Scheduled TAH getting very nervous ..... can I fly home after hysterectomy surgery? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

getting very nervous ..... can I fly home after hysterectomy surgery? getting very nervous ..... can I fly home after hysterectomy surgery?

Unread 04-27-2014, 08:50 AM
getting very nervous ..... can I fly home after hysterectomy surgery?

I'm due on the 1st of May to have my complete hysterectomy saving only my ovaries. ... my journey starts tomorrow morning as I have to fly to Perth on my own. .. 800th km from my home town to be on time for my Tuesday morning pre admission appointment in them staying in a hotel until Thursday spending 4 to 5 days in hospital and not knowing how I'm going to get home. ... my thoughts are that it would be much more comfortable flying. ... Does anyone know if I would be OK to fly. ... is it recommended so soon after surgery. ... I can't imagine coping very well 8 hours as a passenger in a car to get home but am keen to be home.... so bloody anxious however I'm positive it will all go smoothly... I would also love to thank all the hystersisters .... Such a great site. xxx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-27-2014, 09:48 AM
Re: getting very nervous .....

I'm not sure about flying as I've not flown after a surgery and have not read on here. What type of surgery are you having?
Unread 04-27-2014, 10:02 AM
Re: getting very nervous .....

Not sure either. See if you doctor has an answering service and try to get their opinion. If you are unable to fly, fix up the vehicle before you go. Make it as comfortable as you can. Lots of cushion and pillows. Also, before you are discharged, have them give you a pain injection that will last you the trip.
{{{{HUGS}}}} Hope you get home with minimal, if no pain at all!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-27-2014, 10:23 AM
getting very nervous ..... can I fly home after hysterectomy surgery?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacyleah View Post
Not sure either. See if you doctor has an answering service and try to get their opinion. If you are unable to fly, fix up the vehicle before you go. Make it as comfortable as you can. Lots of cushion and pillows. Also, before you are discharged, have them give you a pain injection that will last you the trip.
{{{{HUGS}}}} Hope you get home with minimal, if no pain at all!!!
Thank you so much that's good advice I'll definitely talk to the doctor on Tuesday about this xxx thank you
Unread 04-27-2014, 01:43 PM
Re: getting very nervous ..... can I fly home after hysterectomy surgery?

Either way please keep a handy stock of pain meds, water, and snacks you control. I was cleared to fly after 2 weeks. Also, lots of pillows too -- turbulence or road roughness equals bounces so something between belly and belt might help. If you fly I hope you get bumped to first class because you will deserve it!
Best of luck!
Unread 04-27-2014, 01:56 PM

I would think that at least at first, while your sutures are healing, the changes of pressures due to altitudes might be dangerous- think of how uncomfortable your eardrums get! I hope you get this selttled, but I'd wait a long time before getting on an airplane. Even thinking about it makes me cringe.
Unread 04-27-2014, 03:28 PM

I think flying will depend on what kind of surgery you had. But driving 8 hours is probably worse for you than flying. Talk to your doctor!
Unread 04-27-2014, 03:56 PM

Check with your doctor whether this travel mode will be restricted. My understanding is that there is an increased risk of blood clots with flying so soon after abdominal surgery. I believe I read that this risk lasts up to one year.

Here are articles that may provide some information for you:
Traveling after Hysterectomy | Airplanes
Traveling after Hysterectomy | Road Trips

Unread 04-27-2014, 04:53 PM

I travel quite frequently and use compression socks to prevent blood clots when flying even without surgery. Like the others have said, I'd ask your doctor specifics. I had a 2 hour car ride home on terrible winter pot-holed roads (think gravel or dirt bumpy roads). It was uncomfortable but not terrible. Oddly enough, the time it really hurt driving was the time we hit a dip in the road. The dip was smooth, but you know the kind like at the end of a roller coaster ride? Anyway, that hurt and I'd think a plane ride (inertia when taking off and landing) would more resemble the dip experience.

Have you thought about a car ride in the back seat (with pillow between your stomach and belt), nausea medicine, pain meds, AND a sleep aid like lunesta or ambian so you slept the entire ride home? The might be what I'd be asking for in your situation.

Blessings and respect from Michigan
Unread 04-27-2014, 05:52 PM

I am guessing you are talking about a small plane as opposed to a commercial jet. You won't have the same altitude problems with the plane, but its going to be uncomfortable. If you don't get sea sick have you thought about traveling by water? Even a small cabin would be easier than a plane or a car......

Mattie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register