TAH 4 days post hysterectomy - severe diarrhea ! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

4 days post hysterectomy - severe diarrhea ! 4 days post hysterectomy - severe diarrhea !

Unread 08-04-2020, 08:57 PM
4 days post hysterectomy - severe diarrhea !

Today started out ok. Was feeling more gassy than yesterday which was frustrating as it'd been winding down the past few days and I thought was getting better. Then a few hours ago the gas pains (both in ribcage and intestinal) really started revving up and as of the last several hours I'm having straight up "peeing out the butt" liquid diarhhea. Sorry to be gross but it's true. I had 2 normal soft poos yesterday. I've been taking 2 stool softeners per day. I have no appetite since surgery so have been eating very lightly. Although I did have a very small piece of cheesecake and some melon for breakfast as it sounded good. That was my last meal, almost 12 hours ago. Should I be concerned??? I've been trying to drink fluids but and seriously losing it all on the toilet. This is way worse than the bowel cleanse I had last Thur! Help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-05-2020, 04:33 AM
Re: 4 days post hysterectomy - severe diarrhea !

My first suggestion is that you avoid the cheesecake, because dairy products can aggravate diarrhea, and you clearly don't need to be taking the stool softeners; other foods to avoid right now include legumes, onions and garlic, cruciferous vegetables, plums and prunes, apricots, cherries, and artificial sweeteners. Diarrhea at this stage is caused by a combination of a bacterial imbalance stemming from antibiotic use during surgery, and prostaglandins produced as a normal inflammatory response to the trauma of major surgery overstimulating the intestinal tract. To address the bacterial imbalance, I suggest a probiotic supplement specially formulated for digestive health. You also need to maintain your hydration levels, so be sure you're drinking enough water so that your urine is clear or pale yellow; you can make a tasty rehydration drink by mixing a quart of plain coconut water with a cup of orange juice, 1 tsp baking powder, and 3/4 tsp Himalayan salt, or just ask someone forget some plain chicken or vegetable broth. Soluble fibre from bananas, blueberries, oatmeal, and psyllium or chia seeds can help to produce firmer bowel movements by absorbing excess water. Also focusing on bland, easily digestible foods will give your bowels a chance to rest and recover; top picks for this include scrambled or poached eggs, white fish, rice noodles, plain toast, white rice, saltine crackers, mashed potatoes, and steamed carrots. Best wishes for ggetting over this soon, and for your continued recovery!
Unread 08-05-2020, 05:26 AM

Tiger_Eye,
Thank you so much for your helpful reply. I've spent all night worried I have C diff, but my stools don't have the "foul odor" characteristic of C diff, nor the fever. It prob was just the stupid cheesecake (stupid me). I do already have a great probiotic for digestive health I started taking last night, and I'll stick to eating foods as mentioned above. How soon should my diarrhea stop before I concerned? How long do I need to eat this bland diet? Also, is it normal to have NO appetite right now?

Thanks,
Jel1221
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-05-2020, 06:41 AM

Jen, I'd let your doctor know about it anyway, sooner rather than later. Diarrhea which lasts longer than two days without improvement is the guideline for when nothing else is going on in your life, but you've had surgery. C diff is contagious and it can run through surgery centers / hospitals. Let your doctor determine if you should get a sample taken and analyzed rather than self-diagnose.

I'd stay on the bland diet until the condition reverses itself. It's not unusual for your appetite to be AWOL after surgery. meds, the fasting and/or bowel prep which can empty us out, inflammation nearby and the surgical trauma your body endured. My appetite was off - everything looked too much, too heavy, too spicy, too, too, too.... My preference was steamed veggies and little else, but I found ways to eat. Nutrition is important to healing, especially protein, and I'll defer to Tiger_Eye's suggestions. One thing I'd like to add is instead of main meals, graze with small portions throughout the day. Eventually your appetite should return. For more tips, check out Loss of Appetite After Hysterectomy. ...I do believe I probably looked like the Sister on that article thumbnail on more than one occasion!

Unread 08-05-2020, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jel1221 View Post
Today started out ok. Was feeling more gassy than yesterday which was frustrating as it'd been winding down the past few days and I thought was getting better. Then a few hours ago the gas pains (both in ribcage and intestinal) really started revving up and as of the last several hours I'm having straight up "peeing out the butt" liquid diarhhea. Sorry to be gross but it's true. I had 2 normal soft poos yesterday. I've been taking 2 stool softeners per day. I have no appetite since surgery so have been eating very lightly. Although I did have a very small piece of cheesecake and some melon for breakfast as it sounded good. That was my last meal, almost 12 hours ago. Should I be concerned??? I've been trying to drink fluids but and seriously losing it all on the toilet. This is way worse than the bowel cleanse I had last Thur! Help!
I had the exact same thing happen in January when I had my hysterectomy. I think it was a combination of antibiotics and overdose on fruit and stool softeners... I had it again 1 week later and not again. Best wishes on your recovery.
Unread 08-05-2020, 01:04 PM

Ladies, thanks to all of you for replying to me! I'm still dealing with loose bowels today but it's definitely getting better. I'm taking probiotics, stopping stool softener, and sticking to a really mild diet as suggested. Thank you all!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register