Upcoming Full hysterectomy on Monday 7/28 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming Full hysterectomy on Monday 7/28 Upcoming Full hysterectomy on Monday 7/28

Unread 07-24-2014, 12:32 PM
Upcoming Full hysterectomy on Monday 7/28

Hello
My name is Crista, I am a 28 year old mom of 3, 2 girls and a boy ages 10,5,&3

After a year of pain and no answers I went to see my gyn (have had pre cancerous cells on my cervix removed)
And finally got the answer of endometrial hyperplasia,
Since my experience with bcontrol a and hormones has been bad, history of precancerous cells on cervix, and family history of female related cancers my gyn suggested I go ahead and get a hysterectomy ..
So here I am 28 years old & 3 weeks after finding out what has been causing pain
And in a few days I will be having surgery
Wow that went quick
Can't say I'm sad, I don't want people to feel sorry for me, I'm happy to be "dodging" the cancer bullet so to speak, no more painful irregular periods, no more unexplained pain in my abdomen. I'm married and we both agree we do not want anymore children .
I'm going into this with more of a "bring it on" Kind of attitude
More afraid of the surgery itself than what they are taking or recovery time
The last surgery I had was a leep procedure they put me under for, same day out patient and I ended up with a 3 day migraine, over did it on week 2 and tried to buck hay from a trailer (farm girl)
Cause I felt fine, started hemoraging and had to go back in (don't worry lesson learned, take it easy)
I have a fear of being put under and having no control during!!!!
A fear of "what if I don't wake back up"
I know crazy right
It's just a hysterectomy , millions of women get this done on an every day basis And come out fine right?!?!?!

That's my biggest fear though. So I have done a lot of hanging out with my kiddos, husband and sisters because I'm that "just in case" type of person.

I'm getting a little more nervous the closer it gets but it's mostly
Am I gonna physically feel diff after surgery??? I don't mean recovery pain
I mean, am I gonna actually feel that this organ is now gone???
Am I gonna bleed after surgery??
I know I know all things doctors can answer but I'm more of a hear it from others point of view
So, I'm getting the davinci done
Any advice?? Suggestions??? Any stories welcome I didn't feel any pain after my leep procedure (besides the migraine) so any insight on that would be wonderful
Hope to hear from you thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-24-2014, 12:44 PM
Re: Full hysterectomy on Monday

I had a lavh 4 weeks ago. I must say it is not all what people say it is. I had pain for the first week that's it!! I did have a light tinged blood discharge. Get ready for that because it is still with me....lol.... I do feel a little different as my body is readjusting to everything thing ... My suggestion to you is you will feel down and cry for no reason don't freak out it is your body healing... Also even if you feel great please take it easy .... I started to feel great and then I went shopping and dinner and within 4 hours I was hurting so bad that I thought I did something wrong.... Good luck to you! Stay positive and don't fall into all the reading of what ifs. It will drive you nuts
Unread 07-24-2014, 12:51 PM

I was also more concerned about the anesthesia than anything else. This was the first surgery that I had had, the first time in the hospital, but everyone was so nice and so reassuring. I remember being wheeled to the OR, I remember thinking that it didn't look like on tv, and that was it until I woke up to someone asking if I minded going on the maternity floor. Once I got to my room I was alert and the only thing they gave me for the pain was tylenol and NSAID thru the iv. Everything went smoothly, I felt no pain, went home the next day and the day after that was back to somewhat normal, going slowly, but walking around, cooking dinner, etc. I had my 6 week post of last week and everything looks great and I am cleared for everything except intercourse (a couple more weeks for that) I do not really feel different, other than I am now without all the problems my enlarged uterus and fibroids were causing. I had very light spotting for 1 day and then it stopped completely and hasn't come back. My advice is don't read the scary stories here, they are exceptions that don't happen to most people, follow your drs instructions for what you can/can't do after the surgery, if you want to do something and aren't sure if you should, ask your dr, don't just follow what you read here because everyone is different and all of the drs are different. Mine happened to be pretty lenient about restrictions, with the end result that I followed the ones she did give me to the T. Also getting up and moving around as soon as you can and as much as you can tolerate can really help the healing. I hope you have a smooth procedure and an easy recovery!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-24-2014, 01:37 PM

