4 weeks post hysterectomy and worried/ confused about pain and how I'm feeling. Please respond. - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)


HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Reply

4 weeks post hysterectomy and worried/ confused about pain and how I'm feeling. Please respond. 4 weeks post hysterectomy and worried/ confused about pain and how I'm feeling. Please respond.

Thread Tools
  #11  
Unread 10-20-2021, 07:06 PM
Re: 4 weeks post hysterectomy and worried/ confused about pain and how I'm feeling. Please respond.

Iím sorry you are struggling so much.

But your poor body. It is telling you, over and over, in a variety of ways, ďplease stop! You are doing too much, too soon, I need rest!Ē And you are ignoring it. There are risks to doing too much, too soon. Your risk of vagina tear increases. Itís quite possible you can delay your own healing. And you can also form painful internal adhesions that can create havoc and require ANOTHER abdominal surgery to remove. Itís NOT worth it!

Sure fire ways to reduce the pain, inflammation and pressure. Rest. Recline, feet up, and get an ice pack on your belly and a frozen, water soaked maxi in the crotch of your underwear and alternate 20 minutes on and off in two hour intervals. Ice is the best for inflammation, and itís inflammation thatís causing the pain and pressure. Make sure you are drinking enough water. Small walks around your home. No lifting, pushing or pulling anything over 10 pounds. No vacuuming, sweeping or mopping. Period. Not until youíre cleared. No making beds. Itís too much bending and pulling, and most of us lift the mattress several times without a thought to tuck sheets. Just donít do it. Be mindful bending and lifting wet clothes out of the washer and heavy loads from the dryer. If it pulls? STOP.

As far as feeling guilty and like an inconvenience. Youíre been a good wife and mom for years. Youíve taken care of everyone, cooked and cleaned and shopped and school and extracurriculars and family obligations and medical appointments and invested time and energy into your marriage, as well. Youíve just had MAJOR surgery. Your family is all capable of stepping up and taking care of one another and you while you heal. Itís GOOD for them. They are all old enough to cook and clean, the older kids can help the younger ones with homework, lunch packing, ensuring everyone has their stuff together. You should be nothing more than a director, in your comfy chair, with your megaphone, directing them. And they should WANT TO take care of their mom and wife who has ALWAYS taken such good care of them.

You know, it wasnít so long ago that women who had hysterectomies were kept in the hospital for weeks and then sent home on bed rest. Do you know why that was? It was because doctors KNEW the women wouldnít get the rest and support they needed at home without it. The surgery hasnít changed all that much, the internal work is still the same. The change has been hospitals changing to for profit, insurance companies getting involved and saying ďweíll only cover this!Ē There is also a belief that weíve gotten better and that women will now get the rest and support they need! DEMAND IT. You deserve it and you desperately need it!

You only get ONE chance to heal without complications. Donít waste it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #12  
Unread 10-20-2021, 11:31 PM
Re: 4 weeks post hysterectomy and worried/ confused about pain and how I'm feeling. Please respond.

Asturd,

Please read what Mindy Lee wrote carefully and follow it to a T. I agree with her 100% and am glad someone said it. Iím not good at tough love, so all Iím going to say is: This time is going to pass regardless of what you do. You can either choose to take care of yourself and minimize the risk of future issues or you can jump in with both feet and keep feeling like crap.

Iím almost exactly where you are in healing, and my pain is almost completely gone, the minor pain I do have are slight twinges in my pelvis. I have no bleeding, and feel very much like my old self. Iíve even lost between 12-13 lbs. You deserve to heal, relax, and not stress. This is a time where you can really hurt yourself or really take care of yourself. For yourself and your family, take the time. Your healing shouldnít be an inconvenience to anyone, and asking for help is what you need to do to take care of you.

Weíve all been there, we all want to get back to our normal lives. Our emotions are wavering too. We completely understand, empathize, and sympathize. We want whatís best for you.

