Upcoming hysterectomy 8/14: Seeking advice - ideas on how I can care for my animals after surgery | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming hysterectomy 8/14: Seeking advice -  ideas on how I can care for my animals after surgery Upcoming hysterectomy 8/14: Seeking advice - ideas on how I can care for my animals after surgery

Unread 07-23-2020, 07:14 AM
Upcoming hysterectomy 8/14: Seeking advice - ideas on how I can care for my animals after surgery

I am having a Davinci robot with vaginal assist on the 14th. My fiance can only be with me the day of and day after, after that it will be me and my 11 year old son. I have 2 kitties, chickens and a German Shepherd dog. I am wanting to see if anyone has ideas on how I can care for my animals after surgery and my help leaves, because my son has issues with certain smells there's only so much he can do. Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-23-2020, 09:49 AM
Re: Upcoming hysterectomy 8/14: Seeking advice - ideas on how I can care for my animals after surgery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lissa06 View Post
I am having a Davinci robot with vaginal assist on the 14th. My fiance can only be with me the day of and day after, after that it will be me and my 11 year old son. I have 2 kitties, chickens and a German Shepherd dog. I am wanting to see if anyone has ideas on how I can care for my animals after surgery and my help leaves, because my son has issues with certain smells there's only so much he can do. Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated!
I would pre-prepare everything I could possibly think of. Like putting the animals food into zip lock bags up on a counter where you can reach them without any bending or stretching - and having 5-8 days worth predone so all you have to do is dump the food out of the bag.

It would also be helpful for you to do some freezer meals so you don't have to cook anything other than to let it defrost and warm in the oven. You could do cereal for breakfast - just be sure to have the boxes of cereal on the counter so you don't have to get anything out of the cabinets.

Getting one of those grabby things will help you pick things up off the floor. I'd also have a little session with your son and practice now how he can help you do things like help you up out of bed or into a standing position. Knowing that you will need that type of help may help reduce any fear or anxiety he may be feeling.

A surgical binder really really helped me the first few days after surgery. Not everyone likes them but I feel like mine saved my life!

If you have a friend or two who could come help for a couple of hours on the days after it would be a huge help. It may not be possible but hopefully there's someone who could come.

Wishing you the best - you are so smart to prepare!
Unread 07-23-2020, 09:55 AM
Upcoming hysterectomy 8/14: Seeking advice - ideas on how I can care for my animals after surgery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolli1970 View Post
I would pre-prepare everything I could possibly think of. Like putting the animals food into zip lock bags up on a counter where you can reach them without any bending or stretching - and having 5-8 days worth predone so all you have to do is dump the food out of the bag.

It would also be helpful for you to do some freezer meals so you don't have to cook anything other than to let it defrost and warm in the oven. You could do cereal for breakfast - just be sure to have the boxes of cereal on the counter so you don't have to get anything out of the cabinets.

Getting one of those grabby things will help you pick things up off the floor. I'd also have a little session with your son and practice now how he can help you do things like help you up out of bed or into a standing position. Knowing that you will need that type of help may help reduce any fear or anxiety he may be feeling.

A surgical binder really really helped me the first few days after surgery. Not everyone likes them but I feel like mine saved my life!

If you have a friend or two who could come help for a couple of hours on the days after it would be a huge help. It may not be possible but hopefully there's someone who could come.

Wishing you the best - you are so smart to prepare!
Lolli, thank you so incredibly much for the great ideas! My goal will be to do as little bending over has possible for a while. With surgery being 3 weeks away, I am trying to do all the pre-planning that I possibly can.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-23-2020, 11:00 AM

When I had my surgery, my family included 2 German shepherds and 2 cats. My brother mainly took care of the dogs, but I could still enjoy spending time with them out in our backyard. Inside the house, they weren't much of a problem, because I'd conditioned them to regard me as their pack leader; for example, if one of them was lying in the way of somewhere I wanted to go, instead of risking a fall by trying to step over them, I'd simply tell them to move, and they'd recognize that they were expected to move without question. I also kept a stash of tennis balls, Milk Bones, and a pillow for my belly handy; the pillow also helped the cats to recognize that my belly was "paws off," and they were content just lying snuggled into me. I've also heard it said that the vibrations of a cat's purring are close to the frequency that promotes internal healing. My main challenge was recovering at the height of shedding season, when it took me every bit of strength I had to resist cleaning all that hair, but I made it through, as I'm sure you will! Wishing you all the best for a successful surgery, and a smooth recovery!
Unread 07-23-2020, 11:32 AM

Tiger Eye, it is nice to meet another German Shepherd mom! My guy is very well behaved in the house and is slowly losing his puppy energy. I will definitely invest in a pillow for my tummy as my big kitty loves to lay on my belly. I have a chair outside so when I take my doggy out, I'll be able to sit. I just wish the heat would go away, as I fear that the sweating will make my recovery miserable.
Unread 07-26-2020, 05:14 PM
Re: Upcoming hysterectomy 8/14: Seeking advice - ideas on how I can care for my animals after surgery

I bought a long handle litter scooper from amazon for the kitty litter. There was no way I could bend or crouch for the first few weeks.
Unread 07-27-2020, 11:27 AM

Buy yourself a very small pail and put water in it and weigh it. I found this pail useful for many things like very light cleaning, feeding water to the dogs and even to carry a few things at once.
Just an idea I found worked for me. Best wishes!
Unread 07-27-2020, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by country dame View Post
Buy yourself a very small pail and put water in it and weigh it. I found this pail useful for many things like very light cleaning, feeding water to the dogs and even to carry a few things at once.
Just an idea I found worked for me. Best wishes!
That is a great idea! Thank you for the tip!
Unread 07-27-2020, 08:12 PM

Hi Lissa06 -

You have been given lots of great ideas. Breaking up everything into small tasks is a must - think batch mode for most tasks. You will have lifting restrictions: 10 lbs for 6 weeks and 20 lbs for 8 weeks is common.

A scoop is a must for the kitty litter, as was previously mentioned. You will also not be able to walk your dog, so you may need to hire a dog walker or have your son do it (if possible).

:
Unread 08-16-2020, 10:28 PM

Hi Lissa06. Thanks for asking this question. I see you will now be a couple days post op. I hope all is going well.
I am a divorcee and empty nester having LAVH with probable removal of ovaries and tubes and a bladder sling placed on Aug. 19th as an outpatient surgery. I have 2 large well-trained/behaved indoor dogs, as well as a cat. The cat litter scoop, I am hoping to be able to find online. As for the dogs, I am blessed to own a fairly large property where they run outside in the backyard. I have prepped for almost 2 weeks now but was at a loss until I saw this thread for my pets.
Thank you again so very much! Hugs to you and smooth recovery.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register