Vaginal Cuff | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 05-30-2013, 05:26 PM
Vaginal Cuff

Hi all,

I'm a silent reader but after reading a few posts and researching the procedure I will be having (LAVH), I have a few questions. What's the deal with a vaginal cuff? I was told in my introductory post that more than likely, my cervix will be removed. So, after removal is the vaginal cuff created? Is it a longer healing time? etc, etc, etc......

Any info given will be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-30-2013, 06:27 PM
Re: Vaginal Cuff

I have a cuff. I am still healing, but I have not had any pain with having it. I went back to work half time at three weeks. My cuff is not fully healed yet, but should be soon. I'm six weeks out just now. Having a cuff does not shorten the vagina more than 1/4 inch and it can stretch later on once you are comfortable in your "routine" again. I had heavy periods and was not given the option to have a partial hysterectomy (leaving the cervix). I did not want ANY period if I was going rough this.

Good luck with your decision if you have the choice.
Unread 05-30-2013, 06:27 PM

If your cervix is removed, they have to suture that opening up. That makes the cuff, so that the vagina isn't just open. The cuff gives some support to the internal organs to help prevent prolapse, too. Healing time is normally 4-6 weeks for any hysterectomy. I'm 3 weeks out today and feel petty good. Back to doing most things like cooking, laundry, easy housework. I haven't attempted to vacuum yet tho.
Make a list of questions for your doctor and add this one if you don't get the info you are looking for on here.

Best wishes for an easy procedure an easier recovery!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-30-2013, 07:51 PM

beyond_scared_T -

A vaginal cuff is created after they remove the cervix. If you think tube sock, you have a pretty good idea. The vagina does stretch, but you will be restricted from having sex for at least six weeks post-op.

As I understand, the cervix removal can make a longer healing time as there is more that was cut and removed, and that has to be done. I had a TAH BSO, and it took a good 8 weeks before I felt good enough to even attempt basic cleaning. You have to move back into your life VERY SLOWLY. Just listen to your body, and follow ALL of your doctor's instructions.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register