weight gain and liquid diet | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

weight gain and liquid diet weight gain and liquid diet

Unread 02-17-2012, 01:25 AM
weight gain and liquid diet

was just wondering if i should expect to gain weight? and any suggestions for the liquid diet?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-17-2012, 05:29 AM
Re: weight gain and liquid diet

Hi
What is the liquid diet?
I'm also concerned about weight gain.
From what I've been told, as long as we're making healthy eating choices we should be ok.
Best of luck to you...
~Laura
Unread 02-17-2012, 06:04 AM

they told me to have clear liquid diet day before surgery, dreading that cause i am totally addicted to diet coke!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-17-2012, 06:17 AM

Really?
I wasn't given any special instructions.
When is your surgery?
Unfortunatly, you might have a headache without your diet coke
Good Luck!
Unread 02-17-2012, 10:12 AM

Hi-
I am 3 weeks post op and didn't have to go on a liquid diet, but
have actually lost some weight...not much, about 5 lbs, but I think its a combo of not having much of an appetite post op, and then when it came back, eating super healthy vegetarian high fiber foods to help things move along. I am eating a lot less, as I am not burning as much energy...
Also, this is a perfect time to kick the diet soda habit, which is loaded with chemicals...switch to bubbly water, with a touch of juice or green tea for the caffeine. You will need to drink A LOT post op and its good to drink stuff that flushes your system...
good luck!!
Unread 02-17-2012, 12:43 PM

Diet soda is a a clear liquid. People often confuse clear with color. That being said, soda may not be on the list due to carbonation. Also, liquids that are red, orange or purple are often forbidden as their color is hard to distinguish from other bodily fluids like blood. Jello is a clear liquid although maybe not a food : ). Ask your DR what's in his list. Broth, apple juice, water, Gatorade make the list. I am addicted to diet Pepsi; it was on my first post op food tray. This is all dependent on what your DR wants and the type of surgery you are having. Weight-wise, I'm down about 30lbs since my hyster on 10/20; about 12lbs was my uterus though so lost really about 15lbs. Good luck to you and happy healing.
Unread 02-17-2012, 04:30 PM

my surgery date is march 26, but i think i am really dreading the liquid diet more than the surgery! my daughter is expecting my first granchild so im thinking maybe i can just stay busy all day fixing the nursery the day before surgery to keep my mind off all the things i cant eat or drink
Unread 02-17-2012, 09:13 PM

I would check with your doctor about the liquid diet pre-op instructions.

I have to do bowel prep with liquid diet the day before. My list says I can have sodas (carbonated or not) as well as black coffee. I have to drink 2-32 oz bottles of Gatorade (one with Miralax) and I can pick any flavor so I guess my doc doesn't care about the colors in the liquids. In fact, he suggested I get two different flavors because I'd be so sick of the first one! I'm sure he'll be right. I can also have Popsicles and jello.

I asked if I could have miso soup but he said no. Also no pulp in juice.

I am going to be soooo hungry.
Unread 02-17-2012, 10:49 PM

think i am going to ask if i can have soda when i go for preop appt, if i can then this will be a breeze, i can make it fine without the food but i can already feel tghe withdrawls from the diet soda, lol
Unread 02-18-2012, 10:19 AM

The caffeine thing really is an issue. Try and schedule your surgery first thing so it won't bug you when you wake up. I had apple juice, coffee and a diet Pepsi on my tray as soon as I was alert : )

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register