Pre-Op Hysterectomy: Open House Chat Thread - Today Jul 12, 2020 - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Closed Thread

Pre-Op Hysterectomy: Open House Chat Thread - Today Jul 12, 2020 Pre-Op Hysterectomy: Open House Chat Thread - Today Jul 12, 2020

Unread 07-12-2020, 01:59 PM
Re: Pre-Op Hysterectomy: Open House Chat Thread - Today Jul 12, 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niknak333 View Post
Well let's see I'm 31 and though overweight I'm pretty active. Reason for hysterectomy is post ablation tubal ligation syndrome which is fancy way of saying I hurt pretty bad, cyclic, and opioid pain meds dont even help. Ablation and tubal was worst pain of my life and that's saying alot because I have high pain tolerance usually. I'm extremely nervous for this surgery mainly from pain aspect. Keeping my ovaries but as I was on fertility meds off and on for years I'm also a little nervous bout hormone changes. Still no kids. I'm praying hard this goes well. This site has been a huge help already and I'm looking forward to meeting my same week sisters.
Niknak333. It is good to meet you dear ... so glad you have already found HS to be helpful. My Recovery Thread was my lifeline during recovery ... it was so helpful to recover with others who knew exactly what you were going through.

Your concern about the pain during recovery is very normal. I also have a high pain tolerance and it tends to make me wait to take pain meds sometimes and try to handle it. It will be important to stay ahead of your pain by taking your pain meds on time ... it is hard to play catchup. You will have the chance to Talk with the Anesthesiologist before your surgery. Please don’t hesitate to voice your concern about pain control ... he can let you know the plan they have in place. When you are in the recovery room, let your recovery nurse know if your pain is not controlled.

Pain Management After Hysterectomy

on your surgery dear ... we will be waiting for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-12-2020, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJN12 View Post
Hi-
I don’t quite know how to use this so hopefully this is the place for my introduction. I’m 42 and am having my hysterectomy on Tuesday. I have fibroids and adenomyosis. I’ve been on multiple bouts of hormones (even now combo of Mirena and Nuvaring). Nothing works and the hormones make me crazy.

I do have a question, cause I think I have an ear infection and am not sure what to do. Just had my Covid test so not supposed to leave the house. No fever just headache and ear ache. Any suggestions?
BJN12 ... we are so glad you can be with us. I am sorry that you may have an ear infection dear ... I think it would be good to contact your doctor and let him/her know. It is better to err on the side of caution ... if you need to be on anything, he could start you on it right away.

Best wishes on your surgery dear ... we will be waiting for you.
Unread 07-12-2020, 03:33 PM

Ladies to your Pre Op Open House! We are so glad you’ve joined us. This is your place to introduce yourself, ask your questions, and just share whatever is on your mind as you approach your surgery date.
Please check in with us after your surgery, you will find your thread in the “Hysterectomy Recovery Reports” sub-forum (at the top of the Post Op forum). You should also receive an email with a link. This is your place to post updates and share your progress as you heal.

As our surgery approaches, the nerves can get out of hand! This is completely normal, but knowing that doesn't make it any easier. The waiting truly is the hardest part, so your best course of action is to keep busy. Scrub your house, cook & freeze meals, and prepare your recovery area. Stock up on books, magazines, puzzles, movies and hobbies to keep you quietly busy while you recover. Get out of the house and have fun with family and friends... go for a picnic, to the movies, or perhaps have a spa day. Finally it's important to take quiet time just for you as well. Meditate, yoga, quiet walks or a long bubble bath will soothe your nerves and help give you peace.

