Did you get a second opinion? - Page 152 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Community - HysterSisters > Monthly Poll (and occasional Contest!)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
View Poll Results: Did you get a second opinion from another surgeon before scheduling your hysterectomy
Yes, I got a second opinion and it helped give me additional options 1,180 20.15%
Yes, I got a second opinion but it didn't really matter in the long run 1,336 22.81%
No, I didn't get a second opinion 3,062 52.28%
I didn't have time to get a second opinion. My hysterectomy was an emergency 279 4.76%
Voters: 5857. You may not vote on this poll

Did you get a second opinion? Did you get a second opinion?

Unread 09-22-2019, 11:09 AM
Did you get a second opinion?

I went for a second and third opinion. I had fibroids, so I talked to the first doctor that discovered them and another doctor that performed a myomectomy.
I'm so glad I did. Each gave their own perspective on my case and the potential future with having a hysterectomy. They both recommend it and settled my mind about the decision and the details.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-26-2019, 07:48 AM
Re: Did you get a second opinion?

My gynocologist was unsure of why my left ovary was so large. She sent me for ovarian cancer screening, and the results were off enough for her refer me to an oncologist. The onc determinted as far as numbers are concerned, there is not a cancer risk, and now she’s the one who will be doing my hysterectomy.
Unread 10-03-2019, 07:10 AM

Yes I did. Quite a few. Top surgeons in 2 countries. There was no consensus.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-08-2019, 09:15 PM

I have to say that while I have always begged for just a partial hysterectomy my current doctor insisted I get a second opinion. I requested genome testing and was referred to a reputable hospital. Lucky for me some female relatives did the same. Instead of having a partial and coming back for another surgery, and after lengthy conversation of pros and cons, it was best to do a complete Hysterectomy. I feel confident in the decision, just hope my body agrees as well.
Unread 11-19-2019, 04:40 PM

I did get a second opinion because I'm 31 and didn't understand the condition I was diagnosed with (adenomyosis). The second opinion made my hysterectomy more urgent than the first.
Unread 01-16-2020, 12:12 PM

I had a complete hysterectomy taking my uterus, cervix, both ovaries and tubes. I requested it at my annual and the RPN set me for an appointment to have an ultrasound by my doctor and talk to her about it. I had excessive bleeding and cysts on my ovaries. I’m not anemic but I’m a carnivore soooo there’s that. I also take a couple different vitamins.

Anywho. She took one look at the ultrasound and said,”oh ya your eligible”based on how bad the scarring from my csections had gotten. And I was put on the call to schedule list that day.

I did not seek out a second opinion officially because I had faith in my doctor and she gave me the answer I wanted. When I told my psychiatrist, therapist and medical doctor I was having the procedure done they were all for it, believing I’d come out on the other side better and possibly off some meds.

Unread 01-17-2020, 09:59 AM

No, technically I did not.
My OBGYN suggested a Hysterectomy 5 years ago. We decided to try a Novasure Ablation and Tubal Ligation. The Novasure backfired after the 1st year but it took 4 years to figure out the problem.

I had been having like Clockwork every 3 months which was excruciating pain across my abdomen, around my lower back and down the top and inner thighs. 5 Dr's of mine all shrugged their shoulders.

Finally, a little over a year ago I googled my symptoms, which I had been told to never do. The 1st hit that came up was a forum about Novasure issues and someone described the exact same pain. I brought it up to my PCP while I was actively having the issue. He referred me for an Ultrasound but it took a month to get the appointment. By then the pain had passed. However, they did find fluid in my uterus but not enough to cause the type of pain I was in. Then again the pain had passed already.

I went to my OBGYN and presented him with the ultrasound and my thoughts that this was caused by the NovaSure procedure. He did my annual exam and in the process I believe remove scar tissue that was covering the cervix. I was fine with no pain for a year and then it came back. My OBGYN had told me the next time I experienced this pain he wanted me to call him and he would get me in for an ultrasound right away. This time when I went in for the ultrasound I was experiencing pain. They found quite a bit of fluid in my uterus, enough to explain the pain I was having which was emergency room type pain, very reminiscent of back labor. My OBGYN suggested another possible ablasion and at the D&C or a Hysterectomy. He sent me off to his partner who did my NovaSure ablation five years previously. He informed me that not only did the lining of my uterus grow back but the walls grew back very thick which could be an indicator of future cancer. Also it would help with my Adenomyosis pain.

Since both my regular OBGYN and his partner mentioned the Hysterectomy and that it wasn't the first time it was mentioned either I decided to go ahead with it because I was sick of having two surgeries and didn't want to have more down the line.
Unread 07-03-2020, 11:21 AM

I was supposed to have a laparascopic myomectomy, but when the doc got in, because of the adhesions, he had to remove everything. I knew the hysterectomy was a possibility, but I didn't know I'd lose my ovaries too.

So it wasn't really an emergency, but I didn't have the option for a second opinion.
Unread 07-14-2020, 05:33 PM

Yes. Got a second opinion. Didn't feel pressured at all. Both said the same thing. I am post-op day 7.
Unread 07-19-2020, 05:13 PM

Please ladies, and especially if you're 1st opinion doctor seems dismissive or makes you feel uncomfortable, take the time to seek a 2cd opinion. I had a laparoscopy to look for suspected endometriosis in December 2019. I was of the understanding my doctor would be removing any she found. After the surgery she told my husband she found "mild endometriosis" and that I would need to go on Orillissa. It wasn't until the post-OP appointment that I found out she hadn't even removed any endometriosis! I was so appalled I immediately dropped her from my care, did some research and found a new doctor. With her help, I found that I actually have extensive stage 3 endometriosis, that extends to my bladder, ureters and small bowel. She also diagnosed me with Adenomyosis (through sonogram). She was very upfront with me and let me know she didn't feel she was experienced enough to tackle my endo through surgery. I was so impressed with her honesty. She referred me to a reproductive endocrinologist. He has put together a team of surgeons to take care of me. I'm having my Hysterectomy, excision of all endometriosis, bladder and bowel resection Aug 27th. I imagine if I had not advocated for myself that my health would continue to decline and I would still be doubting myself and my pain, thinking I only had "mild" endometriosis. Good luck to all and dont be scared of hurting anyone's feelings! This is your body, your life and happiness at stake.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register