Morphine or alternatives | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Morphine or alternatives Morphine or alternatives

Unread 07-06-2009, 04:07 PM
Morphine or alternatives

I can't help but notice post after post about morphine causing nausea. My friend and SIL both had it in the PCA pump for post-op pain and both said it made them sick until it was removed. I really hate to get sick, almost more than being in pain. Do you think it's crazy to tell my dr. I don't want the morphine pump? I don't want to be overly assertive but I just don't want to wait until I'm one of the ones saying "please unhook me from this".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-06-2009, 04:25 PM
Re: Morphine or alternatives

It's not crazy to tell them that if you don't want it. I didn't use one. I am allergic to so many meds. I was given an epidural for pain and I told them way ahead of time I wanted something for nausea. They can give you something right before you go in. Don't worry about being overly assertive! You're the one having the surgery and you need to have a say in what you want for the pain. Good luck!
Unread 07-06-2009, 04:29 PM

I'm another who can't have morphine, so I think that discussing it with your dr ahead of time is a great idea. My dr gave me meds that kept me from being nauseous from the morphine but then it caused me to itch all over. I think that talking about your concerns is a good idea.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-06-2009, 05:11 PM

I had my pre-admission testing today and told the nurse to note that I am VERY sensitive to a lot of meds and have horrific allergic reactions (itchy palate, throat & tongue swelling). If Morphine makes one itch(it supposedly brings out histamines in the patient) then I think I may have a reaction to it.

The nurse noted Demerol and Diluiad as an alternative by pump. I will make sure I tell the anethesiologist as well before my surgery. I'd rather be safe than sorry.
Unread 07-06-2009, 05:34 PM

I also had an epideral before my LAVH. The anethesiologist recommended it because it reduces the amount of pain medication I would need to take once I woke up. I didn't have pain in the hospital, but did have a terrible itch from the epideral. I would make sure and talk to the anethesiologist as well! Best of luck!
Unread 07-06-2009, 05:52 PM

Definitely talk with the doctor and the anesthesiologist ... morphine and I don't get along and I made sure they noted it on every page of my pre-op paperwork. Plus I wrote a note to give to the friend who is driving me to give to the staff on Wednesday. Better safe than sorry.

~ M
Unread 07-06-2009, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catarina View Post
I can't help but notice post after post about morphine causing nausea. . . . . I just don't want to wait until I'm one of the ones saying "please unhook me from this".
It is not crazy Caterina. I actually felt better overall once they took the morphine pump away. It is not fun vomiting with all those fresh stitches. You tell them. If you feel calmer about the pain management, you will handle whatever pain you have much better.

Jx
Unread 07-06-2009, 08:03 PM

I seem to be the exception. I had the Morphine pump and didn't feel even slightly nauseous. They also gave me morphine pills once the pump was removed and there were no side effects that I noticed.

Point is, morphine does not automatically equal nausea.
Unread 07-07-2009, 07:43 AM

I told my Nursing staff (on admission to the hospital) that I was very sensitive to meds, that I was fearful of nausea, etc..... and I got anti nausea and reflux pills prior to surgery along with an anti-nausea patch that went behind my ear. I was told that would last for 72 hours.

When I got to my room with the pain pump, it was Morphine. I did ok with the one dose that dumped every hour, but I could not use the pump where you press the button when you need it because that was just too much for me. It was a constant state of dizziness for me.

I finally stopped using the pain pump by evening BUT I did keep the one dose going into the IV per hour. I seemed ok with that and it took the edge off.

Best of luck to you!
Unread 07-07-2009, 09:13 AM

When I ended up in the ER a couple yrs ago for a burst ovarian cyst, they administered morphine via IV. I remember the nurse telling me that he was going to push the med VERY slowly because if it goes in too fast, it causes a drunk, woozy feeling which is what makes people sick. The way he did it, I had no problem. I'm betting that is what causes so many problems with the PCA pump. Both my friend and SIL said that they literally pushed the button and then a minute or so later, they threw up.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register