Upcoming July 27th hysterectomy: can I shower and go to the bathroom on my own while still in the hospital? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming July 27th hysterectomy: can I shower and go to the bathroom on my own while still in the hospital? Upcoming July 27th hysterectomy: can I shower and go to the bathroom on my own while still in the hospital?

Unread 07-26-2020, 03:39 PM
Upcoming July 27th hysterectomy: can I shower and go to the bathroom on my own while still in the hospital?

Does anyone know if it is reasonable to think I can shower and go to the bathroom on my own after surgery, while still in the hospital?
Nurses are busy...don't know if I will be able to wait for help. Do you think it is possible?

miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-26-2020, 04:27 PM
Upcoming July 27th hysterectomy: can I shower and go to the bathroom on my own while still in the hospital?

Quote:
Originally Posted by miles1950**1 View Post
Does anyone know if it is reasonable to think I can shower and go to the bathroom on my own after surgery, while still in the hospital?
Nurses are busy...don't know if I will be able to wait for help. Do you think it is possible?

miles
The nurse got me up the 1st morning post op. She had me sit on the edge of the bed for a few minutes then stand and walk on my own with her present. Once she saw I was able to stand and move around with out any dizziness she said I could get into my own pajamas so I did, again on my own. I spent the day alternating between sitting in the chair in my room, lying on the bed and slowly walking about my room. Using the bathroom alone was fine. Second morning post op the nurse said I could take a shower but I was being released so I waited until I got home. I walked out of the hospital on my own, slowly, and showered once home without assistance. Most women are more mobile and able to take care of themselves than you would think.
Unread 07-26-2020, 05:05 PM

Quote:

miles
I was up able to get up and use the bathroom a few hours after my surgery(vertical incision). It was definitely painful to transition in and out of bed but I gave me practice for the next few weeks. My catheter was removed in recovery just before i was taken to my room. I was getting iv fluids and had to pee every hour for most of that night and every time I had to ring the nurses to unplug my iv and take the embolism cuffs off my legs. I got no rest that night.🤷
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-28-2020, 05:26 AM

Quote:

miles
Typically a nurse will want to be with you the first time or two that you get out of bed. I agree that nurses are busy, but they will be more than happy to help. My fiance is a registered nurse and he loves to help when possible.
Unread 07-28-2020, 06:11 PM
Re: Upcoming hysterectomy 7/27: can I shower and go to the bathroom on my own after surgery, while still in the hospital

Going to the bathroom after a hysterectomy is a must for for discharge so you will definitely have to try to go.

For the shower, you may be accompanied by a nurse, due to weakness, etc they don’t want you to fall.

How long will you be in the hospital for?
Unread 07-28-2020, 08:34 PM
Re: Upcoming hysterectomy 7/27: can I shower and go to the bathroom on my own after surgery, while still in the hospital

Hi miles1950**1 -

You will be watched and monitored carefully after your surgery. Yes, the nurses are busy, but you will be at the top of the watch list as you are just out of surgery. You may have a catheter in or it may have been removed by the time you wake up. It just depends.

When you want to get up, they will be right by your side to assist. In fact, you probably will not be able to get up unless they are there and they will actually roust you out of bed to get you moving. If you stay overnight, they may let you shower the next day. They will probably have a shower chair in the room.

Unread 07-28-2020, 10:35 PM

Every surgery and woman is so different. I had anterior/posterior repairs with my hysterectomy so I had a catheter in until the following morning. I didn't have to use the bathroom for the first 24 hours because of the catheter. They did have me get up and walk the halls though. I had to have someone with me because I was very weak and felt dizzy. I waited to shower until I got home. I had my husband stay near for my first shower. After the first 24 to 48 hours I was able to shower and get to the bathroom on my own. I just had to walk very slow and be aware of any dizzyness.
Unread 07-29-2020, 04:37 AM

I spent just one night in the hospital, which didn't give me enough time to worry about taking a shower, and I had a catheter in the entire time. I got no rest either, between dyes in the pain medications having a stimulant effect and the nurses coming to check my vital signs every few hours. The next morning, the nurse removed my catheter, and made sure I was able to pee on my own before I could be discharged. I had my first shower on my second day home; in accordance with my post-op instructions, I was careful not to touch my incisions directly, just letting the soapy water pass over the area, then patting dry. For concerns about dizziness, I suggest keeping the water cool to lukewarm and having a shower chair or a railing handy. Wishing you all the best for a smooth recovery!
Unread 07-31-2020, 09:44 AM

I only spent one night in the hospital and didn't have my catheter removed until the next morning. I was attached to those leg rubbing things so I did buzz the nurse each time I wanted to get up since if you disconnect them yourself it sounds an alarm. They also wanted to check my pee output each time. I was home after a day and a half and was able to shower on the 2nd day on my own, just keep it short and I didn't bother to wash my hair.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register