Surgery tomorrow....nervous as heck! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Surgery tomorrow....nervous as heck! Surgery tomorrow....nervous as heck!

Unread 05-08-2012, 08:22 PM
Surgery tomorrow....nervous as heck!

Hello Sisters....Going in for Surgery tomorrow at 3pm Nothing to eat or drink after 7am. Still very nervous. Trying to think positive, but finding it hard to do so. Worried about, being put under, changes in my body after surgery, and not being able to do anything around the house (4 kids).. I have heard so many different stories that I am kind of confused now. One thing I am most confused about is post op libido. I have heard really bad horror stories. I'm 40 and have no issues with that at all right now. I am having LSH with uterus and tubes removed only. Anyone here 40 that has had the same procedure with stories would be great.

Thanks for the ear...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-08-2012, 08:33 PM
Re: Surgery tomorrow....nervous as heck!

Oh, also... does anyone know how long the procedure should take? I forgot to ask my doctor and the nurse told me 3 hrs... From what I read, I see about 1 and 1/2 hrs
Unread 05-08-2012, 08:48 PM

I am 45 had my hyster on April 27 th and I can tell you that a naughty text from my honey still gave me the as
Same " thrill" as always ;-) The desire is definitely still there
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-08-2012, 11:47 PM

Hi Silly Monkey,
I'll be thinking of you tomorrow as I go in for my surgery at 11:00 PST...hafta be to hospital by 9:00 am. Was supposed to have it done on Friday, but Dr bumped it up due to a schedule change on her end. Can't sleep...a nervous wreck, like you. The fear of the unknown is the worst part for me. Like: will I wake up from the general? Will my Dr have a steady hand, or will she cut something she's not supposed to? Ack! Too much to worry about, and I know I have no control, sigh. For some weird reason, it's comforting to know you'll be having yours tomorrow too...like, I'm not the only one. Thanks for sharing. Also, my Dr said it will take about 1 & a half hours. Thank goodness we get to sleep a lot after this as I don't see much sleep happening tonight. All the best to you! Kris
Unread 05-09-2012, 02:27 AM

My surgery isn't until Friday and I already can't sleep I've been awake since 2am and my tummy is all in knots. I wish you guys good luck tomorrow and a speedy pain free recovery.
Unread 05-09-2012, 06:40 AM

Not sure what lsh is but I had a uterus/tubes removed by davinci on April 13th. I'm 41. Now looking back I can remember being so nervous. My surgery took 5 1/2 hrs. It was suppose to take 3 but had complications. I had to stay 2 days in hospital and was suppose to be outpaient. But since I came home evrything has been great. Very little pain (I took only advil since day 2). After the first week you feel very Friday will be week 4 and I feel great. I have been at work since week 1. Just don't plan on wearing your regular clothes due to swelly belly. But just know I will be thinking about you all and waiting is the hardest part. After the wait you will be thinking what was I worrying about. I love my new and improved life. Oh yeah almost forgot sex is great. I called my sister and told her first thing after so happy its not broke everything works just fine .
Unread 05-09-2012, 08:24 AM

Hi sister--I had my LSH last Friday, 5/4. I'm 48 with 4 kids (3 of them teens). I was also extremely nervous about same things as you. It was my first surgery. As it turned out, I asked all the questions to the anesthesiologist and mentioned anti nausea medicine and he assured me it would be fine. When I got to OR, I remember him putting IV in my arm & 30 secs after I was out. I woke up in recovery very groggy in and out for a few hours. My fibroid ended up being larger, 14cm, than originally thought so surgery took a little longer but I didn't know a thing obviously. My poor husband just had to wait it out. He took time off from work, and between him and my 16 yr old daughter, they have been taking care of me & everything else. However, I can't stand feeling helpless and I walked around a little too much yesterday. I think I pushed it. Staying in bed today... can't rush recovery... baby steps.

I'm the biggest chicken when it comes to needles, surgery, etc., I am Sooo happy it's finally over & the best thing I ever did (just to pee again like normal was so worth it!). Haven't addressed libido yet- need to wait the 6 wks before sex.

Good luck! Try not to stress! and I will be praying for you...hang in there and talk yourself thru it. It will be over with by tomorrow!
Unread 05-09-2012, 08:43 AM

Hi SillyMonkey - I'm 40 and had surgery on 23 April. My surgery was 2 hours, cried my eyes out in the recovery room before they wheeled me into theatre but the hospital staff was amazing and comforting, even allowed my husband to stay with me until I fell asleep. I even asked them to take a photo of my uterus when it's removed, and they did...

It's week 3 of my recovery and I have not attempted the deed as yet but I have to admit, the smell of husband and the just his touch sends butterflies through me causing the milky discharge when one is aroused... asked my doc if the discharge is normal and he said it the vagina reaction for sexual stimulation... so I'm thinking... we still got it going on and cannot wait for week 6 to do the monkey business (sorry for the pun!!)

All the best with your surgery, stay positive, don't read the scary stories and remember - recovery is mind over matter. And rest, rest, rest.... pack away the supermom cape for now.

Good luck - mwahs
Unread 05-09-2012, 09:45 AM

SillyMonkeyS, i'm going in tomorrow also. I've done ALOT of reading and from what i've read you shouldn't have any issues with decrease in libido/vag dryness etc as that is all hormone regulated and you're keeping your ovaries. the only thing that might happen is that it might take a little time for your ovaries to "wake up" after surgery and you might need to use lube the first couple times. I know I hold nothing back (wink) try not to think too much on it, just do what's in your control...for example...drink as much water as you can today, it'll help make the IV easier to go in and keeping your mind on water and going potty every 30min (like i'm doing now...lol) helps keep your mind off surgery. Good luck pre-princess, and let us know how your crown fits!!
Unread 05-09-2012, 12:27 PM

THANK THANK THANK you!!!!! To everyone that replied It really helps to hear other people are in the same boat as me, with all the thoughts and questions...Leaving in 5 mins for the hospital... Still a little nervous, like a c-section for the first time (not knowing what to expect) with no baby after the surgery Will be thinking about all the other surgeries today.. Think vacation when they tell you to go to a happy place, warm tropical beaches..hehe
I will check back in when I'm home!
Good day Sisters!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register