Scheduled TAH Nov. 17th is getting closer & I'm scared | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Nov. 17th is getting closer & I'm scared Nov. 17th is getting closer & I'm scared

Unread 10-30-2009, 01:29 PM
Nov. 17th is getting closer & I'm scared

I'm scheduled for a TAH, with the removal of my ovaries, on 11/17. Boy, are emotions going crazy. At first I was relieved, that finally I might get some relief. Then I got scared. Am I making the right decision? Am I just a wimp? so many things going through my head. I've been reading all of the stories on the Hyster Sister site, and it's been such a help. Thanks to everyone for sharing their experiences and tips. That's been the biggest comfort and help. I'm making a list of things to get at the store for my "castle".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-30-2009, 01:52 PM
Re: Nov. 17th is getting closer & I'm scared

Carrie,
I am right there with you. My dvh is on the 10th on Nov. Only a few more days. I know what you are talking about with the emotions. Mine have been haywire these last few days, but I know that I am making the right decision and I am sure that you are too. Just think, in a little while we will both be pain free!!! YEAH!!!
On your list, I would put colace if you haven't yet. It will help with the bms tremendously.

I will be praying for you!
Ashley
Unread 10-30-2009, 05:11 PM

The weeks preceding surgery were the worst for me too. It was all I could think about! If you have weighed the options and feel comfortable with your decision, then I would say that you are just having the pre-op jitters.

Take this time to relax and do the things that make you happy. I spent my time swimming, reading, praying, writing letters to people I loved and things like that. I wanted to be stronger emotionally and physically so I focused on that.

But, I was scared to death, trust me! Now it's been 11 weeks and I am doing great! I do not regret my TAH and am better off having done it.

Best wishes!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-30-2009, 05:33 PM

I was also very nervous prior to the surgery. I knew I had made the right decision so it was just pre-op jitters. If you are comfortable with the decision you made, then I would try to do relaxation techniques. I would stop myself from thinking of negative things when they popped into my brain(and boy did they ever pop into my brain!). I would force myself to think of a pleasant thing for several minutes until the thoughts were gone. It really helped me to be able to relax more. I also kept very busy and used my workouts as a way to de-stress. I think that most of us havel experienced this so I think this is just part of the normal thing.
Unread 10-31-2009, 10:10 AM

Mine is scheduled for 11/19 and I know what you mean. At first I was at peace with the decision and as it gets closer I wonder if I made the right decision. But....my Aunt Flo is helping me feel like I made the right choice. I just got done with a 10 day period (which started on our wedding anniversary weekend when we traveled to Des Moines to see Wicked - so much for a romantic evening in the beautiful hotel) and I had one week off and now I'm bleeding again!.... I don't want to continue like this for the next couple years until I go into real menopause...So I am ready to be done with this. It's the recovery that I'm worried about. I am not used to not being able to do things - and I'm not looking forward to pain, but it's in God's hands and I know he won't give me more than I can bear with his help. I'll be looking forward to hearing about your post op - and I'll post as well...
Unread 11-01-2009, 08:01 AM

Well, today is day 4 with no bleeding. I feel like I have pressure on my right side, and it has a stabbing pain that just doesn't go away. My lower back is killing me! I've been cleaning like a freak. Mopped and waxed my hardwood floors, wiped the baseboards down, rearranged my living room, bedroom. Today is kitchen cleaning day and my 14 yr. old son's room. Yikes! Going to Wal-Mart today to get my extra big grannie panties, and other things for my castle. I've got a list going. I'm so grateful for all of your posts. I have scheduled another appt. with my doctor on Wednesday, so I can ask him the 10,000 questions I have since I made my decision and set the surgery date. I was diagnosed with endo at least 8 years ago, by my ob/gyn who was trying to help my husband and I get pregnant. Ended up going on lots of fertility pills, and actually got pregnant, only to lose twins when I was 4 months along. That was 8 yrs. ago. Since then, no birth control and no more pregnancies, and nothing but problems. Dr. drilled my ovaries and removed lots of endo. Said I was a hot mess down there back then. I think I've been in denial since. That doc left town, and now I have a new one. I don't have the "personal" relationship that I'd like with him, but I do feel very comfortable with him. And I do trust him. Stupid things go through my head now, like my uncle died of colon cancer, and I think, Oh My God, could I have cancer? And then I think, stop it, you are driving yourself crazy! I'm actually writing down now, my personal wishes in case something happens to me during surgery. If things don't go well, or if they find something else that's bad. Why am I thinking so negative!!??!! My husband has been such a flipping saint, and my son is such a mama's boy and so supportive. I've got a great family and a support network here and at home. I need to trust in Him, and try to find peace with everything, but it is so hard. God only gives us what he knows we can handle, and I must be able to handle a whole lot, because I feel like I've got the world on my shoulders. Give me strength. (wow, what a bummer of a post. I feel like Debbie downer!! LOL!!).
Unread 11-01-2009, 08:14 AM

I don't think your post was down sounding at all. I can totally relate. I have a list in my head, but I'd better start writing it down or I'll drive myself crazy.. My surgery is scheduled for 11/19 and I'm starting to count in my head - 20 more days, 19 more days...I'm hoping/planning on doing all my cleaning and cooking the weekend before the 19th because I know if I did a big cleaning job now it would just look dirty to me by the 19th...We have two big dogs so it's a constant battle around here to keep things neat..We'll have to compare notes on our post op recovery -
Unread 11-01-2009, 08:29 AM

I understand exactly what you are talking about. I am 12 days out of surgery and I dont know why I was so freaked out now. I couldnt eat the day before my surgery from my nerves then I almost threw up the day of it from nerves. But, honestly it was not half as bad as I expected. I had a TVH and all I have used for pain is ice packs and advil. The worst of the recovery for me so far has been that I have no energy back but I was told that would happen so I am not suprised. Also buy yourself some stool softner and apple juice you do not want to get constipated.
Unread 11-01-2009, 08:42 AM

My day is Friday the 6th. and I to am scared. I believe we all are and have put my trust in God. I will be 60 in December and will be having a total. Keep busy and just remember it will pass.
Good luck and will post when I get back.

Thanks for your site and will continue to let everyone know about all the love and support HysterSisters has given me.

Thank you.
Carol
Unread 11-01-2009, 08:47 AM

Here's the things on my list so far:

Peppermints & gum (heard it helps a ton after surgery)
lemon drops
gas x (don't want to feel bad if I don't have to)
colace (stool softner)
summers eve wipes (heard it helps to feel fresh)
baby wipes (for my body if I need a cool and clean pick me up)
headbands for this crazy hair
tucks pads (putting them in the fridge & using in case I need them)
sports bottle with a flip top
big undies
ear plugs
milk of magnesia
mac & cheese
frozzen waffles (whole grain)
chicken noodle soup
applesauce
new slippers
a few new night shirts
new lightweight robe or cover up
big or comfy sweatpants or sleep pants
thank you cards or notes

things I have:
pads
makeup remover cloths
lotion
travel size deodorant
hairbrush
travel size shampoo & conditioner
travel size toothpaste & toothbrush
tummy pillow (small - bought it online at amazon.com)
backscratcher
fanny pack
sleep mask
ear plugs
simply sleep tylenol - if the dr. will let me take it after my surgery
circle the word books
bottled water
pudding
lip balm
cran-grape, cran-apple juice

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register