Upcoming vaginal hysterectomy 10/19: Abdominal binder? Was it painful to pee or poop post-op? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming vaginal hysterectomy 10/19: Abdominal binder? Was it painful to pee or poop post-op? Upcoming vaginal hysterectomy 10/19: Abdominal binder? Was it painful to pee or poop post-op?

Unread 10-14-2021, 09:21 PM
Upcoming vaginal hysterectomy 10/19: Abdominal binder? Was it painful to pee or poop post-op?

Did you get an abdominal binder in the hospital? I am thinking this will help with the pain post surgery. Then again not sure if there are any binders that secure below the belly button where incisions are. Was it painful to pee or poop? Sorry for personal questions but I want to be prepared for Tuesday! I also ordered mesh boy shorts and a bed tray from Amazon. Think I am also going to order a large gel ice pack.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-14-2021, 09:47 PM
Upcoming vaginal hysterectomy 10/19: Abdominal binder? Was it painful to pee or poop post-op?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarrah62 View Post
Did you get an abdominal binder in the hospital? I am thinking this will help with the pain post surgery. Then again not sure if there are any binders that secure below the belly button where incisions are. Was it painful to pee or poop? Sorry for personal questions but I want to be prepared for Tuesday! I also ordered mesh boy shorts and a bed tray from Amazon. Think I am also going to order a large gel ice pack.
I don't minde answering personal questions. I would ask the Dr about an abdominal binder. MY dr told me no but anything that puts pressure on my abdomen hurts me so I am better without it. Definitely order a gel icepack and the mesh panties. The mesh panties have been a godsend. Also I ordered a grabber from Amazon and peri shaped icpacks and a heating pad. All are very helpful. U will be limited on bending. I took colace and Miralax right after my surgery and have not been constipated yet. You can not strain so Definitely use a stool softener. And have gas x on hand you will have gas pains for day's and it is very helpful. Peeing as not bothered me at all. Keeping you're stool soft and not straining is important because u will have a vaginal cuff with sutures so u can't strain
Unread 10-14-2021, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melliebelly View Post
I don't minde answering personal questions. I would ask the Dr about an abdominal binder. MY dr told me no but anything that puts pressure on my abdomen hurts me so I am better without it. Definitely order a gel icepack and the mesh panties. The mesh panties have been a godsend. Also I ordered a grabber from Amazon and peri shaped icpacks and a heating pad. All are very helpful. U will be limited on bending. I took colace and Miralax right after my surgery and have not been constipated yet. You can not strain so Definitely use a stool softener. And have gas x on hand you will have gas pains for day's and it is very helpful. Peeing as not bothered me at all. Keeping you're stool soft and not straining is important because u will have a vaginal cuff with sutures so u can't strain
Wait? Peri ice packs as in perineum ( sensitive area between vagina and anus) They cut you there to take uterus out? I thought the cut was inner vagina? Freaking out now lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-14-2021, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Wait? Peri ice packs as in perineum ( sensitive area between vagina and anus) They cut you there to take uterus out? I thought the cut was inner vagina? Freaking out now lol
It is in the inner vagina where the cervix used to be. Thry make what they call a vaginal cuff they sew the sking where the cervix used to be closed.Just that the stitches can be irritating. Nothing to be scared of. They remove the uterus first and the cervix last and bring it all out through the vagina
Unread 10-15-2021, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Hi.I had my surgery 9/9 and am doing well. My doctor did not discuss a binder with me, so I have to experience to share. But....related to using the restroom. I did have some burning sensations for 2 days while urinating and really no major issues pooping. I took stool softeners and had laxatives as a 2nd choice, but never used them.
Wishing you well!
Unread 10-15-2021, 06:10 AM
Re: Upcoming vaginal hysterectomy 10/19: Abdominal binder? Was it painful to pee or poop post-op?

Peeing was fine as soon as they'd removed the catheter. I had a stent last year after a kidney stone removal and was expecting a similar level of discomfort.

My first bowel movement was the worst day of my recovery. I wasn't given stool softeners in the hospital so only started them 48 hours after surgery. I'm usually regular as clockwork so wasn't anticipating problems. Despite eating sensibly, drinking lots of water and passing gas, I didn't end up moving my bowels until day 6. I think I spent 7 hours on the loo that day over three visits to finally clear the backlog. The first two trips felt 'stuck'. I found deep breaths and emptying out my lungs seemed to help a bit - and using my finger to push on my perineum to help encourage things along without straining. The final trip seemed doomed to repeat itself but then there was a sudden rush that I couldn't have stopped if I'd tried (so much so that I was nervous that I'd tear something with the pressure). But thankfully no bleeding and things have been normal every since. Ask your doctor if you can take stool softeners early and from day 1.

