How does it feel after a TVH? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How does it feel after a TVH? How does it feel after a TVH?

Unread 02-07-2005, 04:05 PM
How does it feel after a TVH?

Ok, I am having a TVH and am curious if since the surgery is done through the vagina if the stomach has any part in the whole thing such as swelly belly like when done abdominally. Also kind of anthesia has been used on this type of procedure? I have been reading alot about epiderals, generals etc I would appreciate any persons who has had this done this way their input.
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-07-2005, 04:42 PM

Hi!

I had a TVH with general anesthesia. I was offered epidural or spinal with twilight, but since I had never had surgery before, I just wanted to be knocked out. General worked out well for me even though I did have some nausea afterwards.

I did have some swelly belly...not as bad as some ladies do. I really noticed it as I became more active and it was obvious at the end of the day. Basically, my jeans would be a little tighter but not uncomfortable.

I wish you the best with your upcoming surgery!

s

Deb
Unread 02-07-2005, 04:45 PM

I had a TVH on Jan 7, 2005.

I had a general with some sort of anti-nausea med mixed in because I get sick from anesthesia. I did not want to be awake for the procedure! My doctor told my DH that my operation was text book-no complications. I was released from hospital 22 hours post-op. I was on Demerol for the first week for pain management. I have stuck to doctor's strict rules about no lifting, no sex, nothing in the vagina, no pushing, no pulling and no driving for 6 weeks!

I have been pretty good about it. I am now just on Tylenol and Advil for pain. I don't have a swelly belly much. Not that I have noticed. When I was released form hospital I wore some pants that were too big for me originally and on that day I had to undo them in order to be comfortable. I did wear yoga pants and a nice and comfy stretchy skirt (when I wanted to look pretty) for about 2-3 weeks and then I started wearing my skin tight jeans and cords after that. I could have worn my jeans a week earlier but didn't care to since I spent a lot of time in and out of bed taking naps.

I am a 36 year old mom with 3 children and a DH. Recuperating has been BORING but benefical! I think that I am doing as well as could be. Bending was somewhat uncomfortable. Bumps on the road still make me wince! I listen to my body and if it says it is tired or that it hurts I stop. I rest when I can and eat lots of roughage and have lots of water (8-12 glasses a day). Bowl movements are still a bit of a problem.

I have had mood swings and night sweats but that is getting better with time.

I wish you lots of luck. It will be fine. Be good to yourself!

ewok
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-07-2005, 04:46 PM

I had a general, and some swelly belly like Deb, only when I did to much. Take good care of yourself.

Cherri
Unread 02-07-2005, 04:50 PM

Hi,

Swelly belly happens in just about every hyster because the tissues and organs surrounding the site become swollen due to the surgery. It's like any kind of injury to your body...it will react by swelling,etc.

You can talk with your dr about anesthesia to see what he recommends. I had a general with a shot of morphine after. Some women also have epidurals and do just fine. Sounds like you're doing your research and are learning a lot.

Keep reading all you can and you will feel so much more in control. If you go up to the purple box at the top of the page, click on "Checkpoints", it will take you to a page with lots of information. Go over to "pre-op" and click on that. Great hints and info.

Keep us posted on how you're doing!!

Blessings,
Judy
Unread 02-07-2005, 05:19 PM

we are having the same surgery on the same day !! Thanks for posting about this. I myself am a little worried, but it really seems with every post I read I learn something new, and feel a little better. Here's to hoping all goes well on 2/22 for the both of us.

Michele
Unread 02-08-2005, 09:40 AM

Thanks for all the answers. I feel much better knowing as much as I can. JMK9903 - Good luck with yours I will think about you when I wake up and hope yours goes as good as I am hopeing my will. I am still very nervous more so with each day but that is because I do not like surgery (who does ) and just wish I could get this over with. The dr said I could pick the day (tuesday only) and I guess because it was such a shock and I wanted to make sure my desk was caught up I picked the 22nd which was a month from the day I was told needed this. Should have done sooner but then I wouldn't have learned as much as I have been able to. This site has been a great help not only for the checkpoints but for the things that will happen afterwards and down the road. Again, thanks!
Unread 02-08-2005, 11:52 AM

I am having mine done 2/23, but I didn't think to ask about the swelly belly. I am so glad you did, sweat pants are now added to the shopping list. I have alot of swelling now due to the enlarged uterus and fibriods so I am sure I will look just wonderful afterwards How long does it take for the swelling to go down or will I always have a belly? Do ice packs help? I have only healthy foods on my list( fruits, juices, veggies) for my down time to help keep me from eating out of boredom and really packing on the pounds.

This is a great site, amen for all of you.

Danikimm

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register