In order to get my eldest child to understand exactly what was going on and to get stuff done, I had to explain everything they did to my insides. I had to lay out that graphic picture (twice- separate occasions) before he got it. He thought that because I felt ok, that I was. When I explained it, he got it, I almost broke out a diagram, but decided not to traumatize him. My point I guess is simple (even though I keep going on and on), do whatever you have to, in order to get your family to understand where you are, and what needs to happen for your healing, and maybe you need to have that imagery in your mind as well every time you feel the need to do more or you feel like an inconvenience. Youíre a strong capable woman. You can get through the rest period since Iím sure what brought you to surgery was causing you more strife than a few weeks off.
  #13  
Unread 10-21-2021, 07:55 AM
Re: 4 weeks post hysterectomy and worried/ confused about pain and how I'm feeling. Please respond.

Thank you both for responding, even if it scared me a little about damaging myself more on the inside. After my 5 days when I said i felt better so I got up and did things, I knew i overexerted myself. my doc even told me that when i went there bc of how i felt so bad. he told me i disrupted my healing process and to go back to resting. So i did. since then i have not done much of anything but walking as much as i can and making small meals. i have not done housework or anything in that nature. Yesterday was a bad recovery day for me. i was so sore and bloated. felt like someone repeatedly kicked me in sides and stomach. well, i didn't go number two for 3 days so i took more stool softener and gas x- i went but not enough to make me feel better.
This morning I got up and pretty much cleaned out my whole colon (sorry TMI) the swelling is now down and i do not feel so much pain like i did yesterday, just very very sore and achy. So im assuming to keep myself up on the stool softener and gas x. i never realized how gas could make you so much in pain. i also noticed that the discomfort i'm feeling in my vagina isn't there in the mornings but by mid afternoon into evening i start feeling it again along with rectum pressure. maybe sitting so long? maybe gas? maybe my bowels? idk but mornings i feel good, just sore.
I appreciate everything you ladies have wrote and i WILL listen to you. wish i could go back and redo recovery process......heck sometimes i sit and cry and wish i would have never had this dang surgery bc i feel i will NEVER get back to normal.my emotions are every where. i cry a lot, i worry a lot......no women in my family has ever had this done so i feel alone when it comes to getting the advice from them, so just know i'm very grateful for you ladies and this website.

Hibiscusorchid---im so happy to hear you are feeling great!!!! i'm ready to get there!! congrats on the weight loss! i myself have put on about 10lbs. i have cravings like i'm pregnant.....another thing i'm getting depressed about....but hey right now my focus is getting better. thanks again for feedback.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #14  
Unread 10-21-2021, 08:25 AM
Re: 4 weeks post hysterectomy and worried/ confused about pain and how I'm feeling. Please respond.

Asturd,

You will start to notice you get better a little every day. Iím so glad youíre taking a stool softener and gas x because as you stated, the build up of that can make you feel terrible. The reason for the pain and pressure is probably as you stated as well, a build up in the colon. I really took a close look at how everything in a woman looks after surgery, and the vagina and the rectum are very close to one another, and when one is filled they can probably rub.

My emotions are all over the place as well. I think this is something you have to physically and emotionally recover from, and our hormones being jumbled from surgery doesnít help. Iím not usually an emotional person, but at every stage of this (pre-op to post-op) I have cried or been upset. It does get better. Your ovaries will balance out, and hopefully with that, the cravings will slow down. Iím glad youíre noticing the fluctuations in your body throughout the day.

No woman in my family has had a hysterectomy either, so I understand that loneliness. I feel like none of them know what to say to me, or if they even should. Itís not easy having no one in your life to relate to about such a strange situation. At the beginning of the year this whole surgery wasnít even a consideration for me, and now, I donít have any reproductive organs but my ovaries, and vagina.

Iím sending you my highest hopes, best wishes, and warmest hugs. I hope your healing becomes more obvious in the coming days, and that everything begins to start to feel normal. Youíll lose the weight, get back to normal, and feel more settled.
  #15  
Unread 10-21-2021, 08:31 AM
Re: 4 weeks post hysterectomy and worried/ confused about pain and how I'm feeling. Please respond.

  Quote:
Originally Posted by Hibiscusorchid View Post
Asturd,

You will start to notice you get better a little every day. Iím so glad youíre taking a stool softener and gas x because as you stated, the build up of that can make you feel terrible. The reason for the pain and pressure is probably as you stated as well, a build up in the colon. I really took a close look at how everything in a woman looks after surgery, and the vagina and the rectum are very close to one another, and when one is filled they can probably rub.

