Scheduled LAVH Oct 27th hysterectomy scheduled and naturally nervous (also have fibromyalgia, asthma and allergies - anyone else?) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Oct 27th hysterectomy scheduled and naturally nervous (also have fibromyalgia, asthma and allergies - anyone else?) Oct 27th hysterectomy scheduled and naturally nervous (also have fibromyalgia, asthma and allergies - anyone else?)

Unread 10-19-2020, 05:36 PM
Oct 27th hysterectomy scheduled and naturally nervous (also have fibromyalgia, asthma and allergies - anyone else?)

Hello everyone!

Newbie here going in for surgery first thing on the 27th of October.. super nervous but have been bleeding all year (through the progesterone even), had 2 blood transfusions since February, excruciating cramps, clots, and adenomyosis with intramuscular fibroids. Whew! A rough year.. to say the least. My ovaries are healthy so I get to keep them thankfully. I go for pre op testing this Friday and mentally preparing for next Tuesday (surgery).

Anyone else here with fibromyalgia? Asthma/allergies? I used to be pain tolerant but now I’m like a baby and hoping I have really good pain control afterwards.

So happy to have support and help to become support for those who need it after I’m on the other side of this. The unknown is so scary. Benadryl is my friend right now for relaxation.

Thanks for listening,
Kara
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-19-2020, 07:21 PM
Re: Oct 27th surgery scheduled and naturally nervous ( also have fibromyalgia, asthma and allergies - anyone else?)

Hi Belladreams to HysterSisters!

I am sorry you are going through all of this, but I am so glad you found this site. All of your feelings, fears, emotions and anxieties are completely normal.

I do not have fibromyalgia or asthma, but I do have allergies. My allergies are mostly hay fever-type allergies, and I take Allegra for them. Talk to your doctor about the medications you are taking for any and all of your medical conditions, as well as what you are taking in general - do not leave anything out. These may become restricted, as they can be problematic during surgery. Here are articles that may provide information on your health issues and medications:
Fibromyalgia and Hysterectomy
Medications, Vitamins, and Supplements before Hysterectomy

Pain after surgery is different for everyone. Some women experience little or no pain, while others experience high levels of pain, and everywhere in between. When you wake up from surgery, they will ask you how much pain you are in. You tell them, and they will give you pain meds to match:
Communicating Pain after Hysterectomy
Pain Management after Hysterectomy

I had TAH BSO (total abdominal hysterectomy with both tubes and ovaries removed) and I had moderately high levels of pain. For the first 24 hours, I used a morphine pump delivered through my epidural tubing. After that, I used oral narcotics alternating with Motrin for the next four days. Then I was on Motrin only for two more weeks. My pain levels were tolerable to controlled.

Just know that you are not alone in any of this. We will be by your side throughout this process.

Unread 10-20-2020, 06:57 PM
Oct 27th hysterectomy scheduled and naturally nervous (also have fibromyalgia, asthma and allergies - anyone else?)

Hi Marestail,

Thanks so much for the warm welcome with information and the link for fibromyalgia support. With the pain level meds to match I might not be so terrified. Pain pump would definitely make high levels of pain more manageable. Thanks for explaining that in detail along with the time frame for other oral pain meds. So ready to be on the other side of this. I go in for preop on Friday so I will discuss meds for asthma and everything in full detail when I speak to my surgeon. Hopefully everything will run smooth (fingers crossed).

Have a great night!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-20-2020, 07:45 PM
Re: Oct 27th hysterectomy scheduled and naturally nervous (also have fibromyalgia, asthma and allergies - anyone else?)

Hi Belladreams -

I hope your pre-op goes well. Do talk about pain medications with your doctor as well, and any concern you may have with pain management, especially given your fibromyalgia. Make a list of questions on a pad of paper and write down answers and information. Also, bring a friend or family member to the meeting with you. A second set of ears is very helpful. I brought my DH and between the two of us we heard everything.

Here are articles that may provide information for you on your pre-op meeting.
Making the Most of Your Pre-op Appointments for Hysterectomy
Questions for Your Pre-Op Hysterectomy Appointment

Your surgery date will be here before you know it.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register