Scheduled TAH Worried about recovery and need tips for when come home | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Worried about recovery and need tips for when come home Worried about recovery and need tips for when come home

Unread 04-14-2013, 01:42 PM
Worried about recovery and need tips for when come home

Hi , I was just informed on Friday that I have uterine cancer doc said we won't know the extent until pathology is complete. So I'm trying not to worry about that. my surgery is scheduled for next Tuesday , I have two teenagers with busy schedules (school and work) and a husband that is clueless and pretty much wants to remain that way..so I need some help with preparing for recovery at home I am going to Prepare some meals for the freezer and clean the house as best as I can ! Doctors orders to stay off my feet until surgery because of all of the bleeding..had to stop birth control due to cancer diagnosis..sorry for the venting but I feel like the recovery is much scarier than the surgery with very little support at home..any suggestions ? I'm so glad I found the sisters thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-14-2013, 02:14 PM
Re: Worried about recovery and need tips for when come home

I'm sorry that you don't have the support that you need at home. I know it would take some of the pressure off if you did. My twenty something kids will be with me but neither can cook. So I plan to do just as you are and make some meals ahead of time. I'm going to clean the house from top to bottom and let the chips fall where they may.

Necessity is the mother of invention... The hubby and kids will figure it out when the support they are so used to is not there. You concentrate on healing and they will learn just how wonderful you are for keeping the house running so well.

Happy Healing!!
Unread 04-14-2013, 02:47 PM

If your kids are teenagers, they can really do just about anything with supervision. Perhaps they can chip in a bit. The Mr hystersysters site may help them understand what you are going through. It will be a learning experience and help them understand better if they are part of the planning for your recovery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-14-2013, 04:12 PM

The more I think about it, the more I get angry. My DH has been wonderful - almost to the point of trying too hard. He doesn't understand, and I don't expect him to. But he helps and is willing to do anything I need or ask.

You have a right to be taken care of. Cancer is not just some little thing. Feel free to get angry. What would they do if you were gone?
Unread 04-14-2013, 04:46 PM

As the others sisters have said, your family can pitch in if they want to eat and have clean clothes. You must NOT for one single second feel
guilty about following doctors orders to rest.
Even if they whine as teenagers love drama, they will be fine. You on the other hand have one chance to heal correctly! You must take care of yourself first which I hear in your thread goes against your nature. Your future well being depends on you taking proper care of yourself. Once your family sees whining and guilt isn't working they will figure it out to chip in.
We all stand behind you and wish you well.
Hugs and prayers.
Unread 04-14-2013, 07:51 PM

Hi honey, praying that everything goes well with ur surgery. Tips that I can offer to u when u get home is rest. When u start feeling a little better ur body will let u know if u are overdoing it. Listen to it, it's something I'm learning the hard way. Lots of Love!
Unread 04-14-2013, 10:12 PM
Worried about recovery and need tips for when come home

This...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mj69catz View Post
The more I think about it, the more I get angry. My DH has been wonderful - almost to the point of trying too hard. He doesn't understand, and I don't expect him to. But he helps and is willing to do anything I need or ask.

You have a right to be taken care of. Cancer is not just some little thing. Feel free to get angry. What would they do if you were gone?

Well said.
Unread 04-15-2013, 11:02 AM

Put the phone numbers for pizza places - and other restaurants that deliver - on the fridge. If friends ask what they can do to help, have them drop off a meal once a week. Encourage the kids to have sleepovers at their friends while you recover. Once you are home, ignore dirty house and piles of laundry - THE FOCUS MUST BE ON YOU...your healing is everyone's top priority. It will be difficult to take off the superwoman cape, but you have to. Submit and be still, let go and heal. All will be well!
Unread 04-15-2013, 01:00 PM

I thought for sure I"d not want anyone to take care of me, but I've been enjoying these few days post op immensely. It kinda feels great to be all, "Can you get'' 'could you please do' 'i need this' 'can you take this down' 'could you run over and get' 'if it's not too much trouble, please' 'can you pick this up' etc etc.

I kinda like being treated like a princess. I'll be happy to get my independence back but for now, it's a nice break. NO way i could do any of that on my own anyway. I'm terrified to harm myself by doing too much. Aside from walking here and there, I'm in bed relaxing and online.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register