Scheduled TAH has anyone else encountered this insurance issue? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

has anyone else encountered this insurance issue? has anyone else encountered this insurance issue?

Unread 07-27-2014, 01:03 AM
Re: has anyone else encountered this insurance issue?

Oh wow! Thanks for posting this thread. I haven't even thought about what my insurance will or won't cover. I've only ever gone to regular appointments. Guess I need to start digging in and getting my info!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-27-2014, 08:15 PM

Luckily I had met pretty much all of my deductible from having a ton of gyno appts and my family doc. BUT I did have to pay 100 up front before she would do the surgery and that was just for my surgeons payment. I will owe the hospital around 4-5 thousand but they was willing to let me make payments. Its funny how some can just go in and pay nothing at all and others have to either cough it up or to heck with them and they can bleed to death. VERY VERY thankful for my insurance.
Unread 07-28-2014, 06:03 AM

In our case, we pay the first $4000 of our medical expenses each year. Our policy runs August 1 - July 31. We met our portion mid-way through the year thanks to our son needing a bunch of PT and my hubby spending two nights in the hospital due to a health scare. I was rescheduled for my TAH on August 12, due to my knee surgery, but one daybit hit me that the deductible would be in play, and had it rescheduled for tomorrow to avoid that huge hit right off the bat.
Can't imagine being told we would have to pay it all up front in order to have this surgery. As if there isn't enough stress in preparation for this life changing event!!!
LoriLiz
Unread 07-28-2014, 06:25 AM

Our deductible is $5000. I had to pay my doctor $1328.84 upfront. The hospital wanted several thousand before they would do my preop. I told them there was no way I could pay it all up front. (I am still making payments on my D&C from last year). They told me the minimum they could accept so I could have my preop was $745.82. This seems to be standard practice now. I had to put it on a credit card.
Unread 07-28-2014, 09:03 AM
has anyone else encountered this insurance issue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriLiz View Post
In our case, we pay the first $4000 of our medical expenses each year. Our policy runs August 1 - July 31. We met our portion mid-way through the year thanks to our son needing a bunch of PT and my hubby spending two nights in the hospital due to a health scare. I was rescheduled for my TAH on August 12, due to my knee surgery, but one daybit hit me that the deductible would be in play, and had it rescheduled for tomorrow to avoid that huge hit right off the bat.
Can't imagine being told we would have to pay it all up front in order to have this surgery. As if there isn't enough stress in preparation for this life changing event!!!
LoriLiz
Wow you are lucky that dawned on you and they were able to reschedule! Good luck tomorrow.
Unread 07-28-2014, 09:22 AM

I had the same problem but was required to by 7,100.00 my out of pocket. However, I spoke with my insurance company and was told not to pay anything because it depends on when the claims come in on who you are going to have to pay. Typically per the insurance company it is the doctor, anesthiagist then hospitals in that order that turn in claims. So, the likely hood of overpaying someone is high. So, when they requested a payment I told them no once they filed the claim and I see what I owe who they would get paid not before then. They said okay and we went about the surgery. Insurance coverage has changed so much they are afraid of no payment however that is no my problem. Like someone said it is like pulling teeth to get money back once overpaid. When they are threatening not to do the surgery that is like harrassement prior to the payment due. Shame on them!
Unread 07-31-2014, 09:59 PM

Ouch some of these out of pockets you dear ladies have, I am fortunate mine isn't as high....eeee u that kind of spending hurts!
Unread 07-31-2014, 10:53 PM

My doctor originally wanted $900 but would do a portion on payment. They wouldn't schedule without the pre-payment. I ended up already meeting my deductible because of ER visits pre-surgery so only had to give them $200 up front. I found out at this meeting I had two doctors and two charges. Of course I asked this board and I guess everyone has two doctors during surgery. I was just surprised when I needed to pay my co pay for doctor #2.

The hospital asked for nothing up front. Thank goodness. My hospital bill was $30k because of a few complications and 4 days admitted.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register