Here are some articles to help you prepare:

5 Ways to Prepare & First Surgery

10 Essentials to Pack for Hospital

Coping with Anxiety & Fear Before Hysterectomy

Relaxation Suggestions

Deep breaths, Ladies, you can do this! And we are here for you every step of the way.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-12-2020, 03:38 PM

I am 47 and having a hysterectomy in Tuesday. I have PCOS and I feel like I am having menstrual cramps even when I am not having my period. I am worried about the unknown. I have major control issues. I am confident that my doctor will do what needs to be done. Our plan is to do the surgery via laparoscopic with vaginal assist. Due to size of cysts (9 cm) and the possibility of endometriosis she may have to switch to abdominal. The recovery time concerns me.
Unread 07-12-2020, 03:43 PM

Intimacy Post
Hysterectomy

Intimacy post hysterectomy is a major concern for many of us. This is not a petty worry; sex is a natural and healthy part of being an adult. Please don't be shy to ask all your questions to your GYN, your GP or to us! All questions and concerns are completely valid, and we have all heard it before!

The more time you spend here, the more you will see that we are all very unique and each have our own unique experience. Some women feel sex is much better post hysterectomy, some say it is the same, and some say it isn't as good. I think the reason for our surgery can play a role in this... for example, if you have pain and bleeding with sex, it will likely be better post op once those issues are resolved.

Since our sex drive is largely fueled by our hormones, if you retain your ovaries your sex drive/libido should still be there post hysterectomy. If you have your ovaries removed, HRT can help with this. Women who experience uterine contractions with orgasm will no longer have this sensation once the uterus is removed. Some women feel their orgasm is shallow in comparison.

Here are some articles regarding intimacy post hysterectomy:
Hysterectomy & Intimacy: Ask the Doctor

Hysterectomy, Cervix & Intimacy

Intimacy After Hysterectomy: Better or Worse?

Will Sex Be Different After Hysterectomy?

5 Surprising Facts About Intimacy After Hysterectomy

Will I Lose My Libido?

Vaginal Cleaning & Moisture Post Hysterectomy

Intimacy: Is My Vagina Shorter?
You've come this far and you know your hysterectomy is necessary. Odds of having a satisfying sex life post op are definitely in your favor. So try not to worry, get your positive vibes going for your surgery and then just focus on a healthy recovery!

Unread 07-12-2020, 03:46 PM
Pre-Op Hysterectomy: Open House Chat Thread - Today Jul 12, 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJN12 View Post
Hi-
I don’t quite know how to use this so hopefully this is the place for my introduction. I’m 42 and am having my hysterectomy on Tuesday. I have fibroids and adenomyosis. I’ve been on multiple bouts of hormones (even now combo of Mirena and Nuvaring). Nothing works and the hormones make me crazy.
I do have a question, cause I think I have an ear infection and am not sure what to do. Just had my Covid test so not supposed to leave the house. No fever just headache and ear ache. Any suggestions?
My hysterectomy is scheduled for the 14th also. You might want to call your doctor on Monday regarding your ear infection.
Unread 07-12-2020, 03:51 PM

I want to wish you all the best of luck and wishing for a speedy recovery! I am near the end of my recovery, still have a few months to go until I am considered fully recovered but I want you all to know that this was the BEST decision I have ever made! My hysterectomy was because of severe endometriosis. My ovaries, tubes, uterus and cervix were all removed at age 39. I was in a lot of pain with giant endometrial cysts on my ovaries. The recovery after surgery was way less painful than the pain I was in for years before surgery! Happy surgeries to all!!

Love,

Christy
Unread 07-12-2020, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itzi View Post
My hysterectomy is scheduled for the 14th also. You might want to call your doctor on Monday regarding your ear infection.
Thank you, I will. The 14th can’t come fast enough, all this waiting...eeek!
Unread 07-12-2020, 07:20 PM

Hello, I am 35 and having my surgery on the 17th. I have a history of PCOS, heavy bleeding, anemia and suspected endo.
I am nervous about the recovery as have two small children, but also know this is the right decision. Good luck to everyone this week and best wishes!

Unread 07-12-2020, 08:11 PM

I’m 39 and having surgery on the 16th (everything but ovaries going.). I’ve had endometriosis since I was 12. I found out at my pre-op ultrasound I also probably have Adenomyosis. That would explain my change in pain the last year or so. To add to the list they told me I’m mildly anemic on Friday. While I’m nervous about surgery, everyone I’ve talked to said it’s one of the best things they did. So I’m crossing my fingers I’ll feel the same way.
Closed Thread

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register