A little over a week to go.... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

A little over a week to go.... A little over a week to go....

Unread 10-31-2010, 02:40 PM
A little over a week to go....

Hi everyone.
My TVH is a little more than a week away (November 9th) and I can honestly say that the thing that is worrying me the most is hearing the horror stories about the terrible gas pains and the trouble with the BM's after surgery. I have also read some stories of people getting epidurals-another thing that is giving me the heebie jeebies. I have never had one and don't want to either!
How did you guys deal with that? I mean its inevitable, I know that but at the same time it is really starting to take its toll on my psyche. Its all I think about and worry about from the time I get up until the time I fall asleep.
I am looking forward to feeling better overall after the surgery but all of the "other stuff" that goes with it is freakin me out!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-31-2010, 03:03 PM
Re: A little over a week to go....

Think of a hysterectomy like a pregnancy. Everyone has a horror story to tell the poor expectant mother and when her time comes it's nothing like what she was told. It's good to be prepared. Read the Hystersister's information under "pre-op discussion". This is where I found a wealth of information and the majority of my fears were relieved.

Everyone has a different experience with surgery. If you have concerns about anesthesia, talk to your doc beforehand. Ask if you'll be getting an epidural or general. Make your concerns known because there are options! As far as BM's, gas pains, etc... again, everyone is different. I had stool softener ready at home and only had to take it a couple of days in the beginning. You'll more than likely be eating light before and after the surgery (at least I did - soups, etc). I had the da vinci laproscopic and I had a little gas pressure the next day but it passed quickly.

The main key during recovery is to walk as much as you possibly can. I know you'll be hurting (it's surgery after all), but the more you move, the better. Any gas pains you may experience will diminish with movement. Walking also helps get your bowels and other functions back to normal. Drink LOTS of WATER! Keep hydrated, and that too will help overall recovery.

Surgery is scary. Fear is normal. But relief is around the corner. If you are still having trouble with sleep and fear of surgery, ask you doc about meds to help with that.

Good luck sweetie, everything will be fine! You have the sisters here to help you!
Unread 10-31-2010, 03:18 PM

Hi! I understand your increasing fears/worries etc.. Mine is scheduled for the day after you..on the 10th and although I feel like the wait has been LONG (too long), all of a sudden the date has become much too close for my comfort. (if that even makes any sense..lol) From what I read about gas/BM's etc...I will be doing some shopping this week to get gas X, stool softeners and prune juice to have on hand for post op. Hopefully it will help a little. I have been reading a lot of horrer stories lately about post op bladder issues (people going home on a catheter...stuff like that), so this is kind of my newest fear I am working thru.

Good luck to you...be sure to post how you are in post op.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-31-2010, 06:04 PM

Thank you sisters for your help and encouragement!

fltprincess-your right! Everyone has a horror story about their pregnancy and how it went...I never thought of it that way! Thanks for all of the advice. My pre-op appt is Wednesday and I will be going over all of my concerns with my doctor then. I will be making sure to walk as much as possible and drink lots of water.
RJS777-I have made a list of all of the umm stuff (lol) that I will need to help certain situations during my recovery.
I too, have been looking forward to this surgery and now that it is almost here, my fears are taking a front seat! I am finding it harder to think about the big picture. Instead, I keep thinking of all of the problems that I may have after the surgery.
Thanks again and I will be sure to keep you posted.
Unread 11-04-2010, 03:52 AM

Hi I feel like you my TAH is on the 18th November (already been cancelled once to my horror) but anyway got my head around it again and once again counting down. I have been told to take Soda Water with me as it gets rid of the gas. Sending you hugs and good luck for your surgery on the 9th. xxx
Unread 11-04-2010, 07:37 AM

#1SteelersFan - I just had a TVH on Monday, November 1st. Don't be scared.
Gas Pains - I started to feel it in my shoulders on the first evening in the hospital. Took 2 Gas-X that I brought with me. The doctor said it was fine to take Gas-X. Felt much, much beter. Now that I am home, I am feeling some gas pains in my lower belly - might make me jump a little bit. I think I took one Gas-x yesterday. And walking helps get rid of some of the gas.
BM - I haven't had one yet!

Uhm...Go 'Skins! lol
Unread 11-04-2010, 09:43 AM

Everyone's experience is different cuz we all are different. So one can't say their experience is gonna be exactly what your experience will be. Sure there are common things that we all may experience such as gas pains and trouble with BM. I have had some gas pains and some trouble with BM but am dealing with each problem as it comes.

With regards to Epidural, I actually had one and was so thankful that my anethesologist recommended it for me cuz when I woke up from surgery, I did not feel any pain whatsoever and was not ill at all....a bit nausea but they got that under control right away. Each day went by and I was waiting to feel the pain but nothing and so for me the Epidural worked wonders for me. It didn't hurt going into my back either..I just remember a little pinch or something like that.

So remember there may be many horror stories out there but that may not be your experience. I am 11 days out and doing well...better than I thought I would be feeling that is for sure.

Best wishes on your upcoming surgery. Take care.
Unread 11-04-2010, 10:08 AM

I had next to nothing on the gas pains. When I thought it might be gas, I took Gas X and it took care of it. As for the BM, I had no problems. I had to do the bowel prep and when I got home I took a stool softener once a day until I had a BM. I didn't need any more after that. Four weeks later my abdominal area just feels a little crampy, but no pain.
Unread 11-04-2010, 02:20 PM

Everyone is different. I had gas but no pains because I made sure I walked and tried to pass it as much as I could. I finally asked for a suppository and that finally got things moving. The one thing I didn't expect were feelings of gas around my shoulders and the burping that came along to get rid of it. On a good note, I had my surgery on November 1 (4 days ago) and aside from huge issues about being nauseous (they finally got it under control with a third med) I am totally pain free on and taking on extra strength tylenol every 3 or so hours as an anti-inflamatory. I am totally shocked at how good I feel. You need to also read the good news stories instead of the horror ones.
Unread 11-04-2010, 02:49 PM

SteelersFan,
How did your pre-op go? I know I am starting to freak out a little!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register