I'm two days out from a tvh. As soon as I got to my room I asked for the catheter to be removed. I had talked to my Dr at pre op about having it out as soon as I was awake enough to get up. The nurses had to call him to get the ok. I had to pee had been telling them that for two hours in recovery. I guess the cath was kinked and wasn't emptying all the way. I put on my own pajamas and was up and down every few minutes. Didn't really sleep that first night. Pain was well managed. I went home the next morning. I'm doing well resting when I need to eating what I want. Pain isn't much more then the period cramps I had before surgery. Best of luck to you. I went into to surgery on my period. I had minimal spotting in recovery. By that evening I had light pink on the tissue when I wiped. Nothing since.
Unread 07-24-2014, 06:58 PM

Am I gonna physically feel diff after surgery??? I don't mean recovery pain ....... I don't physically feel different, my hysterectomy was July 21
I mean, am I gonna actually feel that this organ is now gone???...... well, not empty, more relieved after being in so much pain all the time, the former pain is GONE and there is just minimal twinges 3 days post op
Am I gonna bleed after surgery??......... I only bled the first day home and very lightly , I had a TLH
I know I know all things doctors can answer but I'm more of a hear it from others point of view
So, I'm getting the davinci done
Any advice?? Suggestions??? Any stories welcome I didn't feel any pain after my leep procedure (besides the migraine) so any insight on that would be wonderful ........ The pain wasn't bad. They kept me pretty doped up in the hospital and I haven't taken the narcotic pain killers since I came home, just the 800 mg Ibuprofen and 1000 mg tylenol both 3x daily for 2 days. Today I haven't had pain meds since 8 am and here I am at 8 pm feeling fine
Hope to hear from you thank you
Unread 07-24-2014, 07:49 PM

Hi Cristaeverly -

All of your emotions and fears are very normal. This is a tough surgery to face. Fear of not waking up is also normal. Know that the doctors and nurses will take very good care of you during surgery. They will watch over you and they will see you through this.

Regarding if you will feel physically different.... some people say the do and some say they do not. It just depends on the individual. You are also keeping your ovaries, which I think really helps.

Regarding bleeding after surgery.... In general, you will not bleed that much (if at all) after surgery. Since you are having your cervix removed, you will not have mini periods. Sometimes there is some post-op bleeding after surgery, but that is usually minor - much like light spotting.

For advice....
Get meals in the freezer that you can just pop in the microwave
Get loose fitting clothes
Prepare a recovery corner with blankets and pillows
Get some favorite DVDs
Follow all your doctors orders
Rest, rest, rest, and rest
Do your walks :walk

You will also need help with cooking, cleaning, dishes, laundry, shopping, driving, and farm for several weeks, as well as your little ones. Here is an article with more information:
Preparing for Hysterectomy Recovery | What Will I Need?.

Above all, know that you are not alone and that we are here to help and support you.

Unread 07-25-2014, 06:10 AM
Upcoming Full hysterectomy on Monday 7/28

Hey girl,

I too have mine on Monday! I'm 24, divorced, and have no children. I also have the same problem you do with my cervix as well as very severe endro.

What's been helping me is drowning myslef in research about the procedure itsself and staying really busy. I've been under numerous times so I don't worry about that. What helped me with the "If something goes wrong" worries was the crazy high statistics of people that come out of anesthesia.

Bring any worries up to your dr too! S/he will be able to help eliminate them!

Also know that there is a huge awesome support group at your fingertips!!! They have helped me more than anything! We aren't alone!

Good luck!

Alicia
Unread 07-25-2014, 01:19 PM
Re: Upcoming Full hysterectomy on Monday 7/28

I had my DaVinci on July 21 and worried about it up to the point of surgery. To my surprise all has gone well. I had no spotting some discomfort but no pain. The only pain was from nerve in my leg which has since subsided. Everyone heals differently and at different rates. Do not read the post op threads they can freak you out. But you will be fine the pre is worse than the post op. Good luck prayers your way.
Unread 07-25-2014, 04:42 PM
Re: Upcoming Full hysterectomy on Monday 7/28

Hey girl! Mines on Monday too.. I am having all these same worries. This site has helped so much.. a very sweet sister told me to read positive post op threads and so many of those have really eased a lot of my fears. I hope everything goes wonderfully for you! Sending you hugs!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register