I'm sick & surgery is less than 2 weeks away | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I'm sick & surgery is less than 2 weeks away I'm sick & surgery is less than 2 weeks away

Unread 04-04-2007, 07:26 AM
I'm sick & surgery is less than 2 weeks away

Does anyone know if there are any drawbacks to taking an antibiotic for a sinusitis so close to my surgery date? I always get one of these and teh only thing to do is take an antibiotic to zap it. I feel so run down.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-04-2007, 07:40 AM

i'd call the surgeons office and ask, but i doubt it. also, let your anesthesiologist know the morning of the surgery. good luck and i hope you feel better
Unread 04-04-2007, 07:52 AM

Hi Sunflowers!

I was actually in urgent care this past Saturday. I picked up bronchitis & am an asthmatic so it's not something I could let go. I went to a doc who works with the docs doing my surgery & told him I was having surgery on the 10th. He put me on a Z-pack (Zithromax). He said I would be good to go for surgery & I was only 10 days out when I went in. You should have plenty of time. I called my gyn's office on Monday & told them what's going on. The nurse said if the chest x-rays I had on Friday (at pre-op) showed anything, she'd tell the doc I was seen for bronchitis & on antibiotics. Didn't make any big deal out of it. I was reassured by the urgent care that it would take more than where I was at to have them cancel the procedures.

I'd talk to your surgeon & see what they want you to do for sure. I'm SO glad I went in - I'm feeling 100 times better now & ready for the 10th!!

Best wishes to you!
Sue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-04-2007, 08:00 AM

Oh, forgot to add what the urgent care doc said about the antibiotic. He said the double edge to the antiobiotic was that while it kills the bad bacteria, it also kills our body's good bacteria which the body uses to protect itself. He actually had me hold off on starting meds till A) I got worse (which happened on Sunday - lung functions dropped to 60%) or B) if I hadn't improved by Monday. So, in my case, killing the "good" bacteria was less risk to my surgery than letting the bronchitis get deeper into the lungs & making me sicker. Would've made recovery harder if they didn't postpone surgery. Hope this helps! Again, I'd definitely talk to your surgeon's office & follow their instructions.

Good luck!
Sue

P.S. Hope you feel better! I've dealt with sinus problems for years & it's NOT fun!!
Unread 04-04-2007, 05:43 PM

It shouldn't be a problem, but I would see your doctor and not just take them on your own. I hope you feel better soon!

I would eat some yogurt to build up your "good" bacterial flora again.
Unread 04-04-2007, 05:50 PM

I just started an antibiotic yesterday for a sinus infection 11 days out from my surgery. My asthma also flares when I get sick, so the Gyn. said I needed to take the meds and get better, it would not affect the surgery. I also have managed to end up with bacterial vaginosis so we are trying to kill all the nasty germs! I just keep praying my period doesn't randomly start while I am using the gel for the b.v.
Unread 04-04-2007, 06:09 PM

I got sick(strep)14 days before my surgery. I took 10 days of Omnicef and was fine to have surgery. My dr said "no big deal". As long as your dr knows about it, it should be fine! Good luck to all of you! The waiting is definately the worst part!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register