Upcoming hysterectomy 10/21: Wanting to keep my ovaries but Dr is saying i should have my tubes removed. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming hysterectomy 10/21: Wanting to keep my ovaries but Dr is saying i should have my tubes removed. Upcoming hysterectomy 10/21: Wanting to keep my ovaries but Dr is saying i should have my tubes removed.

Unread 10-12-2016, 12:14 AM
Upcoming hysterectomy 10/21: Wanting to keep my ovaries but Dr is saying i should have my tubes removed.

Hello i am Elizabeth & 44 yrs and have had problems with cysts, fibroids and endometriosis for over 10yrs. I have decided on the. Da Vinci robot laparoscopic hysterectomy. I am wanting to keep my ovaries is possible ( have had a vaginal sonogram and my right ovary is no longer visible - so that is why I am saying if possible) My doctor has said even with keeping my ovaries that he usually removes the fallopian tubes to limit risk of ovarian cancer when leaving ovaries. He has assured me that my ovary function won't be hindered without my tubes. I was wanting to hear from any ladies who have had this done and their input or advice on keeping my tubes or allowing them to be removed. Or if anyone has done research on this matter I would GREATLY appreciate any info or input. I was feeling ok about them being removed and today after my pre op with the nurse ( who has had a hysterectomy herself sort of hinted I should keep my tubes and make that known to Dr and all in operating room) ANY help or info would be so greatly appreciated. My surgery date is scheduled for 10/21/2016. Thanks so much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-12-2016, 04:05 AM
Upcoming hysterectomy 10/21: Wanting to keep my ovaries but Dr is saying i should have my tubes removed.

Hello- I am having a LAVH next week and definitely want my tubes out. I've researched it and there is strong evidence that the most common type of ovarian cancer starts in the tubes. My doc never leaves them behind because of this fact. As for your ovarian function, I've read so many different stories. My friend who was 44 when she has her LAVH is still ovulating 4 years on. I guess it varies. Best of luck !

Lolo47
Unread 10-12-2016, 04:17 AM

Good morning Elizabeth, to Hystersisters!
I kept my ovaries and had my Fallopian tubes removed. I think most surgeons would opt not to remove the ovaries if they're perfectly healthy, as they were in my case. As your surgeon has stated, and as mine told me, removing the tubes does lower the risk of ovarian cancer, because recent studies suggest that it often starts there. The main blood supply to the ovaries comes from the uterine artery, so they may shut down for a few weeks following your surgery, but then they will find a new supply, and resume normal function. I can say that now, 18 months after my surgery, my ovaries are still fully functioning, as I believe yours will too. Best wishes for a successful surgery and a smooth recovery!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-12-2016, 04:19 AM

I'm 12 weeks postop and have had no issues with ovarian function after having my tubes removed. My understanding is that a possible change can occur whether they take the tubes or not because the cut the artery to remove the uterus. The increased cancer risk was enough for me to be more comfortable with their removal.

Best wishes for a smooth procedure and recovery.
Unread 10-12-2016, 05:26 AM
Re: Upcoming hysterectomy 10/21: Wanting to keep my ovaries but Dr is saying i should have my tubes removed.

I've researched among teacher friends and found that it's best to remove the tubes because of possible cancer. I have the attitude, "get everything done while in there" because I know the dangers of going under the knife repeatedly.
Unread 10-12-2016, 06:19 AM
Re: Upcoming hysterectomy 10/21: Wanting to keep my ovaries but Dr is saying i should have my tubes removed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth22 View Post
Hello i am Elizabeth & 44 yrs and have had problems with cysts, fibroids and endometriosis for over 10yrs. I have decided on the. Da Vinci robot laparoscopic hysterectomy. I am wanting to keep my ovaries is possible ( have had a vaginal sonogram and my right ovary is no longer visible - so that is why I am saying if possible) My doctor has said even with keeping my ovaries that he usually removes the fallopian tubes to limit risk of ovarian cancer when leaving ovaries. He has assured me that my ovary function won't be hindered without my tubes. I was wanting to hear from any ladies who have had this done and their input or advice on keeping my tubes or allowing them to be removed. Or if anyone has done research on this matter I would GREATLY appreciate any info or input. I was feeling ok about them being removed and today after my pre op with the nurse ( who has had a hysterectomy herself sort of hinted I should keep my tubes and make that known to Dr and all in operating room) ANY help or info would be so greatly appreciated. My surgery date is scheduled for 10/21/2016. Thanks so much.
Elizabeth22, I had my hysterectomy on 10/4. My dr said that now there is new studies saying that removing the tubes even when keeping ovaries is considered the best thing. I don't honestly remember why, but they took mine, and I kept the ovaries.
Unread 10-12-2016, 06:52 AM

I had my uterus, cervix, and tubes removed. I kept my ovaries. My OB/GYN told me the same thing, ovarian cancer can actually begin in the tubes and NOT the ovaries.

I was worried that once everything was removed, the ovaries would lose their blood supply and "die", but my OB/GYN assured me that would not happen. She explained that the ovaries will get their blood supply from some major artery in our pubic region. (I'm sorry, I can't remember the name of the artery she told me!)
Anyway, my hysterectomy was a week ago and so far, I've had NO issues and believe my ovaries are working just fine.

I was a bit confused/nervous about taking out my tubes, but the more research I did, the more I understood that it truly is the best thing....especially if ovarian cancer is a concern.
Unread 10-12-2016, 09:02 AM

My doctor said that now instead of tying the tubes to prevent pregnancy they are removing them because ovarian cancer often starts in the tubes. She said they can remove the tubes and everything else continues to function as normal.
Unread 10-12-2016, 10:53 AM

Had tubes out and left ovaries about 4 weeks ago. No issues so far and everything seems to be functioning well.
Unread 10-12-2016, 11:47 AM

Thank everyone's so much for all your input I feel good about having my tubes removed now! Thanks y'all are wonderful!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register