Scheduled dVH/RALH Upcoming 7/27 surgery: Abdominal binder for laparoscopic total hysterectomy?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming 7/27 surgery: Abdominal binder for laparoscopic total hysterectomy?? Upcoming 7/27 surgery: Abdominal binder for laparoscopic total hysterectomy??

Unread 06-30-2020, 09:31 PM
Upcoming 7/27 surgery: Abdominal binder for laparoscopic total hysterectomy??

Hi All!

So appreciate all the wisdom here! My da Vinci robotic assisted laparoscopic total hysterectomy is scheduled in late July.

Question - is the abdominal binder helpful/necessary? Or is that more for non-laparoscopic abdominal surgery? I’m having trouble understanding then different recoveries of laparoscopic vs an open procedure.
Thanks!
-Tiffany
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-30-2020, 10:48 PM
Upcoming 7/27 surgery: Abdominal binder for laparoscopic total hysterectomy??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maybeitstime View Post
Hi All!

So appreciate all the wisdom here! My da Vinci robotic assisted laparoscopic total hysterectomy is scheduled in late July.

Question - is the abdominal binder helpful/necessary? Or is that more for non-laparoscopic abdominal surgery? I’m having trouble understanding then different recoveries of laparoscopic vs an open procedure.
Thanks!
-Tiffany
I had daVinci lap vag...
I bought a 12 inch elastic/velcro binder from Amazon and I am so glad I did. It required someone else to put it on me in order to keep the seam in the back... so if you are alone, you may need a different style.
I wore mine home from the hospital and constantly for 10 days. It helped with "jiggling" so I didnt feel everything shaking inside when I walked. It definitely helped with coughing and sneezing by keeping things tight.
I highly recommend one!
Unread 07-01-2020, 03:33 AM
Re: Abdominal binder for laparoscopic total hysterectomy??

I also had davinci and I didn’t use one. For coughs I used a pillow pressed on my stomach.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-01-2020, 04:28 AM
Re: Upcoming 7/27 surgery: Abdominal binder for laparoscopic total hysterectomy??

My surgery was laparoscopic, which is similar to the daVinci, but without the robot. My surgeon recommended against anything binding, and I found that I was okay without it, so it depends on what your surgeon recommends.
Unread 07-01-2020, 06:18 AM
Re: Upcoming 7/27 surgery: Abdominal binder for laparoscopic total hysterectomy??

I had a TAH with a 7in vertical incision and never needed or wanted a binder. It seems to be personal preference and some doctors do not recommend them at all so make sure to check with your doctor.
Unread 07-01-2020, 07:54 PM

Hi Maybeitstime -

A binder is really a personal preference. I had open abdominal surgery with a 6-inch vertical incision. I never wore a binder and never felt I needed one. As the other sisters have said, if you think you want one, do check with your doctor as some doctors do not want you to have them. Here is an article:
Abdominal Binder: What Is It & Do I Need One?.

Having a hysterectomy is MAJOR SURGERY. An important organ is being removed from your body. No matter the surgery type, you will still have much internal healing to do (they do quite a bit in there). You really need to think in terms of weeks and not days for recovery. You will need help with cooking, cleaning, dishes, laundry, shopping, driving, etc. You will not be bedridden, but you will need to rest much. You will take brief but frequent walks as these help you heal.

Here are articles on recovery:
Hysterectomy Recovery Time
Hysterectomy Recovery Tips
Too Much Too Soon After Hysterectomy?

Unread 07-07-2020, 12:06 PM

Make sure you talk to your surgeon about it too. Mine was going to give me one before I left and then I forgot to take it. I ended up buying one and then never using it. Keep a pillow nearby to brace for coughs or laughs.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register