Back from the doctor - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Back from the doctor Back from the doctor

Unread 03-20-2007, 12:51 PM
Back from the doctor

Sounds like a plan!

I hope that you find out some answers soon and start to feel better.
q
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-20-2007, 02:28 PM
Back from the doctor

Love2Quilt,

I guess I shouldn't be complaining considering all that you have gone through and all that you will go through. I have had a colonoscopy. They don't hurt. The hardest part is the prep. You have to drink this stuff the day before, but I'm sure you know about that. I had to have one because I had an infection called C. Diff that I couldn't get rid of even though I was on 3 different antibiotics. It took six months to clear up and get my strength back.

The waiting and watching game is awful. My original surgery was scheduled for April 6, then got changed to the 20th, then the 19th. Now I'm waiting to hear from the dr. what the real date will be, the 17th or the 19th of April.

I'll be thinking of you and hoping you don't have OvCa. I have a mass in my uterus and the drs. all thought it was cancer until they did an ultrasound. Still, I'll feel better when it's out and they know for sure. They say it's about 3.9cm, but I don't know what that is in inches. Only know that it's too big for a vaginal surgery or a lap. My ovaries and cervix are coming out too.

I'll be praying things are fine for you and that you can have a laparosc. surgery. 8 surgeries. Wow, that must be a lot of scar tissue. Do you have to do a bowel prep? They told me I didn't. Hope they are right.

I like the idea of doing the quilting squares. That is really neat. I'm going to look through my stash and see what pretty fabric I can find. The last quilt I made, I made for my brother. After all 3 layers were put together and pinned, I tacked it together using my sewing machine. It was all squares, checkerboard, so I had to sew around each square. Took me 5 months but I finally finished it. My bro is a musician, so the material had musical notes all over it. I didn't go by a pattern for that. The backing was a beautiful red fabric with notes on it. The squares were white material with black notes and black material with white notes.

Robin
Luvs2quilt
Unread 03-20-2007, 02:37 PM
Back from the doctor

Ditto from me to for your waiting and wondering as well. I've had colon and endoscopies before. I dread that Phospho soda. I'm sure I'll have to down it yet again before my surgery -- no doubt.

Your quilt sounds lovely. You should post a picture in the gallery for all the "Q" sisters to ooh and ahh over
Unread 03-20-2007, 03:56 PM
Back from the doctor

Love2quilt,

I remember only too well how "wonderful" that phospho soda tastes like. I thought it was going to come back up last time. I had to drink two 1.5oz bottles. My brother says if you put it in the fridge and get it really cold, it tastes better. He has to drink that stuff quite often because he had a kidney out due to cancer and he needs to have frequent re-checks.

I'll have to check out the gallery. I don't think I've been there before.

Robin
Unread 03-20-2007, 04:02 PM
Back from the doctor

I have to drink two bottles of it, too. I don't drink soda often, so figured that guzzling a liter of soda afterwards probably isn't a good idea. I have had two preps since Sept, but can't remember if I had this kind. I thought that I did and mixed it with something, then drank apple juice in between.

The office told me to have a bottle, then 1 liter of gatorade, then wait and drink the other bottle and then down another liter of gatorade.

How are you guys going to handle it?
q
Unread 03-20-2007, 04:19 PM
Back from the doctor

I'll sing as I'm guzzling, "Two bottles of Phospho Soda on the wall, two bottles of Phospho Soda. You take one down, gag it down. One bottle of Phosphos Soda on the wall. One bottle of Phospho Soda on the wall . . . . . . ." better stock up on the T.P. and Cottonelle!
Unread 03-20-2007, 04:51 PM
Back from the doctor

quilterperson and Love2quilt,

I think you both should go with Cottonelle. It's a lot softer. When I had my colonoscopy, I drank one small 1.5oz bottle in the morning. The 2nd bottle had to be taken 7 hours apart. Oh my gosh, I thought I was going to die. I had never in my life drank something so horrific. I know I had heard stories about how awful it tasted, but had never actually tasted it until then. Thought I was going to puke right there. And with a colonoscopy you can't mix the Phospho crap with anything red or purple. I tried putting ginger ale in it. Nothing hid the taste. So I spent the rest of the afternoon on the throne.
Then I had to take the second dose around 7pm, something like that. I knew the only way I was going to get it down was just to guzzle it straight. So I did. It was the most horrid experience of my life. Then I was on the throne for maybe a few hours. I had been sick before this so I didn't have much in my stomach to clean out anyway. As for my prep for my hysterectomy, they told me that I didn't need any bowel prep. I thanked God right then and there. I know they have pills that do the same thing, but you have to take 30 of them within an 8 hour period. And then there is that gallon of "Go Lightly." I have never tried that stuff and I hope I never have to. I had a nasty bacterial infection in my colon called C. Diff and the GI dr. had to see if there was any infection remaining. Thank goodness there wasn't because it took me a good 6 months to start to feel better and 3 antibiotics.

Love2quilt,

I love the song you came up with. Really clever. I'd love to know who invented that crap. Probably a man. Though they have to take it as well when they go for certain procedures.

My Gi dr. told me that I didn't need another colonoscopy until I was 50 unless somethng happens. I pray that it don't. What caused the C. Diff in the first place was being put on two very strong antibiotics for a dog bite. C. Diff is different than colitis. It's a nasty bacterial infection in your colon that is extremely hard to get rid of. I was told by one dr. that hospitals and nursing homes are full of C. Diff, and to always wash your hands. There really isn't any way of preventing it. Once you get it you need to take very strong antibiotics to get rid of it and they don't always work.

I'm hoping by the time I have my next colonoscopy that they come out with something different than Phospho Soda. After I drank that, I could taste it in my mouth for at least 2 weeks afterwards.

Robin

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register