to figure out much stuff.... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

to figure out much stuff.... to figure out much stuff....

Unread 10-03-2003, 10:04 AM
to figure out much stuff....

Hi all -

Found you all and have been reading. I have not found anyone, yet, who resembles what I am facing. I am perimenopausal AND bipolar. It's been about 5-6 nasty years. A psychiatrist has been working very very hard on my very unique and unusual situation, which has been terrible stormy depressive periods and in-between episodes, which have altered my life and ability to cope. We both felt since I have polycystic ovaries, endometriosis, and fibroids, why not just get a hyst and end this whacky cycling of not just bleeding and pain and all that, but more inhibiting: these incredible lows. The gyno is totally in favor. An educated patient deserves what she wants. The psychiatrist is female and has had one; had all the other stuff, too, well, not bipolar, but cervical cancer, fibroids, etc. She recommends it! So the gyno took me off Prometrium and put me on a patch (Vivelle dot) and we scheduled a date for Dec. 29. The thing is, NOW I have NO MOOD DIPS, miracle of miracles. No more pain, no more excessive bleeding. The worst thing is gooey brown drippy stuff for about 5-7 more days after my official "period" is over. I have had 9 weeks of good mood, confidence, and even a returning sense of humor FOR THE FIRST TIME IN YEARS!!!! But, apparently I am dealing with big time risks associated with "unopposed" estrogen. We quit the prometrium since I'd be doing the surgery. Heck, we thought, if I get endometrial cancer in 4 months, then I'm having a hyst anyway! But now it seems ridiculous to have one, given how I'm feeling, both physically and mentally. How do I weigh living with the risks and having what now feels like "unnecessary" surgery. What ARE the risks? Unknown? 40 years to live? 2? Is it imminent if I don't take the prometrium? From what both the gyn and psych say, NO ONE really knows because NO ONE will mess with the unopposed estrogen routine. It carries all this risk. But I ask...anyone.....the moods were so low and always going lower - the risks for suicide and/or the end to my marriage were becoming far greater.

I know no one here is an M.D. I HAVE READ THE RULES METICULOUSLY. It is just that I am looking for anyone who might steer me in the direction of doing some further research, etc.

I would appreciate anything anyone, on this forum or privately, might like to share with me.

Feeling well for once -
Luv-Irish_music
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-03-2003, 12:26 PM

Welcome Luv-Irish-Music

First: I am glad you are here. The best thing you can do for yourself is learn everything you can Knowledge IS Power.

Second: I have seen Bi-polars go for months on new meds with strangely wonderful results!

And I have seen them crash and burn. (that is too heart breaking )

I wouldn't and couldn't begin to give you advice-this is too big for me BUT why don't you contact the psych docs at one of your local universities- or find out who is doing current research in Bi-polar disorder and lay out the situation for them....go to the top and be a nice pest until you get answer....

Yours is a really delicate situation-cuz you never know when the manic highs will come back or will it be the devastating suicidal lows....yikes!

Don't stop asking questings---push your psych doctor for more answers- get him to do more homework, push the gyn for more answers, get him to do his homework too....good luck

And keep us posted, I will really be interested.

dilu
Unread 10-03-2003, 05:21 PM

Hi As (((Dilu))) said, we can't give you advice... but we can provide listening ears, strong shoulders and access to lots of information and the experiences of many, many women who have gone before you.

We have had ladies here before who have been bipolar and gone through a hysterectomy/BSO. If you do a search on this site on the word "bipolar" you will come up with lots of threads relating the experiences of others... I've seen several recently in the Hormone Jungle forum, for example.

I'm curious... why did your DR not have you continue the Prometrium with the Vivelle dot? That way you'd be at less risk for endometrial proliferation. It sounds like your body needs estrogen (whose doesn't ) but because of the endo you're right, you do take a risk of the endo getting worse if you stay on unopposed estrogen.

If you do decide to stay on the unopposed estrogen, I don't think it's a given that you'd definitely develop endometrial cancer. However, endo itself can be quite painful depending on where it decides to attach itself. For example, we've had quite a few ladies here with awful GI troubles because of endo on their bowels.

Have you found our Resources forums yet? They are down at the bottom of the Forums list page, and there is tons of great information in there about endo. I urge you to read and research as much as you can, and even contact some of the ladies who've had hysts with bipolar disorder to see how they're doing on HRT after their hysts... since it sounds like the surgery is not an emergency and it is also not reversible if you decide later that you may have made a mistake. Be SURE that it is what you need and want before agreeing to it; that way you will be committed to the outcome in a way that is difficult if you're really not sure you should be doing it.

Best of luck in whatever you decide.
s,
-Linda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-03-2003, 07:00 PM

So happy u brought this up...I was going to post something in the hormone area but have not yet.

I am 29 yrs old.

I had a TAH/BSO on 9/15 I am Bi-Polar and have not
have not yet taken any of my estrogen medication yet and am going to try not too (thought that may not be realistic). I would love some input regarfing hormones and bi polar disorder as well. My doc approved me to take my meds during and after surgery and has not mentioned any problems with this yet.....

Just wanted to let you know....there are others out here!!!

Be a good princess.

Best of luck to you,
Shawnie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register