Scheduled TAH Upcoming hysterectomy: Sexual worries | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming hysterectomy: Sexual worries Upcoming hysterectomy: Sexual worries

Unread 05-11-2015, 09:27 AM
Upcoming hysterectomy: Sexual worries

I am scheduled for June 8. I am nervous to an extent.
I am ready to have it done. I know it is the right decision.

My worries are more of a sexual nature. I have a very high sex drive. I am dating someone and we enjoy a very active and fulfilling sex life.

Will it decrease my sex drive. Will it change my orgasms? Will it cause me to become dry? I know in the bigger scheme if things that these should not be what I am worried about, but they are.

As I said above I am comfortable I am making the right decision for myself. I am not worried about the surgery itself, more the after effects on something I consider an important part of a relationship.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-11-2015, 09:34 AM
Re: Sexual worries

I see that you're having your ovaries removed. Has your doctor said whether or not you'll be able to do HRT afterwards?
Unread 05-11-2015, 09:38 AM

We will discuss that at my preop visit. Most likely yes.
Unread 05-11-2015, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jka972 View Post
We will discuss that at my preop visit. Most likely yes.
Okay. If you're pre-menopausal, then removing your ovaries will of course affect your hormone levels. Essentially, you're going to be thrown into surgical menopause.

Other women on this list have been on HRT and will likely be along to comment. Based on what I've read, there's a bit of trial-and-error involved in getting the mixture and dosage right for your particular body, but the results can be quite good.

May I ask why you're having the ovaries removed? I know when my gyn said mine were going, I got sort of prickly and demanded to know *why*. She explained that the cancer I had was estrogen-fed, at which point I was like, yeah, ditch 'em.
Unread 05-11-2015, 10:11 AM

Am planning to try to keep one at least. With the advent of electronic medical records etc. I was able to read my surgical orders. I think the BSO is just standard for his orders when he writes them.

My Dr. Has been my OB/GYN for 20 years now. He will be open to me keeping them unless he sees a reason to remove them once he gets in there.
Unread 05-11-2015, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Am planning to try to keep one at least. With the advent of electronic medical records etc. I was able to read my surgical orders. I think the BSO is just standard for his orders when he writes them.

My Dr. Has been my OB/GYN for 20 years now. He will be open to me keeping them unless he sees a reason to remove them once he gets in there.
Yes, surgical orders tend to be written to cover all possible contingencies. If they *don't* say BSO and your surgeon gets in there and discovers that both have problems, he won't be able to remove both for legal reasons.

I was asking because your profile says "removed both." :-)

If you're keeping one or both ovaries, then it/they may be a bit sluggish after surgery but should eventually wake up. I think there's some evidence that women who've had hysterectomies may go through menopause a couple/few years earlier than they otherwise would have, but certainly it's not an immediate event.

As long as your hormone levels are good, there's no reason for your sex drive to be impaired. :-) Some women report that things are even better, while others find that they and their partners have to work on things a bit and make adjustments.

An orgasm basically involves various muscles all clenching hard at once. Your uterus may be one of the muscles involved. If that's the case for you personally, then yes, you're going to notice a change. Also, some women find it pleasurable to have their cervix bumped during intercourse. (Others find it painful.)

Some women report a period of adjustment for themselves and their partners. Some report that things are even better! This is especially true for women who've had a lot of pain and bleeding before surgery. Hard to be sexy when you're hurting, eh?

Communication between you and your partner is key, but there's no reason at all that a hysterectomy should be the death knell of a pleasurable and intense sexual relationship.
Unread 05-11-2015, 11:30 AM

My intention is to keep both. My partner and I have great communication with one another.

You read so many things online and then worry about them. As I said I know probably not what most people are worried about. But an active and enjoyable sex life is important to me.
Unread 05-11-2015, 11:43 AM

Quote:
...As I said I know probably not what most people are worried about. But an active and enjoyable sex life is important to me.
Are you kidding? We get *tons* of questions on the pre-op board about sex and intimacy after surgery! I'd say that most people would agree with you that an active and enjoyable sex life is important. :-)
Unread 05-11-2015, 11:59 AM
Upcoming hysterectomy: Sexual worries

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurprisedInNB View Post
Are you kidding? We get *tons* of questions on the pre-op board about sex and intimacy after surgery! I'd say that most people would agree with you that an active and enjoyable sex life is important. :-)
That was also one of my main concerns
Unread 05-11-2015, 12:18 PM

Hi and welcome,

That was a huge concern of mine, also. I strongly suggest making sure your ovaries are not removed unless there is an serious medical reason. That is a huge factor of course in sexual matters.

I can only share my experience. I am 42 and had the surgery in December of last year. Husband and I have very healthy intimacy. Normal hormone levels. I kept both ovaries and cervix.

My sexual desire it the same. There is less lubrication. My orgasms are different -- not as good, period. That alone makes me regret not seeking more aggressively other alternatives.

However, not all women here report a change in orgasm. Many have said it is the same. However, physiology says that the uterus plays a role in orgasm, so of course it has to change when it's gone.

Best of luck.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register