Did Anyone CHOOSE to have their Ovaries Removed? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Did Anyone CHOOSE to have their Ovaries Removed? Did Anyone CHOOSE to have their Ovaries Removed?

Unread 03-20-2010, 03:17 AM
Did Anyone CHOOSE to have their Ovaries Removed?

I am seriously debating whether or not to have my ovaries removed when I have my hysterectomy. At my preop appt the Doctor and I talked about leaving the ovaries if they are healthy. However, I have had a lot of trouble with ovarian cysts and am wondering if I should go ahead and have them removed, as I had heard that post-hysterectomy the cysts can become worse. I just want to be pain free and avoid another surgery. Also, I will be unable to take HRT and will have to opt for Natural relief of menopausal symptoms. Any suggestions, comments, or personal stories that may help me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-20-2010, 03:24 AM
Re: Did Anyone CHOOSE to have their Ovaries Removed?

I really thought about it but ultimately left the decision up to my doctor to see what they looked like once she got in there.
I understand your concerns and your issues with cysts. But you say that you want to be "pain free and avoid another surgery". Please just let me say that if it's not absolutely necessary that you have them removed, it is best that you keep them. You can't put them back once they're gone.
Your wanting to be pain free and avoid another surgery was EXACTLY what I told my doctor my concern was. I didn't want to deal with the heartbreak of going through with the hysterectomy only for the pain to return. She reassured me that if after the hysterectomy I decided that I wanted to have them removed that she would do it with no questions asked.
I told her I didn't want to even THINK about having to have another surgery.
She again reassured me...
Having your ovaries out can be done laparoscopically and only takes about 15 minutes!
So please, really think about the pros and cons!
Good luck on your decision and your surgery!
Unread 03-20-2010, 03:57 AM

Hello
I really wanted my ovaries saved when I had my hysterectomy, however 4 months later I developed a mass on the right on and had major abdo surgery. The left one was OK so that was saved, however 6 months later it had developed into a 20 cm ovarian tumour, so again more major abdo surgery.

I still haven't come to terms with all this surgery and the effect it has had on my life.

I thought I was over all the abdo pain, but again it's back.

I found it very traumatic going in to surgical menopause.
Sorry I do not have words of comfort.
SAMMY
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-20-2010, 06:09 AM

I chose to have my ovaries removed. It's something I really had to think about for a very long time. What pretty much convinced me was the fact that I could get ovarian cancer even after I had a hysterectomy. I just didn't want to take that risk. I am 44 and do not have children and wasn't planning on having any.

I do take HRT and it hasn't been that bad. Getting the right does for my body chemistry was the biggest challenge for me.

All the best to you.

Jean
Unread 03-20-2010, 11:45 AM

(((Piper40))) If you already know you cannot use HRT, do not choose to remove your healthy ovaries. You may be very, very sorry you did, and once they're gone you can't put them back. Yes, there are "natural", "herbal" remedies to supposedly address symptoms but most women in surgical menopause do not find that they provide adequate relief.

Have you talked with an endocrinologist about your cysts? Perhaps there is something they can give you to help with that so that you can still comfortably benefit from your ovarian hormone production for years to come?

I chose to have mine removed at the time of my hysterectomy, but I'm not 100% sure I'd make the same choice if I had it to do over. I am on HRTs, but they are very expensive, as are the collection of vitamins and supplements I need to take to feel like myself and keep healthy. In addition, I have been diagnosed twice with breast cancer since my hyst and had to fight with my first oncologist about staying on HRTs - and I am one who cannot function without them because of the severity of the symptoms.

There are substantial long-term health risks to being without ovarian hormones, particularly estrogen... and these greatly outweigh the very small risk of ovarian cancer. Unless you have genetic risk factors that elevate your chances of getting ovarian cancer, I would urge you to consider keeping your ovaries.

s,
-Linda
Unread 03-20-2010, 06:22 PM

I had my vaginal ultrasound, it showed several cysts on my left ovary and a large cysts on my right. My right side causes "discomfort" 24/7. Both ovaries are "large".

It is my understand that the right one will be removed, and if the left one looks good it will stay. Have a feeling both will go.

Going to give a "shot" at not taking hormones if this happens.
I know several women that do not take them...so that gives me some hope.
Unread 03-20-2010, 07:01 PM

I did as I have a 20 year history of endometriosis, cysts and ectopics.
I'm 7 days post op & I don't regret it at all. I have started on Vivelle patch, so not sure if that is making a difference rather than natural, alternative methods.

Best of luck to you!
Unread 03-20-2010, 07:01 PM

Piper40,
I chose to have mine removed. I hadn't had a period in over 6 years because of uterine ablation, but I still had horrible mid-month pain and PMS which was getting worse. The day of my surgery, my doctor came in and said she wasn't sure she wanted to remove my ovaries because it would put me in surgical menopause and because I've had a previous blood clot, I wouldn't be able to take any HRT's (I was aware of that already). I told her I didn't care I wanted them out as I was tired of the pain. She agreed with me because she said if she didn't I'd probably be back in a year to have them out (not sure why she said that, but I wasn't coming back for another surgery in a year).

I have not taken any HRT's and have not had hardly any menopausal symptoms to speak of. I had hot flashes mostly in the evening for the first 6 weeks or so, but once I went back to work I hardly ever get them. I don't have mood swings, crying spells, or any of the other many menopausal symptoms and am very grateful! I'm thinking my body knows it can't have HRT's so it's being nice to me ! While I have read otherwise, my doctor told me if I was going to have symptoms I would have had them within a couple of days post op. I'm almost 10 weeks out now and am very happy that I no longer have any pain and no more headaches either. It's a personal decision, and I was perimenopausal, but I don't regret it. Good luck with your decision and surgery. Whatever decision you make will be right for you.
Unread 03-20-2010, 07:16 PM

I am 44 and wanted no part of going into surgical menopause, so I asked my doc to only take them if he saw something wrong. He said they looked great, and he "tacked" them up where he can get to them easily if he needs to in the future.

I absolutely made the right decision for me. My gut was screaming at me to keep them, and I'm glad I did. I have had no symptoms of them "sleeping" or shutting down, and I hope that they keep on truckin' for another decade or more.

If I do have to have them out some time, I am not the least bit concerned. My surgery was way easier than I thought it would be, and I wouldn't hesitate to go back in for another one if necessary.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register