Upcoming vaginal hysterectomy 10/19: Abdominal binder? Was it painful to pee or poop post-op? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming vaginal hysterectomy 10/19: Abdominal binder? Was it painful to pee or poop post-op? Upcoming vaginal hysterectomy 10/19: Abdominal binder? Was it painful to pee or poop post-op?

Unread 10-15-2021, 05:42 PM
Re: Upcoming vaginal hysterectomy 10/19: Abdominal binder? Was it painful to pee or poop post-op?

I had a TAH on Aug 31st with a vertical incision. I woke up wearing an abdominal binder and I wore it regularly until about 4.5 weeks post op. It helped take the pressure off my incision.

Once my bowels began to wake up they started giving me a stool softener and that was a prescription that came home with me. Peeing was not difficult at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-15-2021, 05:49 PM
Upcoming vaginal hysterectomy 10/19: Abdominal binder? Was it painful to pee or poop post-op?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaineyBob View Post
I had a TAH on Aug 31st with a vertical incision. I woke up wearing an abdominal binder and I wore it regularly until about 4.5 weeks post op. It helped take the pressure off my incision.

Once my bowels began to wake up they started giving me a stool softener and that was a prescription that came home with me. Peeing was not difficult at all.
Oh my goodness a vertical incision! The pain must of been so bad. I am glad you recovered nicely. I have colace and Miralax and am taking both the moment I have food in my stomach after surgery lol
Unread 10-15-2021, 06:29 PM
Re: Upcoming vaginal hysterectomy 10/19: Abdominal binder? Was it painful to pee or poop post-op?

Binder is more a psychological support rather than a need unless your surgeon tells you you need one.

Urinating post op is often not an issue (nor painful), however some ladies had to go home with a catheter (on the rare side).

Post op constipation is common, there are plenty of tips in the “Hints from members “ section of this site.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-15-2021, 10:59 PM
Upcoming vaginal hysterectomy 10/19: Abdominal binder? Was it painful to pee or poop post-op?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPMS View Post
Binder is more a psychological support rather than a need unless your surgeon tells you you need one.

Urinating post op is often not an issue (nor painful), however some ladies had to go home with a catheter (on the rare side).

Post op constipation is common, there are plenty of tips in the “Hints from members “ section of this site.
That makes sense about the binder. Thank you for the assurance and replying!
Unread 10-16-2021, 04:48 AM

Here are a few suggested items to have on hand for post-op constipation and gas: a good pair of walking shoes; an easy-open water bottle, because drinking enough so that your urine is clear or pale yellow can help products like Mirilax and Colace to work better; peppermint tea; ground flaxseeds - I buy them whole and grind them in a coffee grinder; fiber from frozen blueberries, whole grain cereal like oatmeal or All Bran, and a supplement like Metamucil or Benefibre; magnesium from dark chocolate and pumpkin seeds; fennel or coriander seeds to chew on after every meal for gas relief; Gas-X; a Squatty Potty or small footstool to elevate your feet while you're on the throne, which can help by properly aligning your rectum so the poop can pass through more smoothly; probiotics from yogurt, kefir, kombucha, unpasteurized sauerkraut, or a high-quality supplement, to restore the good bacteria inside your intestinal tract and your urinary tract, which may be affected by antibiotics used in the surgery. Wishing you all the best for a successful surgery and a smooth recovery!
Unread 10-16-2021, 03:54 PM

Hi Tarrah62 -

A binder is a personal decision. I had a total abdominal hysterectomy with a 6-inch vertical incision and I never wanted one and never felt I needed one. Some women swear by them. If you are thinking about getting one, talk to your doctor first as some doctors do not want you to wear them.

Having a hysterectomy is MAJOR SURGERY. You are having an important organ removed from your body. No matter the surgery type, you will still have much internal healing to do. While recovery is different for everyone, you still need to think in terms of weeks and not days. Probably just one week off work will not be enough. You will have lifting restrictions: 10 lbs for 6 weeks and 20 lbs for 8 weeks is common. Driving restrictions can last 2 weeks, if not longer. Here are articles:
Hysterectomy Recovery Time
Too Much Too Soon After Hysterectomy?
Returning to Work after Hysterectomy

Remember that recovery is not a contest, nor is it a race. It is more marathon than sprint. You need to follow all of your doctor's orders to the letter - no additions, no subtractions. Listen to your body carefully, and do not push yourself too hard because if you do you could damage yourself. You only get one chance to heal right.

Unread 10-16-2021, 05:13 PM

Hi

I’m 16 days post TVH and hope I can reassure you about pee post surgery. Once the catheter was out the following morning the first visit to the bathroom stung a little but eased very quickly. Having the volume measured was a bit embarrassing by put they want to see you can go well enough before you go home.

Bowels were a very different matter, I didn’t have any stool softener to begin with and was getting extremely uncomfortable with nothing for 6 days. The first movement took several attempts and I chose our smallest bathroom so I could hold onto the basin at the same time! Just take it very steady, eat plenty of fibre and use softeners to help you. After a few days things were completely normal.

I did ask my surgeon and pre-op team about binders as I was supposed to have Lap assisted (surgeon said he’d try vaginal only first and succeeded) but they didn’t recommend one.

Yes, fibroid in my case was suspect and the cause of the hysterectomy so biopsied post, thankfully benign.

Good luck xx
Unread 10-18-2021, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarrah62 View Post
Did you get an abdominal binder in the hospital? I am thinking this will help with the pain post surgery. Then again not sure if there are any binders that secure below the belly button where incisions are. Was it painful to pee or poop? Sorry for personal questions but I want to be prepared for Tuesday! I also ordered mesh boy shorts and a bed tray from Amazon. Think I am also going to order a large gel ice pack.
Thinking of you. Hope today is a good day. Wishing you well and saying a prayer for you!!! Things will be just fine.
Unread 10-29-2021, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarrah62 View Post
Did you get an abdominal binder in the hospital? I am thinking this will help with the pain post surgery. Then again not sure if there are any binders that secure below the belly button where incisions are. Was it painful to pee or poop? Sorry for personal questions but I want to be prepared for Tuesday! I also ordered mesh boy shorts and a bed tray from Amazon. Think I am also going to order a large gel ice pack.
I didn’t use a binder—I hade a hard enough time with loose leggings and pj pants—anything constricting was too much. 3 weeks in I’ve only managed actual button up pants 1-2 times and quickly changed when I got home. I had difficulty with bowel movements. After 5 days with collace I was told to add miralax, senna, metamucil, and give a script for a suppository. Going pee was challenging for the first couple days. I kind of had to relearn my body’s signals because it was so painful to have to pee before, I was waiting for pain that didn’t come to signal I needed to go. I also ended peeing often—like every hour or 2 for the first week. Drink lots of water is it’ll help with diluting all the surgery meds. I did ice but didn’t find it helpful. I didn’t do heat cuz I’m having hot flashes. When I had back pain I stood in a hot shower with the water hitting my back. Hope this helps! Good luck with your recovery! You got this!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register