shall I? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 10-08-2000, 09:03 AM
shall I?

I m 41 yrs old, with 3 kids. Last week, my gynaceologist told me I had ovarian tumour (after seeing it grow from 2.2 cm to 6.6 cm within 16 weeks) and it may be cancerous due to the high CT 125 readings and it was imperative that she performed an explorative laprotomy. My symptons at the present moment are quite mild and I was in shock when she told me that the chances are the tumour was 60-70% cancerous. Naturally, I seek a second opinion before deciding to go ahead with surgery. My 2nd gynie was of the opinion that in his opinion, it is more likely 90% endometrisis and 10% ovarian cancer. He is also of the opinion that surgery should go ahead and a hysterectomy be done if the frozen C-section shows it is endometrosis.
Surgery seems quite drastic in view of my seemingly mild symptons.
Perhaps some kind souls out there could advise me whether I should go ahead with surgery and if so, should I tell my surgeon to go ahead with the hysterectomy or just perform the laprotomy if the result is endometrosis and not ovarian cancer?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-08-2000, 10:15 AM
shall I?

I have no experience with cancer, but I guess this would be something that you would have to decide for yourself. If I heard the word cancer, I would want to take the radical approach. As far as endometriosis, well that only gets worse as time goes by.
What it comes down to is how important is it to you to keep your reproductive organs? If they go in and do the laparoscopy and then realize the best course of action is a hysterectomy, you will have not one surgery to recover from but 2.
Maybe some other sisters have been through similar experience and can give you better advice. Just read your post and figured I'd give you my nickels worth.
Best of Luck
Unread 10-08-2000, 05:26 PM
shall I?

Confused - Ovarian cancer has few symptoms...please don't wait too long to find out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-08-2000, 09:14 PM
shall I?

((((Confused)))). As Dot said, cancer, ovarian and any other, often has few or no symptoms. Please don't wait. Furthermore, laparascopy, in itself, is a minor surgery. Of course, if they want you to sign so that they can do a hyst if they find cancer, that still means you have to take a decision. Still, it's a decision I would take fast. You might also want to check out the Cancer board.

Unread 10-08-2000, 09:21 PM
Better safe....

A 6cm growth on ones ovary is large. I would definately have it explored ASAP. And, as was mentioned already few symptoms with ovarian ca. I agree do not put it off. If you are happy with your Dr. trust that he or she will do the right thing. Your health is the most important thing and dont be fooled by the fact that you are feeling so well. Hopefully, it wont be anything serious and all will go well for you. BTW, I was an Oncology (cancer) nurse for 15 years and am still actively nursing. Good luck! AMY
Unread 10-08-2000, 09:32 PM
shall I?

I would definitely check it out, as stated earlier, ovarian cancer doesn't show any symptoms until it is in very advanced stages. My mother was diagnosed with it in 1995 after complaining of all these weird symptoms that seemed to the doctor to be anything but a reproductive problem because she was in her sixties. They finally did a ct scan and told her she had a fibroid (at her age?) and scheduled a surgery for a much later date. Within six weeks, the small tumor they thought was a fibroid, grew to be the size of a cantaloupe and the cancer had spread all over. THey gave her three months to live at the time, but she is a fighter and is doing just fine today. She would have been so much better off if they had just removed it when they first found it though! Your health is very important!! Take care and good luck to you.
Unread 10-09-2000, 01:15 PM
shall I?

I had no symptoms and I had cancer.

In fact, that's rapid growth. And ovarian cancer survival rate plummets the longer you wait. I'd have the surgery. I'm not sure I'd even have the lap at this point--it's another opportunity to spread cancer cells. I certainly wouldn't delay. If it's not cancer, then you have relief. If it is cancer, then you may have saved yourself months of chemo and radiation if it's caught early enough, or at least increased your odds.

Teresa, I'm really glad your mother is doing so well!!
Unread 10-09-2000, 01:22 PM
shall I?

If they go in and it isnt cancer that would be great! If they found out that you had endometriosis that would be horrible. There is no cure for endo but sometimes a hyst can get it all or at least leave you without any symptoms. I didnt have a whole lot of endo symptoms until they went in and disturbed it. I pray that you make the right decision for you! Good luck and God bless!

Holly
partial/hyst
Oct.23,2000(cant wait)
Unread 10-10-2000, 06:50 AM
shall I?

Hi sis,
Thanks for all your replies. It is very comforting to know that all of you out there are so caring. I just wanted to let you know that I finally took the radical approach and had the surgery done. I saw my gynaecologist and decided to do the op the next day. It was scary. I had only one day to sort out everything. I had to have a TAH done on me as the endometrosis was dense. It has grown all over the place, onto my uterus,ovaries and even the intestine is affected. It was a big mess in there. I am still puzzled as to the minimal discomfort I had prior to my op, makes me wonder if I had done the right thing to remove everything. Nevertheless, I trust my gynae's decision and gave her the authority to decide. Guess now Iam onto my next hurdle which is the HRT programme. Once again I would like to thank all of you out there for giving me all the valuable advice.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register