New here and lots of questions (sex related) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

New here and lots of questions (sex related) New here and lots of questions (sex related)

Unread 01-19-2012, 08:32 AM
New here and lots of questions (sex related)

My doctor is going to be taking my cervix and uterus...hoping to leave my ovaries. When he does this and I won't have a cervix....how does this affect my sexual relationship??

Is my canal shorter?? I am worried about that because he just fits now...I don't want it to hurt.

Will I still have "natural lubrication"?

Will my sex drive go away??? Will I want to have sex?

Will it feel good or will I just be doing it for him?

If they take this out will the rest of my insides shift around and make me look different? Pouch?

I know I have a million more questions....but I'm so scared and I'm only 29. I don't want my sex life to change drastically.

Thanks in advance for any answers....I'm so scared!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-19-2012, 08:56 AM
Re: New here and lots of questions (sex related)

Welcome! I hope this site is as helpful to you as it was to me.

The vaginal length question might be one for your doctor. As for the rest - while some women have sexual function problems after hysterectomy, I believe that is not the norm.

Your vagina provides natural lubrication, but if you find that isn't enough, there are some good products on the market. So far, my natural lube has been just fine.

My sex drive has increased and I definitely want to have sex. Many other sisters here say the same. For many of us it's better now than before surgery for the simple fact that pain and perpetual bleeding is neither sexy nor romantic and puts a real damper on mood. After hyster this is no longer a problem for most.

And if feels good! Different, but still good - at least for me. Others say the same.

Other organs will adjust and fill the void left by the uterus. Whether you 'pooch' or not depends on your muscle tone. BUT - you will most likely suffer from the dreaded 'swelly belly' for a while. It's a surgery thing that passes with time.

Surgery can be a scary thing and questions are expected - that's what we are here for. Come back often.

(((HUGS)))
Unread 01-19-2012, 09:04 AM

Thanks so much! I'm so emotional right now....it's nice to have a place to come and ask questions and get REAL answers! I feel like 29 is too soon to have this done....but I've already had my children and I don't really need it anymore....I'm hoping I will finally feel normal once I heal. Thanks so much! I love this site and all of the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-19-2012, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by epetronella View Post
Thanks so much! I'm so emotional right now....it's nice to have a place to come and ask questions and get REAL answers! I feel like 29 is too soon to have this done....but I've already had my children and I don't really need it anymore....I'm hoping I will finally feel normal once I heal. Thanks so much! I love this site and all of the help!
Hello Epetronell,
Please do not worry, I am 55 and had my surgery in October everything was taken and I was really worried like you, turns out I worried for nothing I really worked myself and my DH up into a state and none of my worries came to pass, recovery was very very easy had no pain to speak of only took Ibuprofen did not need any narcotics, once I was cleared for sex I worried again for no reason I went out and bought Lubricant turns out I did not need it ( wasted $6 ) LOL !! but I was worried about being dry, yes sex is different but good and finally NO PAIN !!! that is the best part, I avoided sex for years because of the pain, I am lucky my Husband never left me now Hubby is like a kid in a candy store and all he talks about is sex Life will be good for you after this surgery - GO FOR IT !!! the best is yet to come trust me. Hubby and I are very happy and I just regret not doing this years ago when my Doctor first suggested it.
Good LUCK, Sister sending blessigs your way.
Unread 01-19-2012, 11:25 AM

Hey im 27 and am 11 n half wks post tah. I had my cervix removed. For me the sex is alot better not shortned and dont need extra lubrication. I felt the same as you being so young to have it done. There are risks but ive not met anyone who it has affected only made it alot better xxx
Unread 01-19-2012, 12:20 PM

Thank you everyone.

JackieJ43--Thanks! Good to know that it wasn't that bad!!! I hope I have the same experience you had :-) I'm hoping sex will be better....and won't hurt anymore :-) Glad to hear all of this....I always work myself up....I get so scared! LOL

Laura-Thank you for the info....glad to know it can be better.

I love this board!!!!
Unread 01-19-2012, 12:41 PM

You are not the only one that has had these questions...it is very common!

I'm happy to say that my sex life drastically improved after my hysterectomy. No more pain!!! I don't feel like the canal is any shorter, my sex drive went through the roof, I did have to use some lubrication for the first few times after I was cleared for sex, but after that, my natural lubricant came back, so that is definitely not an issue. I also find that my orgasms are better than ever before...more intense and more of them!!!

Unfortunately, there are some women that experience some sort of dysfunction after hysterectomy, but I really think there are more success stories!!

I'm sure you will be fine!! to you!!

I hope your surgery goes well, you have a smooth recovery, and you can be added to the list of success stories!!

to you!!
Unread 01-19-2012, 02:49 PM

The more I read about the good things to come after this surgery the better I am feeling!!!

You are all an amazing bunch of women.....very strong!

Thanks!
Unread 01-19-2012, 05:30 PM

I'm 3.5 weeks post op and have not been cleared for intercourse yet. However I was cleared for outercourse since my one week post op appt. I have not had any issue having orgasms and they have been as good as before surgery.
Unread 01-20-2012, 07:35 PM

Totally understand all your questions! Isn't it wonderful to have a place to ask?!? Remember we are all a bit different, I can only answer on my expierence....

Dr explained canal would be slightly shorter, I cannot tell the difference.

Yes, natural lubrication, likely more.

Sex drive has double or tripled, I'm no longer in pain and able to enjoy, *anytime*.

Yes, enjoy much more.

I look no different, and can't tell where anything was shifted around or "missing".

Ask away, its what we're here for! :-)

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register