Did you get a second opinion? - Page 102 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Community - HysterSisters > Monthly Poll (and occasional Contest!)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
View Poll Results: Did you get a second opinion from another surgeon before scheduling your hysterectomy
Yes, I got a second opinion and it helped give me additional options 1,187 20.11%
Yes, I got a second opinion but it didn't really matter in the long run 1,348 22.84%
No, I didn't get a second opinion 3,087 52.30%
I didn't have time to get a second opinion. My hysterectomy was an emergency 280 4.74%
Voters: 5902. You may not vote on this poll

Did you get a second opinion? Did you get a second opinion?

Unread 05-13-2011, 10:22 PM
Re: Did you get a second opinion?

I ended up getting multiple opinions on internal radiation (brachytherapy) after I was unable to tolerate the procedure without meds... when my gyn onc recommended against having the internal rads, told me the procedure would only improve my specific prognosis three (3) percent, and it would make the vaginal side effects from the external radiation worse, I decided it was not worth having.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-14-2011, 09:14 PM

I didn't get a second opinion because for the last 10+ years I have had gyno after gyno tell me that at some point I will need/want a hysterectomy because of my problems of adno and fibroids. We are in the military and as we move I have had to get a new doctor at each new place.
Unread 05-16-2011, 03:03 PM

I didn't get a second opinion, but felt confident that it was the right decision. I read books, articles, talked to doctor and others who had hyst. My issues were very textbook.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-19-2011, 04:00 PM

I didn't get a second opinion because my cycles have been getting worse and I figured if I can't have children why have a cycle. Plus I have other issues that needed to be dealt with and I had met my insurance deductible so I figured what better time. I also needed to do it during the summer due to my husbands job being more stable during the summer than in the winter.
Unread 05-20-2011, 06:30 PM

After 6 previous surgeries and 42 months of Lupron, my doctor suggested a hysterectomy when insurance stopped covering Lupron and Depo Provera just wasn't cutting it. I went to a reproductive endocrinologist (who is apparently a founding board member of the World Endometriosis Foundation), but he was not much help. He basically told me my options, and said that if I can stand being on Depo Provera, then I should do that to avoid having surgery. I have endometriosis, so I'm not convinced that a hysterectomy will cure the problem, but I also know I will not be able to get pregnant (nor would I want to pass my genetic jackpot on to someone I will love). My third opinion was my hematologist because I have Factor V Leiden. She told me that bioidentical hormone options after surgery are no more risky than the depo provera I'm currently on, and that being on depo is "sub-optimal" since it's not really working and it makes me have GI pain. Her recommendation was to go forward with the complete hysterectomy. I also spoke with my urologist about it. So I guess I may have even gotten a fourth opinion.
Unread 05-20-2011, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kparks View Post
I didn't get a second opinion because my cycles have been getting worse and I figured if I can't have children why have a cycle. Plus I have other issues that needed to be dealt with and I had met my insurance deductible so I figured what better time. I also needed to do it during the summer due to my husbands job being more stable during the summer than in the winter.
KParks...there really are so many other things to consider, aren't there? Mine was similar. My insurance is getting more expensive every year, and covering less. I chose to do it this year because I know my coverage will decrease in the future. I had surgery i 2008...probably should have had the hyst then. Surgery was MUCH cheaper then. I chose summer because I'm a school teacher.
Unread 05-20-2011, 11:56 PM
Smile - Did you get a second opinion? Re: Did you get a second opinion?

I had done my research on having a hysterectomy for endometriosis long before I had an abnormal pap and then the biopsy showed high grade precancerous cells. Had a LEEP in March and removed all that we thought was there. Had a lot of problems related to the endo and I actually went to my doctor and asked about a hysterectomy. We weighed the pros and cons and decided that it was an option for me. Had a TVH on May 10 and the preliminary pathology from just my cervix showed CN II that had developed since just having the LEEP in March. My mom is a 25 year survivor of cervial cancer so I am again very confident in my decision to have this done- even if everyone I tell says I am way too young!
Unread 05-22-2011, 01:02 AM

I myself did not get a second opinion. I trust my Dr as I have been seeing him for 13 years and he delivered my son 11 years ago. I had a lot of problems leading up to my hysterectomy. I am only 33 and was trying to get pregnant for many years after my son was born. They kept telling me that I had unexplained infertility. WOW not something you really want to hear at such a young age. I was originally set up for surgery 3/15/11, but a few weeks prior I found out that I was indeed pregnant and with twins. I ended up having a miscarriage on 3/8/11 I was 8 weeks and had no clue because of all the abnormal bleeding. I bled all the way until my new hysterectomy date. I had already known that I had an orange sized hemoragic cyst growing in my right ovary
Unread 06-08-2011, 09:56 AM
Did you get a second opinion?

I was diagnosed with a prolapsed uterus in October I had my uterus lifted in November 2011. I began having the same symptoms and problems here recently I talked to my dr my surgeon and and actual gyn they all agreed my issues with bowel movements and pain should subside one I removed my uterus.
Unread 06-12-2011, 04:19 PM
Smile - Did you get a second opinion? Did you get a second opinion?

I didn't get a second opinion. I have had problems since I first started menstruating. I had my first lap at 16 w/biopsy, lap and dnc at 23, ablation and tubal at 29, and now hysterectomy at 34. After all the other issues I've had over the years, when the dr. said I had a fibroid I was ready for a hysterectomy. My Dr. has a very good reputation at the hospital and came highly recommended. I actually was referred to him by my family dr. whose wife is a patient. I figured if my family dr. Trusted him with his wife's care then I could trust him myself. I usually recommend getting a second opinion before having surgery, but in my case I am just ready to get it over with!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register