Fibroids - I made my decision pretty quickly | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Fibroids - I made my decision pretty quickly Fibroids - I made my decision pretty quickly

Unread 04-12-2011, 10:04 AM
Fibroids - I made my decision pretty quickly

Hello to all,

I am brand new here and have to tell you that the site is just great--the biggest thing is,.....I AM NOT ALONE!
I am hoping someone out there can relate to my story and giveme some guidance.
I am 45 and no tink...i am just over 200lbs and 5'8'' I have dealt with multiple fibroids and all of the fantastic side effects these little buggers deliver for years. My uterus is now getting bigger and bigger ...last year 12cm this year I am up to 15.7cm x 6.7 cmx7.2cm From what i gather this is fairly big...correct?

I look pregnant! Even as big as I am...I am looking like i am 4-5 Months pregnant! I have had it with the heavy feeling in my gut, the constipation, the heavy peiods....does anyone out there think this is too premature for me to consider a uterus only hysterectomy? I want to hand on to my Ovaries for as long as possible to avoid surgically induced menopause (i have enough problems!)

Please advise if you have any thoughts out there.....is it possible this will just go away if I can hang in there until natual menopause kicks in?

I have no real emergency with the symptoms just tired of the anemia, constipation and looking like i am pregnant...if you dont mind I have 2 questions....1) how big did they say your UT was? and 2) was their measurement accurate once it was actually removed? what was the true size and weight?

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-17-2011, 07:30 AM
Re: I made my decision pretty quickly

Those are pretty big. I have four and the largest is 9cm and the doctor told me "that's pretty big." My uterus at the last ultrasound in January was 8.5cm They are pressing on my bladder and causing me to have problems urinating. My primary care doctor told me a horror story about her own daughter who kept putting off getting her fibroids removed and ended up getting an emergency myomectomy and they nearly lost her on the table. She begged me not to wait much longer to get something done.

I don't think it's too soon for you to consider having something done. The fibroids will shrink when you go into menopause, but that could still be quite a long time.

I'd suggest you talk about your options with your gyn, and perhaps also get a second opinion.
Unread 04-17-2011, 07:49 AM
Re: I made my decision pretty quickly

I am having my TAH on April 27th, I have been in pain and misery for so many years, pretty much since getting my period in 3rd, yes 3rd,grade. I have been told by ultrasound and an exploratory laproscopy that my the lining of my uterus is 25 1/2 cm thick, it is so big that I look about 4/5 months pregnant, I have had 2 childern so I know how it feels and that is how it feels there is so much pressure, pain, I had several huge fibroids, endeometriosis (stage 3), and so on. I am having my uterus and cervix removed and the remaining endometriosis will be scraped off my overaies, bowels, etc... I have a great primary doc and an even better OBGY, whom specializes in cancer, fibroids, high risk situations. As she told me....there is absolutly no reason to live with constant pain, bloating, horrendous periods, bleeding, clots, the extreme cramps..no reason. I can't ignore the fact that I am nervous for this surgery, but I am so excited to have my life be "normal" I am 30 and feel like I live in a 80 year old body.
I would suggest talking to your OB, get a second opinion, go with you heart and ask yourself....why am I choosing to live my life like this, it dose not have to be this way. Thats what I did and I hope I can report that having this surgery has fixed the last 20yrs of agony!!! Good Luck, take care and remember to put your body and yourself first!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register