My emotions are all over the place as well. I think this is something you have to physically and emotionally recover from, and our hormones being jumbled from surgery doesnít help. Iím not usually an emotional person, but at every stage of this (pre-op to post-op) I have cried or been upset. It does get better. Your ovaries will balance out, and hopefully with that, the cravings will slow down. Iím glad youíre noticing the fluctuations in your body throughout the day.

No woman in my family has had a hysterectomy either, so I understand that loneliness. I feel like none of them know what to say to me, or if they even should. Itís not easy having no one in your life to relate to about such a strange situation. At the beginning of the year this whole surgery wasnít even a consideration for me, and now, I donít have any reproductive organs but my ovaries, and vagina.

Iím sending you my highest hopes, best wishes, and warmest hugs. I hope your healing becomes more obvious in the coming days, and that everything begins to start to feel normal. Youíll lose the weight, get back to normal, and feel more settled.

Bless your heart! Thank you, I'm glad I'm not alone in this and I have all of you ladies! Its crazy what are bodies go through as women. I didn't think about vagina pain being from rectum....makes sense! My surgery was not planned either so it was a shock. Thank you again for everything. You are wonderful!
  #16  
Unread 10-21-2021, 05:22 PM
Re: 4 weeks post hysterectomy and worried/ confused about pain and how I'm feeling. Please respond.

SUPRISE SUPRISE! NEW DISCOMFORT PAIN TODAY!
I swear I wake up every day to a new discomfort/pain ...so my new feeling today is that my sides are KILLING ME! Around my ribs and to my back.. It's an achy very sore feeling.
I just don't understand why every day I feel something different.
I TOOK A NUMBER 2 TODAY, I TOOK MY GAS X----WHAT COULD IT BE? WHY AM I FEELING THIS WAY? EVERYDAY I FEEL I DO NOT IMPROVE.

Just another day of me wishing I would have never done this surgery and how I feel I will never get over all this pain and discomfort. I did NOTHING today but went number 2, had some coffee, put my dinner in crock pot, and picked up a child from practice. THAT IS IT. Yet, i feel like someone beat the hell outta me.
  #17  
Unread 10-21-2021, 05:30 PM
4 weeks post hysterectomy and worried/ confused about pain and how I'm feeling. Please respond.

  Quote:
Originally Posted by asturd View Post
SUPRISE SUPRISE! NEW DISCOMFORT PAIN TODAY!
I swear I wake up every day to a new discomfort/pain ...so my new feeling today is that my sides are KILLING ME! Around my ribs and to my back.. It's an achy very sore feeling.
I just don't understand why every day I feel something different.
I TOOK A NUMBER 2 TODAY, I TOOK MY GAS X----WHAT COULD IT BE? WHY AM I FEELING THIS WAY? EVERYDAY I FEEL I DO NOT IMPROVE.

Just another day of me wishing I would have never done this surgery and how I feel I will never get over all this pain and discomfort. I did NOTHING today but went number 2, had some coffee, put my dinner in crock pot, and picked up a child from practice. THAT IS IT. Yet, i feel like someone beat the hell outta me.
This is normal! I have days where I feel like I took a giant step backward and everything hurts. And those are really discouraging. Today I actually woke up and felt normal for the first time. And it was bizarre because I was in so much pain until about 4:30 in the morning. But when I woke up, I didn't have any aches or pains. I just felt like me. And as I got moving around I started getting some achiness but not as bad, and it gave me hope that I am really slowly recovering. It could be that later tonight I will hurt a lot or tomorrow I will have a super achy day. But I'll get there. And so will you. I know it's really discouraging because it feels like it takes so long to heal. And it does. But maybe it's not something you were expecting. It's definitely not something I was expecting. I thought it was going to be easier than it was. And granted, I did have two surgeries within a week because of that infected blood clot, but recovering just from a hysterectomy is still hard. It is going to be okay. All you can do is take one day at a time. Sometimes only one moment at a time. And you will get better. Be so patient with yourself. Your body is healing so much on the inside and has to do so much on the inside. Sometimes I don't know why something aches the way it does but I remember that there are nerve endings and ligaments and all sorts of things inside that have to heal. Even when there are days when I do absolutely nothing, I can feel like my abdomen took a pummeling.
  #18  
Unread 10-21-2021, 05:45 PM
Re: 4 weeks post hysterectomy and worried/ confused about pain and how I'm feeling. Please respond.

