Death During Op | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Death During Op Death During Op

Unread 12-27-2005, 09:37 AM
Death During Op

I Have Frightened Myself So Much, I Googled "death With Hysterectomy" And It Has Frightened The Life Out Of Me It Is My Op 09-01 And I Am So Scared I Just Cant Calm Myslef Down Does Anyone Know Of Anyone Who Did Die During Or After A Hysterectomy Or Is It Very Rare.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-27-2005, 10:05 AM
Death During Op

It is very rare to die from this surgery. I am sorry you are so scared. I think most of us have those thoughts of dying during this surgery. I even wrote good bye letters. Just think of things this way, you have much more of a chance dying in a car crash but you don't freak out every time you get in the car (I hope you don't). I am sending you a and I hope it helps.
Unread 12-27-2005, 10:10 AM
Death During Op

What A Comfort Can I Ask Did You Pile The Weight On And Did You Suffer With Depression Thanks In Advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-27-2005, 10:15 AM
Death During Op

Hi Djwith --

I'm sorry you scared yourself so badly!! Probably NOT a good idea to google your worst fear first, huh?

You might want to read some of the pre-op message boards and articles on this site so that you have more balanced info. And like everyone else says, get a second opinion. Talk to your doctor. The things that would be important to take into account with any major surgery would be things like, are you in good health? are there any other choices for the symptoms you have? what would the costs/benefits be to having the surgery? what are your own personal health risk factors?

Like most of the wise women have said on this site, only YOU can make your own health decisions with the help of your doctors. Major surgery always has risks. Even though it was an "elective" (HAH!) surgery for me, my doctor said I was a good candidate due to my general good health, age, etc. And it sure beat jumping off a bridge or something because I couldn't take the migraines anymore. I'm very happy I decided to go ahead, even though I was scared.

Try to start with the "helpful" information first, since you're already scared, okay? And remember, you can always change your mind. Take a lot of deep, cleansing breaths.

Unread 12-27-2005, 10:18 AM
Death During Op

They watch you like a hawk during surgery! I asked my Dr about the same thing when "Death" was listed under possible side effects. He also gave me the car/plane analogy. If the chances of death were not so small, would there be that many people posting here? Hysterectomies are a routine procedure. No telling how many your doctor has performed.

Watch the weight! It can make recovery worse. Im not telling you to crash diet or anything, just dont pile it on over the next couple of weeks.
Unread 12-27-2005, 10:20 AM
Death During Op

Quote:
Originally Posted by djwith
What A Comfort Can I Ask Did You Pile The Weight On And Did You Suffer With Depression Thanks In Advance

Nope, I gained no weight. I actually lost a couple of pounds because I wasn't stuck in bed and I could do stuff. I was weepy for a month or 2 after my surgery while my ovaries were waking up, but now I feel fantastic. I did suffer from depresssion before my surgery. I feel 100% better physically and mentally now.
I hope you feel better soon!!!
Unread 12-27-2005, 10:27 AM
Death During Op

Oh, you meant after surgery, Ok, Im a dork.
Unread 12-27-2005, 10:28 AM
agree with other postings

djwith:

I am very sorry you feel so scared. This is a scary thing...and there are risks to every surgery. Like tanner413 and shelly7200 said, talk to your doc about your health issues that increase the risks.

I too have chronic hormonal migraines. Plus endo. Plus a nasty ovarian cyst that causes me too much pain. I went through the ups and downs from this pain and crazy mood swings, ate far too much ice cream to maintain a decent figure, and now I'm two days from surgery, 50 pounds overweight, and looking forward to a new beginning. I can't tell you all the times I just wanted to give up along this journey...and I am so glad that I didn't. And grateful that I have a wonderful gyn who is a tedious, careful surgeon. I trust him completely... and at my pre-op last week I met the anesthesiologist...who is a caring and good doc too. Don't forget that they are the ones who monitor you very closely to ensure that you are OK during surgery. I feel like I will be in the best hands possible at both ends... lol...

When I first searched for information about hysters, I stumbled across the websites that talk about how awful hyster is...and it took me exactly two minutes, 37 seconds to say - no way am I reading any more of this!! - and then I found this site. Thank God for the perspective of these sisters. Yes, there is good and bad posted here...but it's all honest...and very much balanced. I haven't worried too much since. I just check into this site several times a week, laugh, snort, and wipe away tears at times. The women here have helped me so much in getting prepared for this surgery... not just physically, but mentally and emotionally.

Hang tight...keep reading on THIS site...and talk to your doctor. You still have time to get information from him/her and make the best informed decision you can.

All the best to you...

blueeyedartist
Unread 12-27-2005, 12:56 PM
Death During Op

Relax sweetie, everything will be fine, think of it this way, you'll sleep so soundly (and it feels good to rest without pain) wake up all refreshed and demanding that you are "hungry" so give me some
food!!!! (laugh) I did anyways, I was hungry since they make you "fast" before surgery. You'll be just fine ~ and before you know it you'll be outside enjoying LIFE again ~ Positive thoughts headed your way!
God Bless
Ronda
Unread 12-27-2005, 03:32 PM
Death During Op

Quote:
Originally Posted by djwith
I Have Frightened Myself So Much, I Googled "death With Hysterectomy" And It Has Frightened The Life Out Of Me It Is My Op 09-01 And I Am So Scared I Just Cant Calm Myslef Down Does Anyone Know Of Anyone Who Did Die During Or After A Hysterectomy Or Is It Very Rare.
Don't look up stuff like that! You're gonna make yourself "crazy" with worry!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register