FREAKED about post-op urination | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

FREAKED about post-op urination FREAKED about post-op urination

Unread 08-21-2012, 08:29 PM
FREAKED about post-op urination

Hi everyone,

I'm really concerned about being able to urinate well post-op. I REALLY don't like catheters so I'd like this aspect to go as smoothly as possible!

For those of you on the post-op side (or know someone who is), what have your experiences been (or what have you heard)? What's it like? How long does it take to recover and urinate normally and painlessly? Please help!

Thank you in advance!

Hugs!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-21-2012, 08:44 PM
Re: FREAKED about post-op urination

I was able to pee soon after they took the catheter out. The hospital did want to make sure I was peeing enough before they'd release me.

Once home, I can't say it was painful, more uncomfortable. At first, it would take a while for the stream to start. It was as though my bladder was slow getting the message to "go." By "a while" I mean a few seconds. I just wasn't used to having to wait for the stream to start. The discomfort stopped about a week after surgery. Each day it was slightly less uncomfortable until it felt normal again.

I also noticed my urge to urinate wasn't as strong in that first week. So, I'd go when I thought it was about time to go.

It really was only discomfort. I never felt I needed any pain meds for it, and the discomfort was only when my bladder was emptying.

Wishing you all the best for a smooth surgery!
Unread 08-21-2012, 09:07 PM

Maidenlion,

I too wasn't looking forward to the cath. In hindsight it was a good thing. I didn't need to get up several times during the night to go to the bathroom. The removal the morning after my hyster was uneventful and no problems peeing for me.

It really wasn't the big deal I expected.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-21-2012, 09:20 PM

i hated the cath, and was terrified to pee after it came out, but one of the first things i noticed, was that once i started, i couldn't stop! they had me on a lot of iv fluids, so the whole time i was in the hospital i had to get up to pee at least once an hour (no sleep there!) it hurt the first time, but after that, i was fine- it was more of a chore to get up to go to tthe bathroom than to actually pee!

before my surgery, i had major issues emptying my bladder- i felt like i constantly had to go, but only went a little bit- now that i had my surgery (and i can't wait to hear what exactly my dr foudn!) i don't have that constant urge anymore, and actually feel like i truly empty everything out once i go... i have been suffering from this for so long , that i hadn't realized this wasn't normal! i am only a few days out, but am already seeing some life changing positives to this surgery! GOOD LUCK and lots of hugs!!!!!
Unread 08-21-2012, 10:12 PM

Like others, I'd say it is no big deal at all, and quite a relief to have it for a start!
They put it in while you are under so you don't feel it.
I had fairly major surgery so it would have been really difficult to get up the first night. I could just sleep. Actually, come to think of it, I may have had it 2 days/nights.
When I had my first shower (had a nice big ensuite attached to my single room!) a nurse took it out for me. She gently pulled and it popped out - no discomfort.
From then on, I had no trouble peeing, except that it was hard to really empty my bladder. (It was a bit painful also at the end of a pee, but that was because of the surgery, and I heard a reassuring explanation for that). There is a trick to emptying your bladder fully, but I won't elaborate here as it may not be any problem.

Enough blathering!
Unread 08-21-2012, 10:21 PM

No problems with the catheter. I was under when they put in.
I was awake when nurse took it out, but did not hurt or anything. No problems going to the bathroom, but they said I had to go more before I could leave. I started drinking water like crazy and went well and beyond my quota.
At home I don't always feel like I have to urinate, but I will feel pressure but in a different area and it will be because I have to go. Or I will thank it has been awhile and I will go. That is getting better though.
I wouldn't stress too much about the cath.
Good luck on your surgery-Michelle
Unread 08-22-2012, 12:11 AM

I'm not sure if I had a catheter; if so, it was in and out while I was asleep. My bladder felt like it was one big bruise. I think that's the best way to describe it. I could tell it was getting better a little each day after the first week. I wish you good luck on your surgery.
Unread 08-22-2012, 08:09 AM

I had DaVinci surgery and had a catheter put in after I was asleep in O/R. Once I was awake it felt a little funny if I shifted wrong because I'd feel it tug a bit, but not really bothersome. It was removed the first evening after surgery and with all the fluids I'd been loaded up on, both through the IV and the water I drank, I was able to relax and go without a problem other than some very minor burning the first few times.
Unread 08-22-2012, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLotus View Post
I was able to pee soon after they took the catheter out. The hospital did want to make sure I was peeing enough before they'd release me.

Once home, I can't say it was painful, more uncomfortable. At first, it would take a while for the stream to start. It was as though my bladder was slow getting the message to "go." By "a while" I mean a few seconds. I just wasn't used to having to wait for the stream to start. The discomfort stopped about a week after surgery. Each day it was slightly less uncomfortable until it felt normal again.

It really was only discomfort. I never felt I needed any pain meds for it, and the discomfort was only when my bladder was emptying.

Wishing you all the best for a smooth surgery!
This! I was just trying to describe this in another thread. It's like you could feel the muscles doing their job, something I never paid attention pre-surgery. But, with everything the bladder went through (mine was stitched back into place), it makes sense.

I also was able to go after they took the catheter out. I could feel the urge from the time I woke up until I went on my own.

I'm 9 weeks out today and occasionally still have that feeling when I go to pee - most noticeably yesterday after we had sex for the first time Monday night. Not painful - just part of the healing process.
Unread 08-22-2012, 12:45 PM

As a person who inserts those magical tubes I'm going to tell you the same thing I tell my patients... relax. If you find you are having troubles going then just sit and read or do a puzzle. They can run the water in the sink at a low trickle and sometimes the sound helps a persons body realize what it needs to do. Warm water soaks for the hands also helps. Take your mind off of the task at hand. I can say I have seen more people pass urine successfully than I have seen have troubles with it in my 23 years of nursing. Hope that helps.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register