Binders seem to have mixed reviews between surgeons, nurses and the type of surgery you had. Mine said it wasn't necessary and to be honest, too much pressure on my abdomen hurt so I'm not sure I'd have liked wearing it. It took me three weeks before I was comfortable in proper leggings rather than yoga pants. It might be one that you need to try and make your own mind up on.
Unread 10-15-2021, 07:29 AM

Hello, I personally found PREPARING for my abdominal hyst comforting as those days leading up to 'the day' were the hardest; fear of the unknown. Asking doc questions at preop appt, shopping, meal and space prep, laundry, deep house cleaning, etc. made the wait bearable, and I was so thankful I did all this as I lay on the couch recovering the last 5 weeks!
Binder: The hospital put a binder on me after getting me settled into my room, and was sent home w/me. I found it to be an important piece to my recovery. I felt it supported my tender and very swollen belly and aided in my ability to maintain regular walking stints. I'm 5 weeks post op (and still have alot of tummy swelling and tenderness) and still use it when leaving the house. I find it supports and protects my tummy seat belt area in car. Ask your doc/nurse if they provide & recommend one and if not provided, I'd get one prior to surgery. You can always return if you don't use.
Potty: with hospital & doc orders I used colace daily for first two weeks in conjunction with daily miralax. 5 weeks post op I still use miralax daily. Prior to sugery, I ordered the biggest generic bottle amazon provided. lol
Mesh boy shorts: loved them the first two weeks- received two pairs from hospital. I hand washed and hung to dry each night after my shower and went commando under my pj bottoms at night once spotting stopped.
Best advice I received: prepare & expect at LEAST a 5-6 week recovery, listen to your body with NO guilt what-so-ever, and everyone heals different so give yourself grace!
Best of luck with your upcoming surgery - you got this! Before you blink, you'll be 5 weeks post-op.
Unread 10-15-2021, 08:46 AM

Quote:
It is all ok.
Nothing was cut or sutured outside of my hoo haa...all within the vagina from where the cervix was. Irritation outside of the vagina? Possibly. Mine went away after 2 to 3 days.
I am 45 and never had surgery, given birth....had 2 stitches to have a mole removed!!! I was sooo scared. I followed my doctor's instructions, found this site....asked for something to relax me the morning of surgery. All went well.
An ice pack, proper meds, liquids, rest, stool softeners, mesh undies or a size up granny panties....you will be ready to go!!!
Unread 10-15-2021, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooniesmith View Post
It is all ok.
Nothing was cut or sutured outside of my hoo haa...all within the vagina from where the cervix was. Irritation outside of the vagina? Possibly. Mine went away after 2 to 3 days.
I am 45 and never had surgery, given birth....had 2 stitches to have a mole removed!!! I was sooo scared. I followed my doctor's instructions, found this site....asked for something to relax me the morning of surgery. All went well.
An ice pack, proper meds, liquids, rest, stool softeners, mesh undies or a size up granny panties....you will be ready to go!!!
This is reassuring. I am having robotic surgery less invasive and am planning on taking a week off from my healthcare program. I an 42 and pandemic made me realize I need a career change. This is my first semester so I have three courses total. One in online and the other two meet for a few hours We’d a d Thurs mornings. If still not feeling well I can join them virtually second week but need to resume face to face by third week or I will get an incomplete. So the most stressful part is not only my recovery but trying to keep up on schoolwork while recovering. I have exams and many assignments. I am happy to hear everything went well for you. Did they test your fibroid afterward for cancer?
Unread 10-15-2021, 01:51 PM

Quote:
This is reassuring. I am having robotic surgery less invasive and am planning on taking a week off from my healthcare program. I an 42 and pandemic made me realize I need a career change. This is my first semester so I have three courses total. One in online and the other two meet for a few hours We’d a d Thurs mornings. If still not feeling well I can join them virtually second week but need to resume face to face by third week or I will get an incomplete. So the most stressful part is not only my recovery but trying to keep up on schoolwork while recovering. I have exams and many assignments. I am happy to hear everything went well for you. Did they test your fibroid afterward for cancer?
I had the robotic surgery too. I am an educator and taking 6 weeks off. Glad you have a plan for yourself. Sounds good. The virtual option may be a huge help for you.
One thing I heard about, but wasn't prepared for.....was being tired, a lot. I napped a lot week 1 and 2. Lol.
I had a uterine biopsy before surgery. All clear. Everything that was removed from surgery was biopsied as well. All clear. I still have my ovaries though and my doctor said they looked ok. My biggest issue that let to the surgery was fibroids. Those buggers caused major menstrual issues.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register