Question for those who had anemia - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Question for those who had anemia Question for those who had anemia

Unread 02-20-2007, 06:35 PM
Question for those who had anemia

I was anemic pre-TAH/RSO w/adhesion removal. My doc had me taking iron supplements 3x per day with fruit juice to try and raise my levels before the surgery. He also stated that if my red blood cell count dropped during surgery that he would transfuse. Not an idea I was fond of, but I was willing to take the risk just to stop the 3.5 months straight of heavy bleeding. I had two surgeries to stop the bleeding, both times they took a tube of my blood for the blood bank just before the operations just in case. This is my second week of recovery and I am still on iron supplements for what I was told will be about two more months to build my count back up to where the doc wants it to be.

I was tired, dizzy, had heart palpatations and could barely make it to the top of a flight of stairs without passing out. Eventually I did pass out and that is when the operations began. Yet, through the grace of God, I have survived and felt better after the hysterectomy than I have in months.

I'm not sure if this will help you or not, but it is worth the pain and effort.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-20-2007, 06:42 PM

Ang....go ahead and have a sniffle or two. Crying can be very healing.

Jean
Unread 02-20-2007, 06:53 PM

dont mean to be such a big baby about all this...its so! very over welling...not like i havnt had surgery before...but for some reason iam freaking out... Iam doing this to have a life ( sex life included!)...not take my life away..and after today having 2nd thoughts ...is this all worth it...
I know for the good of my health it is...but emotionally ...sorry even with bleeding non-stop i still try to hav a half decent sex life even with being single....what man will want me now if all is de-gutted and I cant get arroused..(sp)
any meds can take away the pain from all the healings...what about after all is healed..so confused ...many say will not affect sex life other says different
only one good thing ...no more Aunt Flo forever!...and here I was worried yesterday about mini-periods...lmao...even bough a few months supply of pads an pantie liners...figures...lol...cant find the bill to return them...i wont need them after Mar 9th

Ang
Unread 02-20-2007, 07:04 PM

From what I have read, if you had a good sex life before, you will have a good sex life afterwards. I read that somewhere on the net maybe even here somwhere on hystersisters. I also talked to ladies who had already been through this at work and they assured me it was the best decision of their life. I talked about my post sex life quite frankly with my doc who was very reassuring. So go on, lean on us, talk to your doc, talk to acquaintances you trust, talk to your family.....we are all here for you.
Unread 02-20-2007, 07:10 PM

I was severly anemic so much so that my doctor sent me to a Hematologist/Oncologist to run more tests to make sure it wasn't caused by anything other than my heavy periods. Took iron supplements and got my count up from 6.3 to 8 on day of surgery (norm is around 16). Had my 2 week checkup and my count is 7.8. Dr. said since I haven't eaten much since surgery (lost 18 lbs in 2 weeks), it should rebound on it's own once I start eating normally. I can tell you that I feel 100% better post op. I am fatigued but not nearly as much as before. Have already gone back to work (desk job) part time and other than needing a nap in the afternoon doing ok. I think your doctor is trying to reassure you that your surgery will be fine with the anemia. They will probably have you sign a form to allow a transfusion if one is needed so don't be freaked out when it comes. If you take iron supplements ask if you can start on one a day and work up to the dosage your doctor wants you to be on. They cause constipation and you don't want that post op until your bowels are settled down and working more normally. I was scared of surgery too but hang in there it will be ok!
Unread 02-20-2007, 07:30 PM

I'm also severely anemic with a blood count of 10. I feel for you because being tired all the time is awful. I'm hoping after my hyst on Friday I will get my energy back. Of course it won't happen right away but at least I can have something to look forward to. My doctor put me on iron supplements last week and I had another CBC done today with no change. So he ordered blood just in case it's needed on surgery day.

I pray you feel better soon.

Debra
Unread 02-20-2007, 07:42 PM

I was taking iron supplements 3 xs a day (975 mg) before surgery and initially took them at this dosage for the first week post op. Cut back to 1 a day due to constipation issues post op. Dr. kept me in hospital for 4 days to make sure not too weak to get around on my own. Very glad he did that! Stay as long as you feel you need to because the last thing you want to do is fall down. And Lord knows the anemia makes you lightheaded and dizzy on a good day!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register