Pre-Op Hysterectomy: Open House Chat Thread - Today Jul 12, 2015 - Page 4 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Closed Thread

Pre-Op Hysterectomy: Open House Chat Thread - Today Jul 12, 2015 Pre-Op Hysterectomy: Open House Chat Thread - Today Jul 12, 2015

Unread 07-12-2015, 01:36 PM
Re: Pre-Op Hysterectomy: Open House Chat Thread - Today Jul 12, 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoulderLady View Post
Hi Everyone,
I'm scheduled for the robot on Friday, removing my uterus, cervix and tubes because of a "basket" of fibroids, the largest of which is the size of a grapefruit and has squeezed my bladder into the shape of a peanut, according to the MRI I had to see if I was a candidate for focused ultrasound. I am extremely nervous for just about every reason everyone else is, and I wish it were over with already. I've been getting lots of acupuncture in preparation, and my acupuncturist is making a house call once I get home.

I found something that has really helped, and I'd like to share it. It's Bellruth Naperstek's Guided Meditation for Successful Surgery, available on her website Health Journeys. I used this about 15 years ago for spinal fusion surgery, and it really worked well for me, helping with anxiety. Still, I am so much looking forward to the Versed.

I'm grateful for this forum and particularly for all the advice and encouragement!
Thank you for sharing that information BoulderLady, I am going to have to check out that website, it sounds great. It is very understandable to be nervous at this time, but you are going to be so relieved when this is over, in just a few days. See you on the other side, very soon!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-12-2015, 01:40 PM
Pre-Op Hysterectomy: Open House Chat Thread - Today Jul 12, 2015

Hello Ladies... My name is Erica a.k.a. LadiiBug and I am 30years old. I'm having my hysterectomy Tuesday July 14th, and I'm sort of experiencing a loss. I've had 3 beautiful daughters with my husband. I don't have any biological sons. Strangely enough, I had a tubal ligation last spring but this makes child bearing so final. I can't undo this. Although I don't want any more children, I'm sad.

I also am having sexual challenges because of why I'm having the hysterectomy (adenomyosis), and I'm afraid I'll never be sexual again. I'm only having a partial, but what if I'm too dry? What if I have no desire? What if it still hurts? I just don't know....
Unread 07-12-2015, 01:44 PM

Hi, I am 41 years old and I am having my hysterectomy in the morning at 11am due to fibroids and excessive bleeding. Very nervous but trying to stay busy. What concerns me is the gas pains afterwards. Some people say they hurt in their shoulders and chest. I have heard walking helps but what other things can you do? Would taking something for gas help such as gas-x? Thanks and positive thoughts and prayers going out to everyone who has surgery this week!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-12-2015, 01:48 PM

Hi there,
I had the same question about the gas pains. The nurse at my surgeon's office said that it's helpful to get someone to massage your shoulders where it hurts, which breaks up the gas, and then walk around if you can, to get it out. I figure it's as good an excuse as any to get a shoulder rub. She said I could take GasX as well.
Good luck!
Unread 07-12-2015, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrancis View Post
Hello,
I am a 42 year old mother of 2 (ages 10 & 14) and having a Da Vinci hysterectomy tomorrow morning (leaving ovaries) for excessive bleeding and fibroids (had uterine ablasian 5 years ago and it didn't work). So there will be 4 laparoscopic entry points. I have had 2 Caesarian sections. My doctor said this is a bit worse (more painful/invasive) than c-sections. I don't remember a ton of pain with the c-sections, probably because I had a baby to distract me (it's also been 10 years). I'm wondering how long I will be in great pain (requiring pain meds) with this surgery. Also, how much more pain than a c-section? When can I get back to normal activities? Any ideas? Also, I will be on my period tomorrow for the surgery (gross, I know) and am wondering if that will complicate things. Thanks!
Hi, I am 41 and I am also having a da Vinci hysterectomy in the morning due to fibroids. I do not have children and no major surgeries. I am also concerned about getting back to normal activities. We need to stay in touch. Sending best wishes and positive thoughts your way!
Unread 07-12-2015, 02:00 PM

Hi! I am a 43 year old mother and wife. I am having LTH on July 15th due to fibroids. I have been waiting for this day to come since April, but as the day approaches I get more and more anxious. The part that bothers me the most is being put under. I am just looking forward to being on the other side and recovering!
Unread 07-12-2015, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Hi there,
I had the same question about the gas pains. The nurse at my surgeon's office said that it's helpful to get someone to massage your shoulders where it hurts, which breaks up the gas, and then walk around if you can, to get it out. I figure it's as good an excuse as any to get a shoulder rub. She said I could take GasX as well.
Good luck!
Thanks for the advice! I will definitely show this to my husband. Love a good shoulder rub! Best wishes to you!
Unread 07-12-2015, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcar View Post
Hi all-
I just turned 43 and have suspected adenomyosis and a "wavy" uterus that has been causing pretty steady pain. My DvH is scheduled for July 15. Had to stop running at the start of the year and finally by beginning of May i couldn't take it anymore and went to my doc. Hard to eat right now bc I feel like the added pressure makes it hurt more. I've lost 19 pounds since May which is not all bad:-)
I'm nervous about it but also ready to get it over with. I'm just worried about recovery and home and work. Everyone says "take care of yourself first" until they need something. I can already tell it's wearing on my husband and I'm not even in recovery yet!
Prayers to everyone this week!!
Hello! You sound like your situation is similar to mine except I had many large fibroids and had a TAH with fallopian tube removal and kept both ovaries. I had been running for a while, but never had any trouble. At some point, just like you, I had horrible pain and couldn't run. I even did physical therapy because I thought I was injured.

Turns out, all of the growth in my uterus was messing with a nerve was actually pressed back onto my bowels. Crazy! So this year in March, I ran my last race.

My TAH was on June 24. I am almost at 3 weeks since surgery now. I have been able to get out and walk l, slowly adding more time and speed. The great news is that I can do it with no pain now unlike in March.

My thoughts are with you for an uneventful surgery. I am here if you have any questions! It is all worth feeling better!
Unread 07-12-2015, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Hi Everyone,
I'm scheduled for the robot on Friday, removing my uterus, cervix and tubes because of a "basket" of fibroids, the largest of which is the size of a grapefruit and has squeezed my bladder into the shape of a peanut, according to the MRI I had to see if I was a candidate for focused ultrasound. I am extremely nervous for just about every reason everyone else is, and I wish it were over with already. I've been getting lots of acupuncture in preparation, and my acupuncturist is making a house call once I get home.

I found something that has really helped, and I'd like to share it. It's Bellruth Naperstek's Guided Meditation for Successful Surgery, available on her website Health Journeys. I used this about 15 years ago for spinal fusion surgery, and it really worked well for me, helping with anxiety. Still, I am so much looking forward to the Versed.

I'm grateful for this forum and particularly for all the advice and encouragement!
Thank you for sharing! I am going to look into the Meditation. I could use some help with anxiety right now!
Unread 07-12-2015, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgal123 View Post
Hi! I am a 43 year old mother and wife. I am having LTH on July 15th due to fibroids. I have been waiting got this day to come since April, but as the day approaches I get more and more anxious. The part that bothers me the most is being put under. I am just looking forward to being on the other side and recovering!
You are not alone in this worry. I too am always nervous about being put under. Definitely think of some questions to ask your anesthesiologist just before surgery. You will likely get to meet him/her. I have always gotten the answers I need just by being prepared.

My thoughts are with you for an uneventful surgery and healthy recovery!

Angela
Closed Thread

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register