  Quote:
Originally Posted by lauraj87 View Post
This is normal! I have days where I feel like I took a giant step backward and everything hurts. And those are really discouraging. Today I actually woke up and felt normal for the first time. And it was bizarre because I was in so much pain until about 4:30 in the morning. But when I woke up, I didn't have any aches or pains. I just felt like me. And as I got moving around I started getting some achiness but not as bad, and it gave me hope that I am really slowly recovering. It could be that later tonight I will hurt a lot or tomorrow I will have a super achy day. But I'll get there. And so will you. I know it's really discouraging because it feels like it takes so long to heal. And it does. But maybe it's not something you were expecting. It's definitely not something I was expecting. I thought it was going to be easier than it was. And granted, I did have two surgeries within a week because of that infected blood clot, but recovering just from a hysterectomy is still hard. It is going to be okay. All you can do is take one day at a time. Sometimes only one moment at a time. And you will get better. Be so patient with yourself. Your body is healing so much on the inside and has to do so much on the inside. Sometimes I don't know why something aches the way it does but I remember that there are nerve endings and ligaments and all sorts of things inside that have to heal. Even when there are days when I do absolutely nothing, I can feel like my abdomen took a pummeling.

LAURA! YOU ARE A GODSENT TO ME RIGHT NOW! Thank you for reassuring me. You are right I didn't expect all this with recovery. Everyday when I wake up I'm always asking myself am I the only one going through this. When you or other ladies write me back and tell me I'm not the only one and things will get better, makes me know I'm not alone. You know I was 19 years old when I had a hemorrhagic tumor on my right ovary, so doc removed ovary and fallopian tube. I DO NOT remember recovery being like this. granted i didn't have any organs get pulled out from my vagina and i'm sure that makes a big difference as well. I remember bouncing back so fast. I was done for a week and after that BAM back to normal. So I prepped myself to recovery was going to be the same at the procedure 13 years ago. BOOOYY was I wrong.
Honestly, that is why after day 5 when I felt good, i started doing things because of my past recovery, not thinking of how different this surgery was. I regret ever getting up and doing things. I just want to feel better....I'm looking forward to the day I can write you and tell you I feel good, I feel like I'm taking a step forward instead of taking 2 steps back. I appreciate you taking your time to write me back.
  #19  
Unread 10-21-2021, 06:24 PM
Re: 4 weeks post hysterectomy and worried/ confused about pain and how I'm feeling. Please respond.

  Quote:
Originally Posted by asturd View Post
SUPRISE SUPRISE! NEW DISCOMFORT PAIN TODAY!
I swear I wake up every day to a new discomfort/pain ...so my new feeling today is that my sides are KILLING ME! Around my ribs and to my back.. It's an achy very sore feeling.
I just don't understand why every day I feel something different.
I TOOK A NUMBER 2 TODAY, I TOOK MY GAS X----WHAT COULD IT BE? WHY AM I FEELING THIS WAY? EVERYDAY I FEEL I DO NOT IMPROVE.

Just another day of me wishing I would have never done this surgery and how I feel I will never get over all this pain and discomfort. I did NOTHING today but went number 2, had some coffee, put my dinner in crock pot, and picked up a child from practice. THAT IS IT. Yet, i feel like someone beat the hell outta me.
Asturd,

Iím so sorry today is another bad day. I know it seems interminable, but this will all pass. You will wake up one day, and this (the hard part) will be over.

I havenít read your ďorigin storyĒ, (if youíre comfortable) can you tell us a bit about what caused you to decide to have a hysterectomy? What made you decide enough was enough?

Maybe focusing on what youíll gain when youíre healed will help you get through this crummy time. My favorite thing is that Iíll be able to wear beautiful bra and panty sets as Iíve never been able to because of my bad periods. Iíll be able to lose weight since I couldnít before because it would make me bleed more heavily. Maybe my way of coping will help, I hope it does. Iíve been doing a lot of internet window shopping.

