervous my surgery is Oct 8th. I will be going home the same day. I am so nervous I don't know what to expect afterwards. Luckily I have no bowel prep to do. I am haveing it done to due atypia hyperplasia. Any words of wisdom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-07-2021, 09:33 PM
Re: Upcoming Total robotic vaginal hysterectomy 10/8

I am also having a vaginal robotic hysterectomy on Tuesday Oct 19 due to an 8 cm fibroid on outer wall of uterus. Please let me know how it was and recovery. Praying for a successful surgery for you!
Unread 10-07-2021, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarrah62 View Post
I am also having a vaginal robotic hysterectomy on Tuesday Oct 19 due to an 8 cm fibroid on outer wall of uterus. Please let me know how it was and recovery. Praying for a successful surgery for you!
I will let you know most definitely. I pray that you also have a smooth recovery
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-08-2021, 12:07 AM
Re: Upcoming Total robotic vaginal hysterectomy 10/8

Hi Mellie,

So normal to be nervous, but you got this! Some thoughts from my perspective of being 8 weeks post op:

If you have any nausea issues normally, you can talk to your anesthesiologist about pre op med for nausea, makes recovery room experience much easier if you don't feel nauseous or dizzy, I had a scopolamine patch. I went home 5 hours after my surgery (laparoscopic with everything removed plus a few repairs) thought it would be too soon but it was ok. Was still a little out of it so 1.5 hour car ride home was not bad at all.

You will probably have gas pain from the gas used during surgery. GasX worked for me and was recommended in pre surgery class I took. I also used a heating pad on my shoulders which is where it seems to settle.

Ice packs and pillows are great to have on hand. I spent a lot of time reclining the first couple weeks and invested in a wedge pillow.

Do not try and do too much too soon but do walk a little bit as is comfortable. Rely on any help you have especially getting up and down the first couple days.

I suggest following your doctors orders regarding over the counter and prescribed pain meds, it is easier to control the pain if you follow the schedule instead of waiting until you are in a lot of pain.
Recovery is challenging but you will be past the rough part before you know it. I believe recovery is an investment in your future and taking care of yourself now will reap many benefits in the future and all the things you want to do.

Sending many positive thoughts and cyber hugs your way. I will be thinking of you tomorrow!
Best Wishes
Unread 10-08-2021, 04:48 AM

Taking regular walks will be an essential part of your recovery, for constipation and gas relief, as well as to prevent complications like blood clots, so be sure to have a good pair of walking shoes. For nausea, I recommend ginger in any form; I have chronic stomach issues, and I always keep supplies of powdered and crystallized ginger on hand, which really worked well. My favourite remedies for gas include peppermint tea, and fennel or coriander seeds chewed straight after every meal. For constipation, another common post-op issue, I recommend having the following items on hand: fiber from frozen blueberries and whole grain cereal like oatmeal or All Bran; magnesium-rich dark chocolate and pumpkin seeds; an easy-open water bottle; a Squatty Potty or small footstool to elevate your feet while you're on the throne, which can help by properly aligning your rectum so the poop can pass through more smoothly. Other helpful household items include extension cords for plugging in your electronics, and a grabber for picking up small objects off the floor. Wishing you all the best for a successful surgery and a smooth recovery!
Unread 10-09-2021, 10:47 AM

Thank you so much for the advice. They kept me overnight. The original pla. Was to go home but it too me a while to come out of anesthesia so I stayed over night. I brought the stuff u recommended and has worked wonders. The surgery went well. I am a little so but not to bad. I tired though.
Unread 10-09-2021, 12:03 PM

Quote:
I had my surgery yesterday they did mine robotic and through the vagina. I had trouble comming out of the anesthesia so they kept me over night. I am sore but am staying on top of the pain meds. I have very little bleeding just some pain. I took me several hours To be able to pee. I had no catheter when I go out of the operation. My pelvic floor doesn't feel weak to me but I was doing kegegals and core excesise before hand. I recommend bringing a pillow for the car ride. I got one on Amazon that goes through the seat belt and u can put ice packs in them. Walking is also helpful to get the gas moving. I also got gas x. Pillows will be your best friend. I have instructions to limit my stair use and bending. Listen to you're body. If it hurts stop. I feel so much better. My stomach doesn't hurt all that much but I stay on top of the pain. I bought an abdominal pillow that goes through the seat belt best thing ever for being in the car. I also got mesh underwear best thing ever both can be purchased on Amazon
If u have questions I will be happy to answer them
Unread 10-09-2021, 02:06 PM

Hi Mellie,
Thank you so much for describing your experience. This helps to put me at ease a little bit about the procedure. Some of my worries: coming out of anasthesia, being in severe pain, And once they test fibroid what if it’s cancer. These are my main worries even though I have had an MRI and two Transvaginal ultrasounds of fibroid. Both my gynecologist and primary physician said it’s not cancer but it’s always in the back of my mind. Yesterday someone posted about possible granular tissue at vaginal cuff from removing cervix that can make sex painful. This would be horrible for my husband of 16 years. I am having my cervix, uterus and Fallopian tubes removed but keeping both of my ovaries. I am so happy every thing went okay for you!!
Unread 10-09-2021, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Hi Mellie,
Thank you so much for describing your experience. This helps to put me at ease a little bit about the procedure. Some of my worries: coming out of anasthesia, being in severe pain, And once they test fibroid what if it’s cancer. These are my main worries even though I have had an MRI and two Transvaginal ultrasounds of fibroid. Both my gynecologist and primary physician said it’s not cancer but it’s always in the back of my mind. Yesterday someone posted about possible granular tissue at vaginal cuff from removing cervix that can make sex painful. This would be horrible for my husband of 16 years. I am having my cervix, uterus and Fallopian tubes removed but keeping both of my ovaries. I am so happy every thing went okay for you!!
I had a typical hyper plasa they took my following tubes and cervical also. My dr was so awsome he gave me pictures of the uterus during the procedure. I have no feeling where they stitched for the cuff. I can't have sex for 8 weeks. They said my overs were still good and said that I had just ovulated not to long ago so I am glad they are still working. My oncologist most of the time that when the biopsieasses 97 percent do not turn out to be cancer. I hope this helps. I did mine because I had a 30 percent chance of getting cancer later in life. I would also recommend getting a heating pack and ice pack. If you want to talk during our journey let me know
Unread 10-09-2021, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melliebelly View Post
I had a typical hyper plasa they took my following tubes and cervical also. My dr was so awsome he gave me pictures of the uterus during the procedure. I have no feeling where they stitched for the cuff. I can't have sex for 8 weeks. They said my overs were still good and said that I had just ovulated not to long ago so I am glad they are still working. My oncologist most of the time that when the biopsieasses 97 percent do not turn out to be cancer. I hope this helps. I did mine because I had a 30 percent chance of getting cancer later in life. I would also recommend getting a heating pack and ice pack. If you want to talk during our journey let me know
Thank you so much for replying back. I never had heavy painful periods I think because my fibroid is on wall of uterus and didn’t experience any symptoms until last July. I had a physical and Pap smear in November 2020 and the fibroid wasn’t felt. I started a healthcare program in August and am taking three courses this semester. One is online and the other two are a few hours on Wed and Thursday mornings. I told my professor about what was going on and she was t very understanding but I told her I will not be in the week of my surgery. I am hoping the following week I will be ok to sit a few hours for my classes. I hope you are still feeling okay and it helps so much to talk to you. Thank you!!!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register