Will I feel empty? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Will I feel empty? Will I feel empty?

Unread 10-08-2000, 08:30 PM
kim's last post

OMG Kim, that is the first time I ever "heard" someone who could totally relate to what I go through every month (I realize everyone else here does to, but that is the first time I actually read it).
I go to work, very physical job. It is day 2 of my period. Go to the bathroom, change pad (overnight pad), put in a super tampon, walk back to my work area, and already the tampon is full and I am bleeding onto the pad.
No one understands it. My co-workers don't, my family doesn't, and my girlfriends don't. My mother insists I must be putting the tampon in wrong (DUH, I'm 35 years old, I think I know the right way by now, lol).
So from day one I am miserable because I know what I have to endure the next day and maybe day after. Cannot go out in public day 2 and 3, cuz I can't get away from changing everything without my hands being full of blood and in a public restroom the sinks are on the outside of the stalls.
I have changed plans based on my period so many times over the past 9 years, I can't even count them anymore.
I'm sure everyone who is reading this can relate. Weds. surgery can't come fast enough for me, especially since I got my period today so tomorrow will be the worst day (ugh).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-08-2000, 08:46 PM
Will I feel empty?

I've also been wondering if there is an "empty" feeling afterwards, not the type of empty Trasey is talking about but the kind of empty you feel after pregnancy: we got used to the baby in there and then, suddenly it seemed, our tummy was empty. Is there the same type of emptiness after an hyst? After all, I'm now used to carrying all those huge fibroids around
Unread 10-08-2000, 08:49 PM
Will I feel empty?

Hello, Just wanted to add my two cents worth:
I feel more feminine than I probably ever have. Pain gone. Bleeding gone. No more worrying when I stand up. I even once bleed on the pew at church!! I love feminine clothing and pretty gowns. I was ruining them with blood!

I do not feel empty, just lots bettter!

Sex is much better! No bleeding, no pain and no worries of having to plan around 10 to 15 day periods.

Ovaries: I chose to have mine taken. I thought I chose until I woke up and was told they had to be taken. Terrible shape. I did not want to worry about ovarian cancer because of family history! That is a personal choice.

Friday 13: Well, I too have had very good luck on Friday 13. Once I found 40.00 in parking lot! Hehe

Good Luck on your up coming surgery and hope you have a speedy recovery! Remember REST---REST---REST! Take care of you! God Bless! Prayers are with you on your surgery and decisions. Deb TAH/BSO 7/17/00
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-09-2000, 09:02 AM
Kat

I used to do security and was a supervisor at the end. I had to leave two years ago because I couldn't COPE any more. No one understands you ANYWAY when you are in a male dominated profession, the work is heavy.

My partner and I were sparring one night and he hit me sort of with the heels of his hands against my hip bones (you can fold a person in half that way and quickly put them down when they are larger than you) but he hit my ovary and I thought I would DIE it was so painful !

I have lived here 5 years and haven't made any friends ... first of all even if I could meet people- they wouldn't understand that I have to plan my life around my period (it even SOUNDS flakey !)

And People at church must think I'm nuts too. At any given time during the service I just up and leave. I don't go on their outings (hayride ??! are you KIDDING ??!)

*I* am a hermit ! sorry... just a little ranty there... two more days until surgery ... getting a little wierd.
Unread 10-09-2000, 09:10 AM
Re:

Kim, You are sooooooooo NOT ALONE! I wish we lived close so we could do lunch...(planned around our periods of course!) I would understand. Sounds like its better that your partner goes back to CA anyway. I am in your corner-I can relate. You know what though? We we will be Hyster Sisters till the end of time! No one can take that away from us. That is how I am looking at it. We will be a part of a group of women who will understand our ups and downs forever! Keep your chin up and you are in my prayers
Unread 10-09-2000, 09:57 AM
PS>

Everyone knows that it was my security partner (at work) that hit me not my life partner ... right ? Okay just wanted to make that clear that I don't have any OTHER problems to deal with ;-)
Unread 10-09-2000, 10:24 AM
Will I feel empty?

Trasey,

I am 5 weeks psot-op and I can say that this surgery has had an overhwelmingly positive effect on how I feel about myself. Had to beg for it after many years of Dysfunctional uterine bleeding.

The bleeding was making me feel UNsexy. The bleeding was making me tired and depressed. And you know how when you don't feel good about yourself it can show in the way you look and dress and act?

Well, since the surgery I have been doing my hair and make up everyday (was getting to look pretty ragged there for awhile). I smile more, I feel more sexually desireable instead of like damaged goods. I bought some cute new clothes. Everyone who sees me says, "Wow, you really seem happy" and "Wow, you look so good".

I didn't really tell too many people about this surgeyr b/c I felt a strong need to keep it private. So I really have to laugh when people who don't know about it say, "Did you do something different?" They kind of look at me like they can't figure it out.

I feel so good on the inside that it's just shining for the world to see! Just wanted to share an uplifting story with you. Best wishes,
Unread 10-09-2000, 11:24 AM
Re: PS>

Kim, Oops....misunderstood that one! Thanks for clearing it up
Unread 10-09-2000, 11:29 AM
Will I feel empty?

Michelle, Thank you so much for your story! Having already been in my shoes, you must know how encouraging stories like your are and because I am coming to the realization that this a very GOOD thing, I am anxious to get it done and move on and up! I can't wait to walk without holding my back. I can't wait to be able to say "I am great!" and mean it when someone asks how I am. Thank you again!!!! Trasey
Unread 10-09-2000, 01:18 PM
Is there another 'empty' meaning physical space in you

Okay, I took this literally......meaning empty space not empty feeling. I know I will not be empty feeling but what does it feel like once the uterus and ovaries are gone? Where does everything else go? Hopefully my bladder will get bigger so we don't have to stop at every rest stop between Texas and Minnesota.

I too am soooooo looking forwar to surgery 10-31......not sure which is better 10-13 or Halloween? I thought about dressing up to go to the hospital or drawing a jack-o-lantern on my tummy before surgery. I am having a Laprascopic Supracervical Hyster which is done totally with laprascopy....small incisions. Everything gets sucked out with this great mocellator thingy.

I also am glad to know that I am not the only one who looks like she did her own hyster when you change tampons......couldn't believe it yesterday. I was at home and STILL managed to bleed through clothing twice in 1 hour! No wonder I'm tired and crabby all the time. Oh well 2 trips and then surgery....not much more time left.

Reason for Surgery----4 fibroids size of golf balls and bleeding whenever it felt like it!

Avis

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register