Scheduled dVH/RALH Hysterectomy scheduled 8/5 can't stop worrying - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy scheduled 8/5 can't stop worrying Hysterectomy scheduled 8/5 can't stop worrying

Unread 07-30-2020, 12:07 AM
Hysterectomy scheduled 8/5 can't stop worrying

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy471 View Post
I'm up at 2 am worrying about a whole host of things. I live alone and have no one who can stay with me or really visit at all. I feel less alone, though, since securing the rides I need to and from the hospital and having a friend volunteer to bring me groceries if I need that.

What woke me up and made it impossible to go back to sleep was worry that the Walmart grocery delivery person would not be able to find my apartment. (I live in an odd mixed use building.)

Then I started feeling scared that I will go under anesthesia and never wake up. Thinking, what is death like and what if this is my time to go? Contemplating human mortality in general.

Then my pesky brain went back to a conversation I overheard at a hair salon years ago. Two women next to me were discussing surgery and one described how awful it was for her because she was paralyzed by the anesthesia, but still awake enough to feel everything and unable to tell anyone. That was a week before I had my gall bladder removed, and it worried me a lot back then too. But I keep telling myself that is an extremely rare thing to happen, if indeed it DID happen. Sometimes people do fib.

So now that I'm up, I can't stop worrying about all the tasks I have set myself to complete before 8/5. House cleaning, shopping, getting meds and other such things.

When I was offered a selection of dates for my surgery yesterday, I chose the first available because if given more time, I would just find new things to worry about and do. Just get the darn thing over with.

Things I'm trying to remind myself of:

One, the surgeon is the best surgeon in this field in this region, There is no better person to do the job.

Two, I am less alone than I felt previously. I asked a friend to call me every day to check on me and will give her the security code to enter my building. That way, if she gets no response from me, she can come over. I am glad I chose her because she is a very stable, reliable, cool headed person able to handle emergencies very well.

Three, I've handled pain before and did ok. I didn't need all the pain pills I was given and generally bounced back quickly, for the two other surgeries I've had. (Appendix and gall bladder.)

Four, last month I was under anesthesia for a D&C, polyp removal and hysterescopy. And last month I had similar fears about not waking up from the anesthesia and that turned out OK. Chances are, it will be fine this time as well.

Other reassuring facts or perspectives would be welcome from others, as well as advice on coping with this constant worrying. I am quite beside myself with worry.

Thank you for reading this huge long rambling post
You are definitely not alone! Mine is scheduled for this Fri (less than 48 hrs - EEK!) and my emotions are all over the place. Like others have said I alternate between fearing the worst and feeling positive/being excited for my giant fibroid to be removed! I'm scared of anesthesia, I'm scared of surgery complications, I just wish I could snap my fingers and have it already be over and be back recovering at home. Tomorrow is my fasting day and I'm going to try and relax and enjoy watching a movie and cuddling with my kids. I do believe that staying busy is very helpful, it's only when I'm idle that the anxious worry creeps in. A week from now we'll both be done with surgery and onto recovery...best wishes to you!

-J
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-30-2020, 08:19 AM
Re: Hysterectomy scheduled 8/5 can't stop worrying

fifteen years, you and mpclark have surgery on the same day! I will send healing thoughts to both of you on your day. I keep telling myself it will be over soon as well. I'm not looking forward to pain, but getting past the super scary part will be a relief.

Jel1221, I'll be sending healing thoughts to you as well, tomorrow. I do not have fibroids but a friend did, and I remember her relief at not dealing with that any more. She's the one who told me about this site. Best wishes to you, too!
Unread 07-30-2020, 11:48 AM

Oh wow, I was right where you were just over a year ago. I had about 4 months to worry about my surgery and I kept reading on here that the worrying was really the worst part of the whole experience. I didn't believe it but it was true. I worried a lot about anesthesia but if you google it, it's very rare to have complications. Also remember a hysterectomy is the 2nd most common surgery, just after C-section, so it's pretty routine for your surgeon I think. At my preop appt I told my doctor I was nervous and he said well I'm not! That actually made me feel better.

Keep yourself busy doing everything you need to do to make the first week as easy as possible. Clean, wash the bed, get/prepare food or get a bunch of snacks. I relied on fruit, smoothies, nuts, and lots of water in the first week. You will probably be surprised at how well you will manage after just one day. I had abdominal and was home after a day and a half. My boyfriend went to work the first full day I was home and I was able to move around and take a shower.

Keep posting here what your worries are and people will respond with lots of advice, feedback, and their own positive stories of recovery!

Also make sure to join your post op group. It was really helpful to talk to people that had surgery the same week as me. If in doubt, always call your doctor too with any concerns!
Unread 07-30-2020, 09:17 PM

Oh my gosh, DeniseHyst, you had 4 months of waiting???? I would have died of worry. I'm quite thankful I am only waiting a week. I didn't know hysterectomy was such a common surgery. That is reassuring, my doctor has probably done hundreds in his 30 years of practice, and in his 15 years of doing robotic surgeries.

I have got a long to-do list that will keep me very busy. Tomorrow, like today, I will be on the go all day. I am disabled and this pace is pretty hard to maintain. I am trying to schedule naps. But after all, I will have plenty of time to rest and sleep once the surgery is over.

I got pretty excited by the idea of smoothies, such a wonderful summer treat, until I remembered the pitcher part of my blender is glass and very heavy, too heavy for me to be lifting and cleaning. But I have other nice things, and I plan on stocking up on fresh fruit just before my covid test. (I have to self quarantine after the test.)

At the moment I am not worrying too much, but I am feeling overwhelmed by what I want to do before surgery. This is all very hectic.

Thank you for sharing your encouraging story, it's always good to hear from others who have experienced similar things.
Unread 07-30-2020, 09:39 PM
Hysterectomy scheduled 8/5 can't stop worrying

Ok if you can't do smoothies or premade smoothies, fruit will work since most lasts a while. You want hydration and fiber and easy food. I had issues with digestion in the first week, not unbearable but ask your doctor what to take if you have constipation.

I was much calmer than I expected to be the morning of and all through the intake process before surgery but I did cry as I was taken to the or. Don't be afraid to cry, I'm pretty sure the nurses expected it and they were rubbing my shoulders until I fell asleep.
Unread 07-31-2020, 09:35 AM

Thank you for your response, Denise

I will definitely ask my doctor about medication for constipation, since I already have a problem with that due to side effects of a drug I must take. *eyeroll*

I'm still doing pretty well with not worrying too much, but still feeling overwhelmed by what I want to get done before surgery. I will check out pre-made smoothies and other such drinks, I know they would be nice and easy with low appetite and a finicky stomach.

Once i got to the hospital the day of my last procedure, they kept me busy enough to not feel scared, which I was grateful for. I'm very glad they sedate you before entering the OR at my hospital. I know some people aren't put out until after being wheeled into the OR. I don't want to see anything of that at all.

I checked out a guided meditation recording for successful surgery and recovery, and they started you out imagining yourself in the OR,and I was like, "I want nothing to do with that, the less I think about what happens after they knock me out, the better."
Unread 08-01-2020, 08:15 AM
Re: Scheduled 8/5 can't stop worrying

Tiger Eye...

Can I ask from the pics on amazon, I see the stool goes directly below the toilet seat. Does that mean it was comfortable enough to put it there and have it lift your legs / keep knees up or did you put it far out in front of you so your legs were more straight? (I can't imagine it feeling comfy to almost have to scrunch the abdomen if the stool stays where the pics show. Just wanted to check before I buy one or see about using a stool we may already have and where to place it.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register