Scheduled for a Lap | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Scheduled for a Lap Scheduled for a Lap

Unread 03-09-2004, 07:35 PM
Scheduled for a Lap

March 30th at 1pm I go in for a laparoscopy to look for and remove any and all adhesions caused by Endo. I've never had this type of surgery before but I am familiar with the proceedure. I've never really had any major surgery at all except for oral surgery 5 years ago which they had to put me under for.
Im wondering how I will feel afterwards and how long it will take to recover. The oral surgery was very extensive and took about a year to fully heal from. I hope this is not going to take as long. I've heard it has a short recovery period but i want to know what everyone here went through when they had it. Anything you can tell me would be helpful such as how you felt, what you needed to be comfortable,did you need bedrest and for how long, just anything you feel I should know. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-09-2004, 07:42 PM
Scheduled for a Lap

Hi Velmakelly,

First of all, what has your gyn told you to expect with regard to your recovery? Usually your doc will tell you how many days work you should be prepared to miss, how long recovery will take, etc.

When I had diagnostic lap surgery a number of years ago, it was done on Saturday and I went back to work on Monday. I was tender, of course, but my job was not strenuous.

When I had a lap myomectomy 3 years ago I missed one week of work but the full recovery took about 6 weeks. That surgery was done on a outpatient basis too.

So much depends on the extent of your endo and adhsions. And each of us handles surgery a bit differently. I'm assuming this will be an outpatient procedure, is that right? And will you have a follow up appointment with your gyn after a couple of weeks or so?

Keep us posted on any additional information that you get from your gyn. I truly hope this will relieve your pain.

Beth
Unread 03-09-2004, 07:51 PM
Scheduled for a Lap

Well, he gave me this pamphlet to look over and told me it was an outpatient procedure. All the pamphlet said was "short recovery time, we'll make this that and the other incision.." etc etc. Stuff I already knew. I go in on the 23rd to get all my instructions and pre op orders and it should contain more info about the lap and how long i'll be sidelined. One thing I didn't understand was the pamphlet said one of the side effects of it was shoulder pain?! where does that come from? I had never heard of that one before. Do you have a nerve in your pelvis that also runs through your shoulder? It just struck me funny for some reason

I'll try to give you more info as i get it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-09-2004, 08:02 PM
Scheduled for a Lap

Hi Velmakelly,
As ((Beth)) pointed out it depends on the extensivness of them to determine the recovery There have been many gals here who have underwent similar procedures . You can use our search feature <located above> to seek out posts from other members asking or sharing the same concerns.
I picked a few from our Resources Database that contain info on this, perhaps they can help you in discovering more of what is actually involved with this...

Adhesions, Postoperative Adhesions, Post-operative Adhesions, Post operative

Laparoscopic Lysis of Adhesions

Article on Adhesions

Hope these are of some help!! I'm sure others will also come along & share some more personal experiences..Good Luck! I do hope this can bring you some much needed relief Pls keep us posted.......(((((((((((hugs))))))))))
Unread 03-09-2004, 09:09 PM
Scheduled for a Lap

velmakelly--

Actually, one of the symptoms of ectopic pregnancy is shoulder pain, so I guess there is a neural connection there...
Unread 03-10-2004, 03:55 AM
Scheduled for a Lap

Velma,

Shoulder pain can be caused by the gas they use to inflate your abdomen during this procedure. That's one of the primary causes of possible shoulder pain post op.

Best of luck to you.

Beth
Unread 03-10-2004, 08:32 AM
Scheduled for a Lap

I had a Laparaoscopy in May of 2003. My Dr. told me I would need at least a week off of work and that it would be done as an outpatient.

He found Severe Stage IV Endo and had to remove both of my tubes during this procedure. I happened to have my period at the time which showed that I had Retrograde Mensturation. (Blood flowed "Back Up" and into my abdomen).

So my outpatient turned into Inpaitent for 3 days. I was home for 2 weeks (didn't help that he "Nicked" a gastro artery and had to stitch it up that added to the pain). I began Lupron injections in the hospital and that contributed to my prolonged recovery.

I honestly think had it gone "Smoothly" as he "Anticipated" (without the "Nick") that I would have been fine with a week off.

Oh, and those little incisions... The scars are barely there now. Only one that stayed was a little on in my belly button (Now called the Black Hole) from the drain.

Good Luck!
Unread 03-10-2004, 08:47 AM
Scheduled for a Lap

The shoulder pain is from the gas hitting the phrenic nerve (which regulates the diaphragm), irritating it. That nerve also radiates up to the shoulder.

I've had a few laps in my time, and the minimum time off, even for the diagnostic ones, was a full week -- but then I had a job where I was pushing 400+ lbs ultrasound equipment.

Hope you get some answers, and that it goes well for you!

Audrey
Unread 03-10-2004, 07:29 PM
Scheduled for a Lap

My last lap was done on a Thursday and I was back at work on Monday. I didn't have alot of pain, more of discomfort. I've had cramps alot worse. Moved a little slower for a few days.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register