I too had sudden pain on my right side a few weeks ago. Itís completely normal. I figured it had to be my ligaments and muscles since I was heaving myself out of my recliner. I decided to stay in bed for a few days, only getting up to get more water when my cup was empty, heat a can of soup or use the bathroom. It helped a little, but I think my body just healed whatever was injured/trying to heal because the pain slowly decreased, and was just gone one day. Iím not saying ďyay meĒ, Iím saying, you too will see the day where one ache ends, another may begin, but you will start to notice a lessening of discomfort.

Can you take any pain relievers? Even over the counter would be better than suffering. Maybe a heating pad or an ice pack. I really hate that youíre suffering so much and want to find a solution for you.

Another thing that may still be contributing to your aches, pains and misery: we were in a very strange position during surgery. When I first realized my head would be tilted towards the floor during the operation I was horrified. I wanted to back out right then, but here I am, no uterus, Fallopian tubes and cervix.

My only advice is to do as little as possible. One thing I noticed helped with some of my discomfort was when I started being able to have bowel movements freely I stopped taking all the stool softeners and whatnot. Those were really giving me a lot of pain. It wasnít my bodyís healing process, it was whatever those medications were doing to my insides. The day after I stopped taking them I was feeling much better and promised never to take them again. A lot of ladies on here have advice about what you can eat thatíll help you use the bathroom comfortably, regularly, and without medication. Some do Raisin Bran, prunes, lots of veggies, nothing thatíll cause constipation. Maybe stop eating grains, breads, pastas, and minimize proteins? This is my opinion, not something I got from a doctor.

Please continue updating us about how youíre doing.
  #20  
Unread 10-21-2021, 07:12 PM
Re: 4 weeks post hysterectomy and worried/ confused about pain and how I'm feeling. Please respond.

Hi Asturd,
So sorry you are dealing with this, I can relate. At 5 weeks post up I started a thread I titled " 5 weeks post up beyond frustrated " and I was. Seemed like new day, new pain. I started to feel much better at 6 weeks, forced myself to slow down and remember this is a marathon. Just because we look okay on the outside doesn't mean we are healed inside. Try to remember why you had the surgery and that you won't have to deal with those issues in the future. I am now 10 weeks post op and doing so much better.!! I started writing down my pains and crossed off once they were gone, helped me see how far I have come. Also my doctor have me a picture of my removed uterus (very large) and ovaries, fibroids are visible, I look at it to remind me I did the right thing. You will get there sister
Reply

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register




Thread Tools

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
From This Forum From Other Forums
5 Replies, Last Reply 09-08-2014, Started By PatriciaStP
22 Replies, Last Reply 03-27-2013, Started By audrey2.0
2 Replies, Last Reply 07-17-2011, Started By DANA322
5 Replies, Last Reply 07-31-2008, Started By addiemae
4 Replies, Last Reply 03-07-2007, Started By trishg
7 Replies, Last Reply 10-11-2006, Started By Cohl
9 Replies, Last Reply 08-02-2003, Started By Annakin
17 Replies, Last Reply 07-18-2002, Started By Jacque064
7 Replies, Last Reply 01-12-2002, Started By maryw
28 Replies, Last Reply 01-03-2002, Started By gapeachlpn
1 Reply, Last Reply 09-18-2001, Started By margaret ellen
13 Replies, Last Reply 06-06-2001, Started By dmbee
3 Replies, Last Reply 12-19-2000, Started By Ami
18 Replies, Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)
1 Reply, Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)
5 Replies, Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues
11 Replies, Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)
32 Replies, Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)
2 Replies, No Uterus - No Ovaries - No Hormones - Managing Menopause
8 Replies, Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)



Advertisement

Hysterectomy News

December 3,2021

CURRENT NEWS

HysterSisters Takes On Partner To Manage Continued Growth And Longevity
I have news that is wonderful and exciting! This week’s migration wasn’t a typical migration - from one set ... News Archive

TODAY'S EVENTS

Calendar - Hysterectomies - Birthdays


Request Information


I am a HysterSister

HYSTERECTOMY STORIES

Featured Story - All Stories - Share Yours

FOLLOW US


Your Hysterectomy Date


CUSTOMIZE Your Browsing  


$vbulletin->featuredvideos is not an array!
Advertisement


Advertisement