Having period | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Having period Having period

Unread 10-20-2004, 12:50 PM
Having period

Hi Everyone, My first time here and posting. My surgery has been postponed 2 times now and I am so scare that waiting once more, it will be postponed because of my period, I know alot of the posts I read about this said they do it any way but my Doctor said she would not do it because of the risk for infection and bleeding, Iam scheduled for Nov. 9th has any body else had their Doctor say that? Thanks ,you guys are great!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-20-2004, 12:52 PM
Having period

Hi Randi,
I had mine and my surgery went ahead as planned. I did not think they would postpone due to a silly thing like a period but then it may vary from doctor to doctor. Some women on here never stopped bleeding and had thier surgeries. I hope it goes ahead and all is fine.....
Take care
Kat
Unread 10-20-2004, 02:33 PM
Having period

Hi Randi,
My surgery went ahead - if the doc refused to do mine because I was on a period I would never have got it done! I started a period on 1st January and was still bleeding very heavily on March 26 (despite taking medication to stop it) when I went down to surgery.
Hope you go ahead this time.
All the best and wishing you a speedy recovery.
Chrissy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-20-2004, 04:41 PM
Having period

I had asked my doctor about this very thing when I scheduled my surgery since it falls right around the time of my period and he said it was no problem (scheduled for 11/3).

I guess it all depends on the doctor though.
Unread 10-20-2004, 04:45 PM
Having period

I had mine. When I told my Dr he looked at me and laughed. He said "what do I care were about to stop that permently". But I guess it depends on the Dr. It may also depend on type of surgery I really don't know. Sorry
Unread 10-20-2004, 06:14 PM
Having period

Hi Randi,

I was flooding when I had my surgery (TAH) . I asked my Dr. if my period would stop the surgery - she basically said that with some women if they waited for the flow to stop - they would never have a hysterectomy.

At the time of my surgery I was on week 3 of my period - with no end in sight. I was literally bleeding through a super plus tampon every hour. It was so nice to use the bathroom the day after my hyster - and only have a slight discharge.

Good Luck ~

Love,Light,Blessings,
Michelle
Unread 10-20-2004, 06:16 PM
Having period

Randi,
I had my period when I went in for surgery too. For alot of us, we always had our periods. My Dr didn't care that I had my period, she said she would take care of that!
I will pray for you, that your surgery will go on as scheduled.

Nancy
Unread 10-20-2004, 09:29 PM
Having period

Hi Randi

You're the first Sister I've heard of saying doctor won't operate if they're having their period. Some Sisters have surgery because their periods never end. As Monica said, I'd be asking her how having your period makes you more prone to infection and post op bleeding. I'd also be getting a second opinion if you end up getting postponed again.

Good luck to you.
s
Cat

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register